Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida's Stand your ground to be tested

and-then

Just now, freetoroam said:

Did they go and complain before or after the shooting?

Before

• Like 1

Just now, lost_shaman said:

This is getting old. Law enforcement sided with the shooter in this case. 

The sheriff has, the DA hasn't made a decision yet. Which after watching the video on a large screen I cant imagine they wont prosecute, like I said if they dont the next DOJ most likely will. 

Regardless legal does not equate moral. Ill stand on the moral side any day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

A shove might leave bruising that will heal

Or throwing someone on the pavement violently as we see here might crack your skull and kill you. The assault was deadly force if you agree or not. 

• Thanks 1

Even just punching someone in the face can kill. There was an incident about two years ago where a homeowner was trying to park in his driveway and got out and moved a traffic cone. A construction worker walked up and punched the homeowner for moving the cone and the homeowner died. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It was bad enough that another customer came inside to tell the manager that a man was harassing a woman outside. 

.just thought after reading more, this could be the reason the victim went out with all guns blazing at Drejka.....he very posibly did not know why this guy was harassing his wife with the kids in the car....hmmmm.....my husband would not have been too polite over that if it had been me. 

So did the husband hear the customer complaining and then see it was his car?

When the guy comes out to his car....where is the manager or did the guy come out  having not heard the complaint?

But still...where is the manager after being told there is a problem in the car park, its not as if there has not been before, remember Drejka had been reported to the police before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

Or throwing someone on the pavement violently as we see here might crack your skull and kill you. The assault was deadly force if you agree or not. 

Now you see I have deliberately used the word "shove", because it has the harshest conotations you can actually put on the act without over exagerating it. I did this on purpose. He did not Violently throw, he open palm pushed the man away, and then backed off. You need to close your hands around an object to throw it. open palm =push, grab and pick up=throw.

Over exagerating the act is a poor argument.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lost_shaman said:

Even just punching someone in the face can kill. There was an incident about two years ago where a homeowner was trying to park in his driveway and got out and moved a traffic cone. A construction worker walked up and punched the homeowner for moving the cone and the homeowner died. 

You're kinda highlighting why the victim might have felt it was important to get the yelling man out of arms reach of his wife. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Jeeze...just for moving a cone.

Just shows the rage people get into involving cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Now you see I have deliberately used the word "shove", because it has the harshest conotations you can actually put on the act without over exagerating it. I did this on purpose. He did not Violently throw, he open palm pushed the man away, and then backed off. You need to close your hands around an object to throw it. open palm =push grab and pick up=throw.

Over exagerating the act is a poor argument.

And I deliberately said he was throwing the man because it was WAY more than just a causal "shove". It was a potentially deadly physical assault.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Before

Thankyou...see my post #106. 

Thought about that bit after.

And I deliberately said he was throwing the man because it was WAY more than just a causal "shove". It was a potentially deadly physical assault.

More potentially deadly than a bullet to the chest?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

More potentially deadly than a bullet to the chest?

That's here nor there. He was within his rights to defend himself once McGlockton assaulted him. Had McGlockton actually turned away this would be manslaughter. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen the video, but I wish it had sound. For all we know the younger man could have been shouting "I'm gonna kill you!" Or the like. I've seen guys in a rage take a few steps back while working themselves up and then rush forward to physically assault the person they are arguing with. Sound would help distinguish more of the situation. It's too sad all the way around. People aren't taught coping skills anymore...or to respect others and to never put your hands on another human. If the young man had gone out and said "What the hells going on here? Or whoa dude, get away from my wife!" or any other words instead of laying hands on the guy this would have had a different outcome. Maybe the older guy threatened to turn them in causing the $300 fine and that caused rage. I'm sure there are parts of the story we are missing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's here nor there. He was within his rights to defend himself once McGlockton assaulted him. Had McGlockton actually turned away this would be manslaughter. 

And I believe the right to defend what is yours, ie:your family, out weighs the right to defend a disabled carpark. I hope this case does go further. I hope that a sensible and moral decision is eventually reached and that the law is tested to become what it should be. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You're kinda highlighting why the victim might have felt it was important to get the yelling man out of arms reach of his wife. 

Especially if he heard a customer complain. He had his son with him: 

McGlockton, 28, and his 5-year-old son went inside the store.

Before he goes up to Drejka, Drejka is seen talking to someone at the door...staff? Then the guy goes up to him, no discussion and where is the son?

Are we missing the beginning of all this?

Not justifying the murder.

Just asking what happened before hand there is someone talking to Drejka, we do not see McGlockton talking him or visa versa.

Is there another video of before?

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

defend a disabled carpark.

It has nothing to do with the Parking space after it turns to physical violence. At that point it is all about the physical violence. 

24 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

Or throwing someone on the pavement violently as we see here might crack your skull and kill you. . 

Which it did not. Something the killer would have known by the time he pulled out his gun and shot the victim. 

6 minutes ago, skliss said:

I haven't seen the video, but I wish it had sound. For all we know the younger man could have been shouting "I'm gonna kill you!" Or the like. I've seen guys in a rage take a few steps back while working themselves up and then rush forward to physically assault the person they are arguing with. Sound would help distinguish more of the situation. It's too sad all the way around. People aren't taught coping skills anymore...or to respect others and to never put your hands on another human. If the young man had gone out and said "What the hells going on here? Or whoa dude, get away from my wife!" or any other words instead of laying hands on the guy this would have had a different outcome. Maybe the older guy threatened to turn them in causing the $300 fine and that caused rage. I'm sure there are parts of the story we are missing.

There always are. However the legal process relies on evidence, not your imagination. 

Or is supposed to, at least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skliss said:

By the looks of in the video, Drejka is talking to someone at the door, McGlockton walks up from the side and shoves Drejka, chances are Drejka may not even have known it was his car.

Some big black guy comes upto you and shoves you??? Hmm...dodgy situation to be in. 

2 minutes ago, Setton said:

There always are. However the legal process relies on evidence, not your imagination. 

In this case there is video and law enforcement sided with the shooter. 

In this case there is video and law enforcement sided with the shooter. 

Having watched again and again....McGlockton walks up to him and shoves him...his son who went with him to the shop is not there. Did Drejka know it was his car?

Are we missing the initial part of the video?

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Did Drejka know it was his car?

I assume he did not. But that's here nor there. He certainly didn't see him coming to defend against his violent assault that's for sure. 

• Like 1

I assume he did not. But that's here nor there. He certainly didn't see him coming to defend against his violent assault that's for sure. 

On the video...he did not see him coming and being Florida, when someone that big shoves you, hmm..i would feel very scared. 

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

On the video...he did not see him coming and being Florida, when someone that big shoves you, hmm..i would feel very scared. 

You wouldn't be alone in that regard. This clearly figures into whether the shooting was justified or not. 

• Like 1

Again, I wish there had been sound, we don't know if there were verbal threats of more violence. And I'm not saying that the younger guy would have gone thru with it, but if he were angry or convincing enough the older guy might have thought so. It's a tough call all the way around. As a woman I know that a man can throw me to the ground hard enough to cause major damage or even death or just land one punch hard enough that will kill me. Females walk around every day of our lives knowing that to be a fact. Maybe, as a disabled man, he walks around with that fear always in the back of his head too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skliss said:

Maybe, as a disabled man, he walks around with that fear always in the back of his head too.

You don't even have to be disabled, any other guy could do this to any other guy too.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked