Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China's newly discovered dinosaur

Still Waters

A newly discovered dinosaur may be re-writing China's geological history, according to recent findings.

The latest addition to the family of giant, long-necked dinosaurs known as sauropods, Lingwulong shenqi lived in the north of the country about 174 million years ago.

At this time, East Asia was thought to have split from the supercontinent Pangaea.

But Lingwulong may be evidence that that was not the case.

Part of a subgroup called the neosauropods, which included brontosaurus, diplodocus and brachiosaurus, Lingwulong appeared exactly where it shouldn't - in northern China, 15 million years earlier than any other known dinosaurs from this group.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44937812

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Isn't it often considered that the vast majority of extinct species is completely lost to us due to the rare conditions needed for fossilization? So it's really a wonder how much we do know and very fortunate that this new sauropod was discovered!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Does it have wings and breath fire? Sensationalising.

The "dragon" in the title refers to the dinosaur's name, Linwulong, which means "Lingwu dragon" in Mandarin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they may have all the names before they find anything. Starts around 2nd grade with "If I find a dinosaur I'm naming it _______"

Edited by TripGun