Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant 'dire wolf' filmed chasing dog in woods

UM-Bot

On 7/22/2018 at 4:38 PM, Nzo said:

I feel sorry for the poor dog that possible got killed because the person filming is a complete and total idiot! Let the Dire Wolf be, if that is what it was. I would have much preferred if the dire wolf had left the dog alone and attacked the idiot filming. What an absolute moron!!!

i AM SHOCKED at the amount of dog owners who want to put their dogs in harm. They allow small dogs to chase coyotes.  Will allow their labs to go right up to an angry pit rottie or shep to get its face torn off. Will allow dog to bark fight wild a moose and get killed. I still don't understand why  owners try to get their pets killed. But it is so common.  Notice how many people did not like your post? SHows how stupid and ignorant people are these days. Some allow dogs go fight with a cougar, bear, wild boar, horse anything to get their pet killed. Maybe they are sick of taking care of the dog? 

Edited by CANDIDPETS

Candidpets, I understand and agree with your anger - animal cruelty including putting pets at danger is unacceptable. In this case though, I agree with others on this thread that it looks like two dogs playing.

Alright so let's just knock this one out.

#1: We have no ideal how big the white/brown do is.

#2: We have no ideal how low the camera is (Seams to be pretty low)

#3: "Dire wolfs" Where actually only A bit stalker then modern wolves.

#4: Dire wolves where. (Follow me on this one) Smaller then some modern dog breeds....

American-Foxhound-On-White-01.jpg

The dog looks to be about the size of a foxhound. So "Large mid sized" Dog.

By comparison My dog weights 2-3 times as much as a fox hound.

Actually my dog weights about as much as a dire wolf did.

Simply put. That's a dog.. and another larger dog.

From the original uploader of the video: 28 Sept, 2015 Chris Street @chrisdstreet on twitter

"I work as a fishing guide in northern Saskatchewan and I shot this video on one of our trails around the lodge. We get a lot of bears that come around the lodge but this year we had a black wolf that started to come around for a few days. We spotted the wolf through the window of the kitchen in the lodge and I made my way outside with the camera. The lodge manager Dan went for the shotgun. When I started to take pictures the wolf left, then returned a few minutes later and that's when trigger took after the wolf. The wolf waited for trigger to turn away from him and that's when he grabbed the dog in the back end and threw her up in the air right in front of me. Dan shot the shotgun into the air and that broke the fight up. The wolf turned and left, we followed the wolf into the bush and shot again to scare him off. The wolf came back two more times that day looking for the dog we think. Trigger had a few good wounds and cuts but she is fine now."

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

That thing reminded me of a couple of unforgettable dog encounters I had some years ago while me and my brother were doing our evening walks at the outskirts of the city. Both times it was already twilight which certainly added to the mood of the encounters :lol:, that canine was some kind of bloodhound (I don't dig all these breeds) which was just enormous, about 1 meter tall at the shoulder and seemingly very old. It could not bark but always produced some bone-chilling short husky howl instead. It was walked by a middle-aged man and a woman, and the man barely managed to hold the monster on the leash as it was trying to reach at us. That was a real-life hound of the Baskervilles for sure. :D

Edited by Chaldon

On 7/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

there are some VERY large species of dog. cross something like a great dane with a wolf...

Or a Newfoundland! Imagine a wolf that size chasing you...I saw one for the first time at a vets office and let me tell you those dogs are frigging huge!

Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: Suit yourself. I'm easy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:47 AM, XenoFish said:

Wendy-the-bully-whippet.jpg

This is the effect of a myostatin deficiency in a dog. 

That dog needs to teach me how to work out.

8 hours ago, ~Onyx~ said:

Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: Suit yourself. I'm easy.

Gene Wilder,one of the true funny guys of our time.

12 hours ago, Chaldon said:

That thing reminded me of a couple of unforgettable dog encounters I had some years ago while me and my brother were doing our evening walks at the outskirts of the city. Both times it was already twilight which certainly added to the mood of the encounters :lol:, that canine was some kind of bloodhound (I don't dig all these breeds) which was just enormous, about 1 meter tall at the shoulder and seemingly very old. It could not bark but always produced some bone-chilling short husky howl instead. It was walked by a middle-aged man and a woman, and the man barely managed to hold the monster on the leash as it was trying to reach at us. That was a real-life hound of the Baskervilles for sure. :D

I doubt that was a bloodhound,they use them to track people but have no aggression towards them.Sounds like a Fila Brasileiro,used on big game and tracking slaves,a very formidable animal.

• Thanks 1

This is not a direwolf but a dog. Probably a lost dog. 

Some made the suggestion that was big therefore could he been a direwolf. According to wikipedia; The dire wolf was about the same size as the largest modern gray wolves (Canis lupus), which are the Yukon wolf and the northwestern wolf. C. d. guildayiweighed on average 60 kilograms (132 lb) and C. d. dirus was on average 68 kg (150 lb). 

So it was a modern dog, one of the cross breads that grow large in size. Bigger than wolves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, openozy said:

I doubt that was a bloodhound,they use them to track people but have no aggression towards them.Sounds like a Fila Brasileiro,used on big game and tracking slaves,a very formidable animal.

Took a look at the Wikipedia page - yeah, that looks quite like the beast we met. Thanks!

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1