Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are the best books to gain wisdom from

LostSouls7

I am looking for a list of books full of magical and spiritual wisdom. Please post your fav books here and why

you like them. I want to gain all the wisdom I can. Blessings

Edited by LostSouls7
  • Like 1

The real magic happens when you stop reading! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Kybalion woke me up. Message me if you want a truckload of my occult library dumped on your lawn

• Like 3

I have a crazy answer.

write your life story so far, paper or a saved document, put it away, then pick it up a few months later, maybe six months to a year. Pretend you've died and come back, or you're a twin of yourself or something, just so long as it's third person, and mark each part with some sort of note, or highlight, when you cringe or feel pain or concern, or wish you'd have done it differently. Then read back over the bits that hurt and write how you would fix it, what went wrong, and write who you need to talk to to iron it out. If they've died, and you need closure, don't bother with a counseller (can't spell) (although I'll leave that to you, but here we're trying for the best wisdom, which isn't always others, but yourself, as you felt your pain, they did not), talk to the person who's died and tell them everything you wanted to but didn't get the chance.

The reason I say your own wisdom is the best is, i believe we're all here to learn from our own mistakes. No magic, religion or advice from anyone is going to teach your mortal brain to not be so dumb, scared or gullible next time. You can only fix something by first accepting it, which is a lot quicker to attain to if you admit it to yourself first! Then fix it all.

Told you it was crazy.

btw I believe in magic, the occult and many religions, and I know people who have died, so i'm not being shallow or discriminating :)

• Like 4

The Ultimate UM Forum Guide Book ...

Sergio Aragones' Groo the Wanderer

~

Sergio Aragonés - Wikipedia

Sergio Aragonés Domenech is a Spanish/Mexican cartoonist and writer best known for his contributions to Mad magazine and creating the comic book Groo the ...

~

Sergio Aragonés Groo the Wanderer. Groo: Play of the Gods is out now! Get it digitally! Available in Android Market · Available in the Apple App Store

~

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 4:28 PM, LostSouls7 said:

I am looking for a list of books full of magical and spiritual wisdom. Please post your fav books here and why

Why not start with reading some of the sacred texts of the great religions of the world? Read the 4 Gospels. Read from the Talmud and the Holy Quran. From the East read the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads (Hinduism) and from Buddhism you should read the Dhammapada. 

From there I would study some of the great mystics and sages because that is where these great traditions converge...in the realms of spiritual practice. I'd read Saint John of the Cross, Saint Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhart, Thomas Merton, Gandhi, Sadhguru, Thich Nhath Hanh, HH the Dalai Lama, Chogyam Trungpa....I could go on and on. Everything that I have referenced here has helped me to grow both as a person and spiritually. 

One thing to get you started....read Houston Smith. He was one of the world's foremost scholars of comparative religion (and a hero of mine) and his book The World's Religions will give you an excellent and unbiased look at the great faith traditions and what they teach from one who spent his lifetime studying them.

Blessings to you on the journey.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Mad magazine :D

jmccr8

or even Man magazine.

I second what @Marcus Aurelius posted above, mostly because the vast majority of people, especially Christians, have never read the Bible to know what they are professing, let alone other religions to know what they are disapproving of. In my time I have found that many Pagans and atheists know the religious texts better than the various believers of the assorted faiths. In my own struggle to get out of the fundamentalism I was raised in, I studied the Christian faith and history in depth and discovered a whole different view of it all and even of God out there.

The process of reading, considering and accepting or discarding wisdoms and thinking of the past is a great learning experience and also arms you with facts to know for yourself why in the end you believe as you do and reject what you do. That body of literature outlines the wisdom of the ages and much of the occultic side of the house copies parts of it ironically enough and the insight into the originals is a help there to see through it all.

He also mentioned my favorite, St John of The Cross, who talked me through one of the longest nights I ever suffered when I came that close to punching out of here. I will always love his Dark Night of The Soul, but it is tough reading if you aren't really depressed and don't really love God, however you see that Being, to really see his words in full living color. I love this saint's mind but the sort of insight he had does not come by a fun road for sure and we'd probably have a tough time chatting, you know? :) . If you are that depressed and down and God passionate that every word of it can resonate in you, it still is the roughest read ever. I never cried or prayed like I did that night reading that stuff through. It was both annihilating and also the biggest leap in my growth and ...dare I say it? some wisdom of my own by the time dawn came. I still and always will bear the scars of the anguish of that night on my soul, and it's ok. Compared to that, everything else has been easier to get through.

Good wishes.

• Like 3

Speaking of heroes ...

~

Evelyn Underhill - Wikipedia

Evelyn Underhill (6 December 1875 – 15 June 1941) was an English Anglo-Catholic writer and pacifist known for her numerous works on religion and spiritual ...

~

The Evelyn Underhill Association

evelynunderhill.org/
Evelyn Underhill and the “Mysticism of Ordinary Life”. Deborah Smith Douglas Read Biography. Saturday, June 16, 2018, 9:30-3:30. Nourse Hall, St. Albans ...

~

Rationalism is not the only path to reality ' in fact, according to Evelyn Underhill, it may even be an impediment. Born in England and educated at King's College ...

~

• Like 3

1 Kings 3:16-28

"16 Later, two women who were prostitutes came to the king and stood before him. 17 The one woman said, "Please, my lord, this woman and I live in the same house; and I gave birth while she was in the house. 18 Then on the third day after I gave birth, this woman also gave birth.We were together; there was no one else with us in the house, only the two of us were in the house. 19 Then this woman's son died in the night, because she lay on him. 20 She got up in the middle of the night and took my son from beside me while your servant slept. She laid him at her breast, and laid her dead son at my breast. 21 When I rose in the morning to nurse my son, I saw that he was dead; but when I looked at him closely in the morning, clearly it was not the son I had borne." 22 But the other woman said, "No, the living son is mine, and the dead son is yours." The first said, "No, the dead son is yours, and the living son is mine." So they argued before the king.

23 Then the king said, "The one says, 'This is my son that is alive, and your son is dead'; while the other says, 'Not so! Your son is dead, and my son is the living one.'" 24 So the king said, "Bring me a sword," and they brought a sword before the king. 25 The king said, "Divide the living boy in two; then give half to the one, and half to the other." 26 But the woman whose son was alive said to the king — because compassion for her son burned within her — "Please, my lord, give her the living boy; certainly do not kill him!" The other said, "It shall be neither mine nor yours; divide it." 27 Then the king responded: "Give the first woman the living boy; do not kill him. She is his mother." 28 All Israel heard of the judgment that the king had rendered; and they stood in awe of the king, because they perceived that the wisdom of God was in him, to execute justice."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Encyclopedia Britannica. 

• Like 4

I was going to say an encyclopedia of some kind, but Hammerclaw beat me to it. The works of any early philosopher is always good, too.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2018 at 2:48 PM, m1ssKarma said:

I have a crazy answer.

write your life story so far, paper or a saved document, put it away, then pick it up a few months later, maybe six months to a year. Pretend you've died and come back, or you're a twin of yourself or something, just so long as it's third person, and mark each part with some sort of note, or highlight, when you cringe or feel pain or concern, or wish you'd have done it differently. Then read back over the bits that hurt and write how you would fix it, what went wrong, and write who you need to talk to to iron it out. If they've died, and you need closure, don't bother with a counseller (can't spell) (although I'll leave that to you, but here we're trying for the best wisdom, which isn't always others, but yourself, as you felt your pain, they did not), talk to the person who's died and tell them everything you wanted to but didn't get the chance.

The reason I say your own wisdom is the best is, i believe we're all here to learn from our own mistakes. No magic, religion or advice from anyone is going to teach your mortal brain to not be so dumb, scared or gullible next time. You can only fix something by first accepting it, which is a lot quicker to attain to if you admit it to yourself first! Then fix it all.

Told you it was crazy.

btw I believe in magic, the occult and many religions, and I know people who have died, so i'm not being shallow or discriminating :)

I really like this idea.

• Like 1

The transcribed poems and sayings of Kahlil Gibran and Omar Kayyam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/7/2018 at 11:28 PM, ouija ouija said:

The real magic happens when you stop reading! :lol:

Good point! 

Be God in your own life..... 

Even though I am God in my own life, then I still enjoy reading every now and then. :D

My Father read many books every week (but he also had his own bookstore, so I guess it makes sense)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know a good one called The impersonal self.

It isn't a book about magic but a book about the one consciousness, I AM. A book that releases the illusion of separation, the ego. 

The author refuses to take credit for the book and haven't put his name on it. He claims to have been channelling the whole book. 

There is an audio version on YouTube. 

I have read a few books by swami Vivekananda they were extremely short, will be reading commentaries on bhagvat Gita in near future. 

On 7/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, LostSouls7 said:

What do you understand wisdom to be and why do you want to gain as much as you can?   To your mind, what difference, if any, is there between 'magical' and 'spiritual' wisdom?

Please, don't consider this spam since URANTIA is already in the international public domain and entire on the Internet for free.

Thank you.

The Urantia Book: Revealing the Mysteries of God, the Universe, World History, Jesus, and Ourselves

• Like 1

hi, so did you know already this divine revelation URANTIA, Will Due?...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luis Marco said:

hi, so did you know already this divine revelation URANTIA, Will Due?...

I discovered the Urantia Book in 1982. You might say it changed everything for me. It gave me what I needed to make sense of the world. :)

• Like 1