Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shooting in Toronto with multiple fatalities

Ozfactor

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/toronto-shooting-several-people-reportedly-dead-over-several-blocks/news-story/169e1a8e896d4438e75e82fd57862625

MULTIPLE people have reportedly been killed in a mass shooting across several blocks in the Canadian city of Toronto.

A police spokesperson told local media the shooting occurred outside a restaurant on the corner of Logan and Danforth avenues in Greektown about 10pm Sunday local time.

At least nine people, including one child, have been shot but their conditions are unknown. Toronto Police have confirmed that a young girl is among the victims. A tenth person, the gunman, has been killed. Police responded to reports of up to 25 shots being fired near the Brass Taps Pizza Pub. Local reporter Jeremy Chohn tweeted: “Victims are spread across many blocks”.

• Sad 8

:cry:

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I wanted to throw up waking up to this news. That area is just so busy with families https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07/22/multiple-people-shot-at-danforth-and-logan-aves.html

You and me both. The Danforth is one of the last places you would expect anything like this to happen. When I think of all the outdoor cafes and patios, not to mention the number of people who would have been out and about even at 10 PM. I shudder to think just how many more people could have been killed. Unbelievably tragic.

• Sad 6

14 minutes ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Do we know anything if the attacker? His motives? 

Nothing at this stage , only that he was dressed head to toe in black 

• Like 3

I believe it has been 2 confirmed dead and the police engaged the suspect who later fled and was found dead a short while later.

• Like 2

2 dead, 12 wounded.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/americas/toronto-restaurant-shooting/index.html

White male in his 30's, dressed all in black, carrying a bag. He shouted something before gunning down a woman nearby as she tried to run away. He kept firing and reloading, until Police arrived. He then died either due to self-inflicted wounds or by Police gunfire, they aren't sure at this time.

Sounds like another nut job come undone. How do we curb this onslaught of mental illness? People are committing suicide in record numbers, depression rates are at an all time high, a large percentage of the population is medicated....this society is sick and these mass shootings are a symptom of that. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I wanted to throw up waking up to this news.

I am sooo sick of seeing this type of thing.......:(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Newspapers aren't saying much right now. They do confirm that 2 are deceased.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/world/canada/toronto-shooting-greektown.html

The area is known as a Greek neighborhood.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/americas/toronto-restaurant-shooting/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

It's sickening unfortunately it is something we have to live with nowdays you cant protect yourself against a lone nutcase. Thankfully Most people dont want to commit such crimes , you have to be mentally ill to do so

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 3

So sad.

• Sad 3

The two victims were only 18 yrs old and 10 yrs old.  :cry: My heart goes out to their families and the other victims of this horrific act of violence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-24/canada-shooting-victims-identified-as-girl-10-and-woman-18/10028194

The 18 yr old has been identified and now reports are coming in that a man with a knife was just arrested near the Canadian Parliament building during the changing of the guard.

https://wtop.com/canada/2018/07/the-latest-1-victim-dead-after-man-shoots-14-in-toronto/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a better article about the knife incident that took place this morning. It wasn't released until this afternoon. The man was 24 yrs old.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/man-with-knife-arrested-following-incident-on-parliament-hill-1.4024464

Edited by susieice

Knifes are horrible horrible weapons in most cases you wont realize you've been stabbed or even see the knife in an attack. If you see someone carrying a knife get to a safe distance atleast ( 8 metres) away, run to a safe place or hide, barricade yourself  if you cant get away. Then call the police. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

no calls for strickter gun and knife laws?

Legislation tightening controls over the sale and licensing of firearms was unveiled last March. It's likely, given the spike in gun violence in Toronto (and especially after last night's shooting), that gun control laws will be further strengthened.

It's not likely, however, that you will see the Canadian members here debating gun laws. Everyone's immediate concern is for the victims and their families.

What needs to get done on the gun front will get done. We're not a nation obsessed with gun ownership. The fewer guns out there the better.

• Like 5

The problem is that anyone can easily get hold of a gun and that within 20 to 30min. Or you can 3d print one. :-(. Would love to see better gun control laws.

Just now, Avalanche said:

The problem is that anyone can easily get hold of a gun and that within 20 to 30min. Or you can 3d print one. :-(. Would love to see better gun control laws.

seriously?anyone in Canada can easily get hold of a gun and that within 20 to 30min.????

you can print one? wow, you tried that and it worked????

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, aztek said:

seriously?anyone in Canada can easily get hold of a gun and that within 20 to 30min.????

you can print one? wow, you tried that and it worked????

Yep if you know where to look...and im in Sweden  hence if i can you most likely can too.No i haven't cause its illegal. look it up on the tube and you shall find or google it.

Edited by Avalanche

25 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Legislation tightening controls over the sale and licensing of firearms was unveiled last March. It's likely, given the spike in gun violence in Toronto (and especially after last night's shooting), that gun control laws will be further strengthened.

It's not likely, however, that you will see the Canadian members here debating gun laws. Everyone's immediate concern is for the victims and their families.

What needs to get done on the gun front will get done. We're not a nation obsessed with gun ownership. The fewer guns out there the better.

Erm our gun laws are just fine up here in Canada. They def don't need tightening. Our mental health system and justice system not so much. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bavarian Raven said:

Erm our gun laws are just fine up here in Canada. They def don't need tightening. Our mental health system and justice system not so much. 

Yep, let's not overreact to this Canadian gun laws are just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Avalanche said:

Yep if you know where to look...and im in Sweden  hence if i can you most likely can too.No i haven't cause its illegal look it up on the tube and you shall find or google it.

seriously? it is illegal to look it up on the tube? wow, what a wonderful place you live at.

• Thanks 1