Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yonaguni - monument or geological oddity?

Sir Wearer of Hats

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni_Monument

The Two camps: 

It was built by someone *insert Georgio comment here* versus...

its a geological formation that just looks cool/weird.

The thing that swings it for geological formation for me is the absence of other similar structures in other parts of Japan.

Geological formation. I was there personally and had several friends and family members dive it........

• Like 3

Like I said "Unko"  

*That's NihonGo for "poop".*

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Geological formation. I was there personally and had several friends and family members dive it........

See Aquaman or any alien bodies?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

See Aquaman or any alien bodies?

No, But I don't scuba dive. Only sit in the boat. 

• Like 2

I watched a single documentary on the subject, never been personally and haven't studied it in depth. I was somewhat intrigued by what appeared to be the right angles of a stairwell and what (superficially at least) resembled a platform. 

I am still on the fence here, though Hancock's promotion of the site does incline me to lean towards it being a natural geological formation. Though perhaps utilized to some extent by ancient man. The stairwell may very well have been artificially constructed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

I watched a single documentary on the subject, never been personally and haven't studied it in depth. I was somewhat intrigued by what appeared to be the right angles of a stairwell and what (superficially at least) resembled a platform. 

I am still on the fence here, though Hancock's promotion of the site does incline me to lean towards it being a natural geological formation. Though perhaps utilized to some extent by ancient man. The stairwell may very well have been artificially constructed.

There are some small Jomon sites around it. I don't remember the details.  I'm headed up to Sister-sans. She might have something in her library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

There are some small Jomon sites around it. I don't remember the details.  I'm headed up to Sister-sans. She might have something in her library.

Yes, I recall Robert Scotch mentioning this in the History Channel documentary (way back when the History Channel aired actual history).

He believed the structure to have been natural, though utilized and serving as an inspiration for contemporary Jomon sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lord Harry said:

He believed the structure to have been natural, though utilized and serving as an inspiration for contemporary Jomon sites.

I agree with him.

I think it was the "Giant's Causeway" or "Devils Tower" of that group of Jomon. It had the "sacred site" feeling. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I agree with him.

I think it was the "Giant's Causeway" or "Devils Tower" of that group of Jomon. It had the "sacred site" feeling. 

Interesting subject. This thread has some potential. It can provide a platform for an intense scholarly discussion of Japanese antiquities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It should be noted however, that although Robert Scotch is generally a good scholar, he does hold some fringe positions. He is in the camp that supports an advanced, pre-Egyptian age for the Sphinx. Though this shouldn't necessarily disqualify his sober analysis of Japanese antiquities.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 2

The angles look impressive unless you live in shale country like I  do. Then they look a lot less so. The proportions of the alleged design make zero sense unless it was the jomon equivalent of outsider art.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

The angles look impressive unless you live in shale country like I  do. Then they look a lot less so. The proportions of the alleged design make zero sense unless it was the jomon equivalent of outsider art.

Onion Mancer comes at this subject from a unique perspective which is good. I essentially agree that yomagoni is primarily a natural geological formation. Though other evidence, including the presence of chisel marks on the "platform" suggests it was utilized for some purpose by the Jomon people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

Interesting subject. This thread has some potential. It can provide a platform for an intense scholarly discussion of Japanese antiquities.

I've been waiting for that. The Jomon have a cultural and genetic relationship with the Algic Peoples. I always believed we followed a coastal route and Nippon was one of our "stop overs". Shintoism and Algonquian spirituality are almost identical. 

@Tatetopa also has a interest and is familiar with Nihon culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jōmon_people

• Like 2

MtDNA Haprogroup of Jōmon people is characterized by M7a, N9b. M7a is the highest frequency in Okinawa and N9b is in Hokkaido. In addition, Band F are found from Jōmon people.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jōmon_people#Genetics

A lot of Jomon women dwelled on "The Rock"

• Like 1

Excellent information @Piney. Keep it coming. I wonder if the Jomon culture provided the foundation for classic Japanese civilization with the deification of the emperor and the samurai order?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The thing that swings it for geological formation for me is the absence of other similar structures in other parts of Japan.

How about "the absence of doors, windows, and interior hollow spaces"

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

How about "the absence of doors, windows, and interior hollow spaces"

Many natural geological features have however been utilized by ancient man. Abu Roash by the Egyptians, Mt. Sinai by the Hebrews, Crow Canyon by the Anasazi etc...

I see no reason to believe yomagoni would have been any different.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Excellent information @Piney. Keep it coming. I wonder if the Jomon culture provided the foundation for classic Japanese civilization with the deification of the emperor and the samurai order?

The Yayoi  brought that in from the mainland (Korea?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yayoi_period

A  interesting note. The Abe Clan-family is one of the oldest in Japan and could be of partial or full Emishi origin.

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oops double post.....

Edited by Piney

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

A  interesting note. The Abe Clan-family is one of the oldest in Japan and could be of partial or full Emishi origin.

There's a general reluctance (to put it mildly) by the Japanese to consider the early influence on their culture by the ancient Koreans.  Or any other Asian cultures, I think.  Maybe this is changing; I haven't been to Japan in a while now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Excellent information. I suspect the indigenous Ainu are the direct descendents of the prehistoric Jomon people, while the modern Japanese are the descendants of the Yayoi colonists.

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

Excellent information. I suspect the indigenous Ainu are the direct descendents of the prehistoric Jomon people, while the modern Japanese are the descendants of the Yayoi colonists.

Modern Japanese are both but due to racism do not like to connect themselves with the Ainu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Many natural geological features have however been utilized by ancient man. Abu Roash by the Egyptians, Mt. Sinai by the Hebrews, Crow Canyon by the Anasazi etc...

I see no reason to believe yomagoni would have been any different.

Except for the fact that no Jomon artifacts have ever been found on Yonaguni Island. Why occupy this small promontory but not the huge island a few hundred yards away?

Harte

• Like 3