Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant 'dire wolf' filmed chasing dog in woods

UM-Bot

Dire wolves weren't really much bigger. Just stockier. I wonder if this is evolution or hybrid vigor ( a wolf-dog mix )

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

Dire wolves weren't really much bigger. Just stockier. I wonder if this is evolution or hybrid vigor ( a wolf-dog mix )

there are some VERY large species of dog. cross something like a great dane with a wolf...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

there are some VERY large species of dog. cross something like a great dane with a wolf...

It might be a cross with a bear dog (used for hunting bears). The black mouths are Spanish war dog, (a type of mastiff) mixes, Let me see if I can find some pictures.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I found pics of Newfoundlands which are the right size and color. But I couldn't find any black mouths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_dog 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The woods themselves look like a piney woods pulp forest that was replanted in the last decade.

@Sir Wearer of Hats  Does somebody know a location? 

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ruddy hell, that's a big canine.

the other dog might be really small

• Thanks 1

The only reason this is called a "Direwolf" is because of "A Song of Ice and Fire", or more precisely, "A Game of Thrones" which portrayed Direwolves as mythical, giant-sized wolves rather than the ice-age canines they actually were. This is most likely just a very large, feral dog of a big breed, or perhaps as Piney pointed out a half-wolf.

• Like 2

latest?cb=20170628162241

The Black Timber Wolf. Could be a mutation. That might account for such a large size. Personally I wouldn't have even let my dog get close to the thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's the biggest chihuahua I have ever seen.

You have never seen a Carolina dog mating gone wrong.  We call it a "Toby". It looks like a Doberman size chihuahua with it's buggy eyes pointing in different directions. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have never seen a Carolina dog mating gone wrong.  We call it a "Toby". It looks like a Doberman size chihuahua with it's buggy eyes pointing in different directions. :lol:

Wendy-the-bully-whippet.jpg

This is the effect of a myostatin deficiency in a dog. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This is the effect of a myostatin deficiency in a dog. 

Toby was the accidental product of 2 full siblings whose parents were related. He's was a "packbilly". :tu:

Just now, Piney said:

Toby was the accidental product of 2 full siblings whose parents were related. He's was a "packbilly". :tu:

What I was trying to get across is that if this video is legit. It could be a Black Timber Wolf with some genetic mutations, going by the size and agility of the thing. I have a myostatin chihuahua. She's a stocky thing. Like a sausage link on steroids. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

What I was trying to get across is that if this video is legit. It could be a Black Timber Wolf with some genetic mutations, going by the size and agility of the thing. I have a myostatin chihuahua. She's a stocky thing. Like a sausage link on steroids. 

Oh. I got you.

Toby was a skinny thing with a big head who ran into walls. He could of been a Nickelodeon star. 

His parents Dusty and Clio could climb trees, read Latin and do higher math. We called them the Billybumblers from the 'Gunslinger' books

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

The only reason this is called a "Direwolf" is because of "A Song of Ice and Fire", or more precisely, "A Game of Thrones" which portrayed Direwolves as mythical, giant-sized wolves rather than the ice-age canines they actually were. This is most likely just a very large, feral dog of a big breed, or perhaps as Piney pointed out a half-wolf.

Agreed.  I've seen larger dogs at the local dog park.  It does have the look of a domestic.

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

latest?cb=20170628162241

The Black Timber Wolf. Could be a mutation. That might account for such a large size. Personally I wouldn't have even let my dog get close to the thing.

Wolves are a bit smaller than the size of the animal in the film.

• Like 1

My roomies got a huge wolf dog,  we figured out it is a timber/white shepherd.  It is bigger than any of the wolves I have been privileged to meet or shepards  I sure wouldn't let my dog go after a wolf, wolves will lure a dog away with play behavior into a trap, makes an easy kill for the pack.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

My roomies got a huge wolf dog,  we figured out it is a timber/white shepherd.  It is bigger than any of the wolves I have been privileged to meet or shepards  I sure wouldn't let my dog go after a wolf, wolves will lure a dog away with play behavior into a trap, makes an easy kill for the pack.  

Blue heelers and Carolina dogs who are bonded to a farm/ranch do the same thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

O man, disappointing. Game of Thrones is such a modern upstart.  Here I thought dire wolves gained fame from Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead singing about the Dire Wolf in the 70's.  They might have exaggerated its size and card playing abilities just a bit.

In the timbers to Fennario, the wolves are running round,
The winter was so hard and cold, froze ten feet 'neath the ground.
Don't murder me, I beg of you, don't murder me. Please, don't murder me.

I sat down to my supper, 'twas a bottle of red whisky,
I said my prayers and went to bed, that's the last they saw of me.

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf, six hundred pounds of sin,
Was grinning at my window, all I said was "Come on in".

The Wolf came in, I got my cards, we sat down for a game.
I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same.

In the backwash of Fennario, the black and bloody mire,
The Dire Wolf collects his dues, while the boys sing 'round the fire.
No, no, no don't murder me. I beg of you,
Don't murder me. Please, don't murder me.

Songwriters: Jerome J. Garcia / Robert C. Hunter

Dire Wolf lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It reminds me of my old dog too. She was found in the woods in Mt. Shasta as a puppy she is 6 months in the first pic. The shelter guessed Akita mix. She had teeth like a wolf and was very smart. Tan  undercoat but similar.  Aren't there alot of wolf coyote crosses going on? Not to mention wolf dog crosses.

FB_IMG_1532286201666.jpg

FB_IMG_1532285830586.jpg

FB_IMG_1532286167963.jpg

Sorry I guess they aren't the best pics to see her shape it's what I could find I would bet that video is a wolf or wolf dog mix tho

Edited by Nnicolette

People really need to stop holding their phones vertically when they shoot video. How can they not know better? Everyone knows by now it makes the image look extremely cropped when displayed on anything other than their phone, held vertically.

That said, there's no real way to judge scale. I don't think it's fake, but I also don't think the dark colored 'wolf' appears so large that it's definitely cryptid or whatever.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

O man, disappointing. Game of Thrones is such a modern upstart.  Here I thought dire wolves gained fame from Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead singing about the Dire Wolf in the 70's.  They might have exaggerated its size and card playing abilities just a bit.

Well, yes they seem to have exeggareted the size quite a bit, but recent archeological discoveries actually proof that direwolves were very skilled poker and blackjack players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh please that's to dogs playing. And it ain't even much bigger than the other one. 

• Like 3

I feel sorry for the poor dog that possible got killed because the person filming is a complete and total idiot! Let the Dire Wolf be, if that is what it was. I would have much preferred if the dire wolf had left the dog alone and attacked the idiot filming. What an absolute moron!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2