Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Open Mind

Grandpa Greenman

I think having an open mind means the ability to listen and put oneself in another's place, before one makes a judgement as to whether the idea has merit.   That does not mean I have to except or respect the idea.  It does not mean I'll not change my mind if new data is brought to my attention.  An open mind doesn't mean I am gullible.   At some point you have to draw a line relative to the evidence presented.   At what point do you draw the line? 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

At what point do you draw the line? 

The line is between possibility and what is. 

• Thanks 3

Not sure if it's possible to answer that question. Surely the 'line' varies with each individual situation? If you had a rigid cut off point, wouldn't that negate the state of 'open mind'?

• Like 4

There is no line to draw. Only evidence and probability.

If you draw a line, it's personal, like: I can accept this much, and no more.

I love science, and I see limitations as a personal issue.

Anything is possible. If not now, then one fine day. To say something is impossible is scientific ignorance.

• Like 1

I think it is a huge step when we realize we can totally see where another person is coming from and even their point of view without having to share it or agree. It helps to communicate when you can hit the points in common and avoid the obvious pot holes.

• Like 4

I believe anything is possible. there is no limit to what I can do.

If i believe this..i can reach great goals and dreams.

On 21.7.2018 at 8:50 PM, Grandpa Greenman said:

I think having an open mind means the ability to listen and put oneself in another's place, before one makes a judgement as to whether the idea has merit.   That does not mean I have to except or respect the idea.  It does not mean I'll not change my mind if new data is brought to my attention.  An open mind doesn't mean I am gullible.   At some point you have to draw a line relative to the evidence presented.   At what point do you draw the line? 

I think you are right. An open mind do not accept bull****. But I think that a open mind can lead to a open heart. And in my understanding this means maturity, with a human heart as a guide.

In mythology wisdom is female (Sophia), this is because a female are open by nature so she can receive a seed. And the only way we can gain new knowledge is to be open. And in the light of new knowledge we can see the world as newborn. Given new life by wisdom, again and again by being open.

Even Thor the God of thunder, (echo of the light) had to be as a child and dress like a women (funny myth) on his way to gain knowledge and retrieve his hammer.

Worth mentioning is the alternative of an open mind, it is a closed mind. And the three childeren of the closed mind (Loke) are anger and greed witch is the wolf Fenris, and fear witch is Hel. And not to forget is the Midgardsworm, witch is the mindset we are thought by culture. A fourth child of Loke (the closed mind) is Night. And night is the world we live in without the new light we all can see things in when open and gaining knowledge. As I see I a bit from the sideline hehe.  :-)

Edited by Skirnum

An open mind is a mind open to any claim that can be substantiated reasonably with evidence. If someone tells me that they can shoot lasers from their eyeballs, I'll believe them if they can prove it. Accepting anything someone says because "oh anything is possible" isn't having an open mind, it is a supreme lack of critical thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Podo said:

An open mind is a mind open to any claim that can be substantiated reasonably with evidence. If someone tells me that they can shoot lasers from their eyeballs, I'll believe them if they can prove it. Accepting anything someone says because "oh anything is possible" isn't having an open mind, it is a supreme lack of critical thinking.

Evidence will change as time goes by. Believing in evidence is therefore religious and do not represent an open mind. Obvious I think.

17 hours ago, Skirnum said:

Evidence will change as time goes by. Believing in evidence is therefore religious and do not represent an open mind. Obvious I think.

No. Accepting evidence and proof is the only logical way to believe a thing. That evidence changes is neither here nor there, because one has to assess a situation to the best of one's abilities in the moment, with the best evidence that is available. Even if that evidence is leading to a false conclusion, it is still illogical to believe non-evidence-based attestations. According to your flawgic, gravity is a religious construction because evidence doesn't matter, despite there being direct observable evidence that stuff falls when you drop it. By extension, there is no such thing as empirical or observable evidence, because "hurp de derp stuff changes so everything is faith." Do you not understand how proof/evidence works, or are you just a hardline religious nut who can't read beyond his chosen mythology?

Evidence and proof are the only sane ways to evaluate the universe. Example: The shape of the Earth. 20,000 years ago, everyone thought the Earth was flat. The evidence they had at the time indicated that the Earth was flat. If someone walked up and stated that the Earth was round, she would not be believed. Other people would be right to disbelieve this round-Earther, because she had no way to prove or even support the truth of her claims. That the Earth actually IS round doesn't matter, because an unsubstantiated claim is worthless. We now KNOW the Earth is round, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that 20k-years-ago-round-Earther was making unsubstantiated claims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Podo said:

No. Accepting evidence and proof is the only logical way to believe a thing

I was a bit short, and therefore I think you misunderstand my point, my fault. The practical is of course to rely on evidence, and I mean in all manners regarding practical things.

But when we separate humans in groups, This has led to racism.

On 21/07/2018 at 7:50 PM, Grandpa Greenman said:

At what point do you draw the line?

when the majority feel what they are hearing/ reading is BS

On 25/07/2018 at 6:39 PM, Podo said:

An open mind is a mind open to any claim that can be substantiated reasonably with evidence.

hmmm? not really:

having an open mind means you'd consider it as a possibility without any evidence IMO

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, LostSouls7 said:

I believe anything is possible. there is no limit to what I can do.

If i believe this..i can reach great goals and dreams.

Go to a 10th story window. Open it. Jump out. No matter how hard you believe, gravity believes in itself a lot more.

If you have any brain function left afterward, you can revise your position.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dejarma said:

hmmm? not really:

having an open mind means you'd consider it as a possibility without any evidence IMO

Then you're wrong. If I say there is an invisible sasquatch in my backyard, but that I can't (or won't) prove it or substantiate it in any way, it is your intellectual duty to call me a moron and carry on with your day. If you lend it any credibility, you're either stupid, religious, or both.

18 hours ago, Skirnum said:

I was a bit short, and therefore I think you misunderstand my point, my fault. The practical is of course to rely on evidence, and I mean in all manners regarding practical things.

But when we separate humans in groups, This has led to racism.

I really don't see what any of this has to do with racism. Please elaborate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an open mind to posibilities which are posible and posible in the future. But there are some things which people claim today which are down right ridiculous, aliens abducting rednecks,  bigfoot living in the wildS,   orbs taken by someone using a flash, etc etc, well there are enough threads on here where i have posted in to show my stance on them.

What is NOT an open mind are believers in woo woo who will not accept facts because it proves their beliefs are...woo woo.

On that note, where is parageorge? 

Some people have opened their minds so much, anything once in there has fallen out.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

On that note, where is parageorge? 

I was half expecting some of the believers who constantly like to chastise the skeptics to add their 2 cents. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Podo said:

Then you're wrong. If I say there is an invisible sasquatch in my backyard, but that I can't (or won't) prove it or substantiate it in any way, it is your intellectual duty to call me a moron and carry on with your day. If you lend it any credibility, you're either stupid, religious, or both.

most wouldn't believe you but there will be a few that feel an invisible sasquatch is possible & would moan at none believers for not having an open mind

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

most wouldn't believe you but there will be a few that feel an invisible sasquatch is possible & would moan at none believers for not having an open mind

And those people would be stupid.

28 minutes ago, Podo said:

And those people would be stupid.

yes of course but this is not being debated here-- your definition of the phrase: 'open mind' is wrong IMO

57 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes of course but this is not being debated here-- your definition of the phrase: 'open mind' is wrong IMO

My definition is not accounting for idiots. To be open-minded is to be open to anything, provided there is sufficient reason to be open to it. To blindly believe anything at all isn't being open minded, it's being an idiot.

32 minutes ago, Podo said:

My definition is not accounting for idiots. To be open-minded is to be open to anything, provided there is sufficient reason to be open to it.

NO-- you do not need  <sufficient reason/ evidence> to be open minded.... it's the level of open-mindedness is where the problem is, as in your invisible sasquatch example

Edited by Dejarma

6 hours ago, Podo said:

I really don't see what any of this has to do with racism. Please elaborate.

All racists trust their experiences. And it is why they are racists. They BELIVE in evidence that they know. It is of course stupid, but they do believe in evidence they know. Why? Are they open minded? Are nationalists open minded? I think all limitations will dehumanize humans. And  the source is a closed mind. Missing the heart. As I see it.