Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poll shows Anti-U.S. sentmients at all-time high..

Richdog

LONDON (Reuters) - A majority of people surveyed in a global poll think the re-election of George W. Bush as U.S. president has made the world more dangerous and many view Americans negatively as well, says the BBC.

The survey by the broadcaster published on Wednesday showed that only three countries -- India, the Philippines and Poland -- out of 21 polled thought the world was safer following Bush's election win in November.

Bush will be inaugurated for his second term on Thursday.

On average across all countries, 58 percent of the 22,000 surveyed said they believed Bush's re-election made the world more dangerous.

"This is quite a grim picture for the U.S.," said Steven Kull, director of the Program on International Policy Attitudes at America's University of Maryland.

The survey found that 56 percent of Americans thought Bush's win was good for the world with 39 percent disagreeing.

Traditional U.S. allies in western Europe, such as Britain (64 percent), France (75 percent), and Germany (77 percent), were among the most negative about Bush's re-election.

A majority in Italy (54 percent) and Australia (61 percent), which both have troops in Iraq, also thought his win had made the world more dangerous.

Anti-Bush sentiment was strongest in Turkey, with 82 percent thinking his win was bad for peace compared to just 6 percent in support. A large majority in Latin American countries, including 58 percent in close neighbour Mexico, were also negative.

Analysts said the poll had far-reaching implications, suggesting a serious rise in anti-U.S. feeling in general, with 42 percent saying it had made them feel worse about Americans compared to 25 percent who made it think more of them.

IRAQ OPPOSITION

There was also overwhelming opposition to sending troops to Iraq, even among close allies such as Britain.

"Fully one in four British citizens say the Bush re-election has made them more opposed to sending troops to Iraq, resulting in a total of 63 per cent now opposed," said Doug Miller, president of GlobeScan which carried out the poll.

"Our research makes very clear that the re-election of President Bush has further isolated America from the world."

The survey found that 47 percent of those questioned now see U.S. influence in the world as largely negative.

"Those saying the U.S. itself is having a clearly negative influence in the world still do not constitute a definitive world-wide majority, suggesting there may be some underlying openness to repairing relations with the U.S.," he said.

The survey was conducted between November 15, 2004 and January 5, 2005.  http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050119/325/faliz.html

Sad that the U.S. administration is having such a bad reflection on the nation as a whole. I just didn't realise it was this widespread... sad.gif

To all you U.S. citizens... does this not majorly bother you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• warden

• Babs

• Richdog

• stillcrazy

doesnt bother me cuz 80% of people surveyed dont tell the truth to poll takers. besides we american, were arrogant,pushy ect ect. so why would we care.LOL J/k. naa i dont care were all not like what the rest of the world portrase us.

455932[/snapback]

It doesn't bother me. It's something that is to be expected. American interests are largely different than the majority of the worlds interests.

Former President Clinton, for example, was admired through much of the world, because he cared so much about world opinion at the expense of U.S. interests. Bush's only consideration is U.S. interests, at the expense of world opinion.

The world opinion isn't against the U.S. citizens, but against the U.S. administration-especially Bush personally. Administrations come and go, so this is just the natural order of things with regards to this type of U.S. administration.

Bush's only consideration is U.S. interests, at the expense of world opinion

I think this should be reworded to

Bush's only consideration is his own self interests, at the expense of world and U.S. interests.

I think the U.S. should pull the plug on all the money and aid that it gives to these countries that hate us.

And another thing: if you hate the U.S. so much, then stop moving here!

It seems to me the world hates the U.S., but will glady accept its money/donations, and will gladly move here to enjoy our freedoms.

You can't have it both ways. Either stay where you are and don't accept any money from the U.S. or SHUT THE HELL UP.

Everyone hates us but they sure want our financial aid. I think we should cut every bit of it off and see how all the countries like that. mad.gif

I think the U.S. should pull the plug on all the money and aid that it gives to these countries that hate us. 

It seems to me the world hates the U.S., but will glady accept its money/donations, and will gladly move here to enjoy our freedoms. 

You can't have it both ways.  Either stay where you are and don't accept any money from the U.S.  or SHUT THE HELL UP.

456138[/snapback]

Yes, it's just sad that the poor countries who desperately need help and money do not have a choice in who their benefactors are. They would take the money from a murdering cruel dictator (theoretically, i'm not saying Bush is one) if it saved their childrens lives, have some freakin sense. I am personally not Anti-american, only Anti-Bush, but people like you are what makes others dislike Americans. You rely on other countries as much as they rely on you, and if the USA was suddenly cut out from the rest of the world and had to rely on it's own resources it would be royally screwed. rolleyes.gif

For one thing I enjoy allot more freedoms in Canada. Canada is not on U.S.'s donation list. True we do mooch when it comes to defence innocent.gif though.

Also for a note, I don't hate U.S.A.. I hate your government. Your government is being controlled by a bunch of people who care only about how much money they can swipe from your nation before they need to jump ship. I must admit I do have a small grudge on your nation for not seeing this but I do like the american people as a whole. I'm sorry if I am ranting but I really hate corrupt governments (REALLY hates North Koreans government).

Sorry rich dog, but I disagree. I don't believe we should help countries that hate us. I don't care how poor they are. I am not craz about Bush, but I am very proud to be American. We have to agree to disagree. I can see you point view, but mine differ. thumbsup.gif

Yes, it's just sad that the poor countries who desperately need help and money do not have a choice in who their benefactors are. They would take the money from a murdering cruel dictator (theoretically, i'm not saying Bush is one) if it saved their childrens lives, have some freakin sense.

You're proving my point for me. They have no problem accepting aid, but they still hate the people who give it to them.

How many countries donated billions of dollars to the U.S. after 9/11?

How many billions does the U.S. donate to Tsunami relief and starving Africans?

It amazes me how ungrateful people are.

I say pull the plug.

Sorry rich dog, but I disagree. I don't believe we should help countries that hate us. I don't care how poor they are. I am not craz about Bush, but I am very proud to be American. We have to agree to disagree. I can see you point view, but mine differ. thumbsup.gif

456167[/snapback]

Fair enough mate, but every country has a duty to help ease the suffering of the third world, whether they are liked or not. Why? Because I believe the future of the human race lies in solving all of the problems here on Earth before we can start truly progressing.

Do you think young offenders workers and people in the care/proson industry would stop helping people just because the ones they were trying to help hated them? No, it is far too important to let something as petty as that get in the way. These peoples children and their childrens children should not have to suffer and live in poverty for disliking your government, should not have to suffer while millions and billions are squandered by the rich western countries.

Don't blame others for the way your government acts, they are not to be blamed for disliking your governments actions, they don't control them, they just see the result.. Hell, even most of the UK doesn't like it either, are you going to tell us to screw ourselves too? sad.gif

And AndyR, I proved no point for you mate, trust me. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Richdog

You actually made me think there. Very good writing richdog. I can understand how it could be our responsiblity, but I don't have to like it. I have to say that was one of the only posts on this board that has ever changed my mind(now it only changed a little bit lol.) original.gif

You actually made me think there. Very good writing richdog. I can understand how it could be our responsiblity, but I don't have to like it. I have to say that was one of the only posts on this board that has ever changed my mind(now it only changed a little bit lol.)  original.gif

456283[/snapback]

lol cheers mate, I just write things as I see them, and don't mean to sound like i'm preaching, or having a go at anyone. I just try to cut through the bull and sometimes it works, other times it fails, lol. original.gif

You can't have it both ways.  Either stay where you are and don't accept any money from the U.S.  or SHUT THE HELL UP.

456138[/snapback]

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Couldn't have put it any better!

One thing to note, the poll was carried out by the BBC. Of course you can read into that how you will. I would have liked to have seen exactly what the questions were though.

455932[/snapback]

Well, it bothers me. I hate that we're perceived this way. Some of what America is doing is a good thing, but we are seriously screwing up in other ways. I hate that my country (which I love) is portraying itself so uncaring, brutal and ...well..thick-headed. Sad that such a few in power can affect the entire planet. sad.gif

^ What she said... thumbsup.gif

That is the basic opinion that I have, as do many of the people that I know. Unfortunately the folks that make decisions lately don't seem to be of the same mindset...

On a slightly related note; I remember reading on CNN that approximately 40% of the worlds financial aid comes from the US. does anyone recall this or know a link to the fact of how much the US donates to other countries?

Official Development Assistance (ODA) from 2000 to 2003 heading to change sort order

ODA in U.S. Dollars (Millions) ODA as GNP Percentage

Country  ....              2000/    2001/      2002/    2003

1.  United States....    9,581 /  10,884/  12,900/    15,791 

2.  Japan....            13,062/    9,678/    9,220/    8,911 

3.  France....              4,221/    4,293/    5,182/    7,337 

4.  Germany....          5,034/    4,879/    5,359/    6,694 

5.  United Kingdom... 4,458/    4,659/    4,749/    6,166 

6.  Netherlands....      3,075/    3,155/    3,377/    4,059 

7.  Italy....                1,368/      1,493/    2,313/    2,393 

8.  Canada....            1,722/    1,572/    2,013/    2,209

9.  Sweden....            1,813/    1,576/      1,754/    2,100 

10.  Norway....          1,264/    1,346/      1,746/    2,043 

11.  Spain....              1,321/    1,748/      1,608/    2,030 

12.  Belgium....            812/      866/        1,061/    1,887 

13.  Denmark....        1,664/    1,599/      1,632/    1,747 

14.  Switzerland.....      888/        908/          933/    1,297 

15.  Australia.....          995/        852/        962/    1,237 

16.  Finland.....            371/        389/        466/      556 

17.  Ireland....              239/      285/          397/      510 

18.  Austria .....            461/      457/        475/        503 

19.  Greece....              216/        194/        295/        356 

20.  Portugal.....            261/        267/        282/        298 

21.  Luxembourg.....      116/        142/        143/        189 

22.  New Zealand....      116/        111/      124/        169 

Source: OECD Web site

Sorry for the formatting, but it was a quick cut and paste jobber.

A few in power huh.gif .. where do you all get this?

(I just heard on Fox news the other day that they call liberals, democrats in this country_ pinheads. ) tongue.gifgrin2.gif

One thing to note, the poll was carried out by the BBC. Of course you can read into that how you will. I would have liked to have seen exactly what the questions were though.

456873[/snapback]

Good point. Not exactly an unbiased network with regards to it's views of the U.S.

Thank god for AMERICA, i can say that because of AMERICA.

Two wars come to mind or have people forgot

People find it easy to judge america without looking deeper into the back ground of the country that has made it the envy of the world.

And this from a SCOTS MAN.

thumbsup.gif

People find it easy to judge america without looking deeper into the back ground of the country that has made it the envy of the world.

thumbsup.gif

457416[/snapback]

Warden, that statement is very much appreciated thumbsup.gif

There is without a doubt that America's involvement in both world wars have made this world a better place, and I don't think anyone denies that.

However, people argue that times change, and America's past greatness doesn't make it immune to criticism of our leaders and the decisions they have made

I dont hate Americans, i hate there Government. Sure the US Helped out alot in WW2, but before that did vary little.

I have many friends who are American, even Family members BUT America really needs to get its head out of its ass. They say there making the world a better place, but middle eastern Terrorists and Militant groups have more support now then ever.

Also, if the World called in its Money, that it has loaned to the US, well the US wouldnt be able to afford all thoughs fancy little gagets for a few years.

~Thanato

Edited by Thanato

thumbsup.gif

457416[/snapback]

Warden, that statement is very much appreciated thumbsup.gif

There is without a doubt that America's involvement in both world wars have made this world a better place, and I don't think anyone denies that.

However, people argue that times change, and America's past greatness doesn't make it immune to criticism of our leaders and the decisions they have made

Times have changed ,you will always have some one in power who you like or dislike that is the way it is.

Criticism ? i have heard a lot lately getting directed at america,most european countries presidents are spineless money grabbing ****ers.

They are trying to steam roll the UK into there way of thinking ...no way

Sit back and do nothing when a serious matter arises...thats there way and always has been there way.

I would move to the states with my family the day i become european angry.gif

457422[/snapback]

In total agreement warden. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Our country has a president that is a very 'important' president. I think he will be one of our 'greats'.

And how about that Condi Rice?...wish she was up for the presidency next time...