Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook loses $120B of market value

Eldorado

Facebook stock suffered the largest one-day loss of any publicly traded company in history when its shares plunged nearly 20 percent Thursday, erasing about $120 billion of the social media giant's market value. Some shareholders are now saying co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is part of the problem.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2018/07/26/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-net-worth-drops/843178002/

Such a shame.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The younger generation does not seem to be adopting it. Then there are the privacy concerns, data selling, accusations of bias.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

The younger generation does not seem to be adopting it. Then there are the privacy concerns, data selling, accusations of bias.

It’s like pop music, each generation has theirs which is perfect but the next generation doesn’t like it and instead adopts it’s own pop music which, to them, is perfect.

• Like 3

its what they get for spying. and being new world order pieces of garbage!

karma is truly a horny ****..

Facebook is the new myspace.. and its their own fault for being power hungry and greedy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This has probably been my favorite news headline this year,i feel kinda like Michelle Obama did when for the first time in her life she was proud of her country... :rofl:

I remember not too long ago Zuke was one of the Dems biggest future hopefuls for POTUS!...glad that never happened,as stupid as he made our voted in idiots/representatives look when being questioned about his spying and selling info...it's insane to think about what he could have gotten away with as POTUS! :w00t:

I havn't had or used "fakebook" since '10 and have lived a perfectly normal life without it ;)

Hope this is the begining of the end...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It’s like pop music, each generation has theirs which is perfect but the next generation doesn’t like it and instead adopts it’s own pop music which, to them, is perfect.

Who wants to be in the same social club as mum and dad and sometimes granny and grandpa!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I remember when everyone was on AOL.   I still have Facebook.  My original idea for it was on online photo album for the friends and family.  But with the security issues, identity theft, etc. the wife and I stopped posting pictures of us and the kid for the most part.  Seems that most of the people that still post just use it as a platform to argue politics and post amusing videos.  Pretty much the only reason I still have it now is to see the occasional snapshot of what friends from years ago are doing.

I guess my point is that I'm uncertain as to the overall purpose of it anymore and whether or not it can securely provide for that purpose.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

This has probably been my favorite news headline this year,i feel kinda like Michelle Obama did when for the first time in her life she was proud of her country... :rofl:

I remember not too long ago Zuke was one of the Dems biggest future hopefuls for POTUS!...glad that never happened,as stupid as he made our voted in idiots/representatives look when being questioned about his spying and selling info...it's insane to think about what he could have gotten away with as POTUS! :w00t:

I havn't had or used "fakebook" since '10 and have lived a perfectly normal life without it ;)

Hope this is the begining of the end...

Trust me it is.. facebook is done

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I remember when everyone was on AOL.   I still have Facebook.  My original idea for it was on online photo album for the friends and family.  But with the security issues, identity theft, etc. the wife and I stopped posting pictures of us and the kid for the most part.  Seems that most of the people that still post just use it as a platform to argue politics and post amusing videos.  Pretty much the only reason I still have it now is to see the occasional snapshot of what friends from years ago are doing.

I guess my point is that I'm uncertain as to the overall purpose of it anymore and whether or not it can securely provide for that purpose.

i just use it to act crazy on there.. and make money lol.. other than that i really dont post anything personal

Virtual money of a virtual product. Ppl. that invest real money into internet business and expect to retire must be really dumb. 

16 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Virtual money of a virtual product. Ppl. that invest real money into internet business and expect to retire must be really dumb. 

Bitcoin?

• Like 1

On 28/07/2018 at 9:38 PM, LostSouls7 said:

its what they get for spying. and being new world order pieces of garbage!

karma is truly a horny ****..

Facebook is the new myspace.. and its their own fault for being power hungry and greedy

Ha myspace was full of emos

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 7:26 PM, LostSouls7 said:

Trust me it is.. facebook is done

It is certainly losing it's status as a powerhouse, that much is certain. 

I have never used Facebook, not once in my life. I was thinking about it a couple of years ago, just to make contact with people I lost along the way... but then they started to get all political and the privacy issues came up.

Screw it. Nobody that doubles-down on doing the wrong things gets a minute of my time.

• Like 1

Facebook blocks anyone with views about freedom..; they are evil and globalist who hate America..

and hate you and hate Freedom. I just use it to make money. But it's going down like myspace did.

I predicted its downfall last year and people thought I was crazy. but hey now people see how evil they truly are.

I hope Facebook goes the way of MySpace, and the sooner the better! It depresses people. There is an entire generation of young people who don't know what it's like to actually interact with each other face to face. I can't even sit and watch a Movie with my own Daughters because every two minutes they are on their phones checking Facebook. It's ridiculous.  You can't even have a conversation with a young person because mid-sentence they will ignore you because their phone dings with a facebook notification. I say good riddance to Zuckerberg  and I hope Facebook fails and dies! The world will be a better place without it!

Edited by lost_shaman

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, Eldorado said:

Who wants to be in the same social club as mum and dad and sometimes granny and grandpa!?

Jimmy Buffet fans? I have seen little kids (7-8 yrs old) to older folks (75+) at his concerts. Every one seems to have a good time!!

Reminder that Facebook records your browsing habits if you leave the Facebook tab open on your computer. It's practically a form of spyware at this point...

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

Reminder that Facebook records your browsing habits if you leave the Facebook tab open on your computer. It's practically a form of spyware at this point...

this forum does it too, i see things i searched for on this forum as adds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

this forum does it too, i see things i searched for on this forum as adds

I got recommended videos on YouTube yesterday for topics I heard discussed in a podcast. I have no idea how that happened as the topics were very obscure and not at all something I have searched for personally. My only guess is that the Google software on my phone must be listening to not only my phone calls but to any audio coming through the phone. I've never seen that before - very creepy.

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

I got recommended videos on YouTube yesterday for topics I heard discussed in a podcast. I have no idea how that happened as the topics were very obscure and not at all something I have searched for personally. My only guess is that the Google software on my phone must be listening to not only my phone calls but to any audio coming through the phone. I've never seen that before - very creepy.

yea that sucks, i'm glad my company issued phone has pretty good security software installed, never had that happen to me, yet

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

United States citizens who are mostly independent or republican don't respond well to these mega corporations with almost monopoly status censoring, deplatforming, shadow banning, or straight up deleting their voices; this in turn opens the eyes of many of those who are still democrat which results in #walkaway movement that we are seeing. Silicon Valley in their over zealous attempt to push their liberal agendas upon those that use their services is destroying their own creations in the process. What we are seeing today is the destruction of the power house social medias located in Silicon Valley as they attempt to force people to conform to their arbitrary rules that are vague and left to a broad interpretation.

This is basically causing a mass exodus of people from authoritative and tyrannical Silicon Valley giants platforms which is gives way to new websites like Gab-I (Social Media Alternative), Twitch (Live Streaming Alternative), etc, etc. It isn't anyone else fault, it is these mega corporations fault and they are destroying themselves in the process. Recent news Robert Spencer (Creator of Jihad Watch) was forced off Patreon by Mastercard, which I probably think will face the same treatment that the other Silicon Valley giants are getting. This subject isn't about who is getting silenced, it is the fact there is silencing happening in the first place. Suppression of Free Speech against conservatives, republicans, and independents is becoming widespread which is having a negative effect on these media giants. It is a freedom of speech and free exchange of ideas issue (Not an First Amendment Issue) that strikes at the very core of our nation's way of life and many people are shocked. 

I warned against this many times on these forums, even posted about it only to be mocked and laughed at by many of you didn't think it would happen. Many people affected by this are starting to ask if it is time for us to establish a "Internet Bill of Rights" to give us some sense of protection against these corporations who have almost monopoly powers on our ability to communication that spans across the globe. They have unfettered power over our daily lives since we are so connected to the internet. There is a growing consensus of voices to get this internet bill of rights put out. Some can say they have more power than any of the governments in the world combine because they can influence people across the globe by controlling their narrative that they see or hear.

I always told people to keep a eye on Alex Jones, Infowars was the Canary in the Coal Mine, yet it is troubling those on the left are celebrating the death of this Canary. Alex Jones being deplatformed from almost all forms of social media within 24 hours of each other, a large corporation between these near monopoly Silicon Valley giants with notable exception of Twitter. Good on twitter, but it doesn't erase all the silencing that they done to many conservative and independent speakers. Lets face the facts here, It is happening now and it is only getting worse as more time passes, one day it is your enemies and the next day it could be you. If you really valued Freedom of Speech and the Free Exchange of Ideas, you would be against this type of censorship, even if it is people that you personally don't like. I don't feel pity for these companies, this is their own destruction of their own making.

Like the old saying that classical liberals used to say, "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death."

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Thanks 1