Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pseudohistory in the Public School System

Harte

4 minutes ago, Harte said:

Is this as bad as teaching Creationism?

I think it depends on how its presented. On the surface I like the idea of presenting the various theories of alternate history, along with each and every one of their shortcomings. That would encourage critical thinking and dreaming of possible future discoveries. 

That doesn't seem to be the case here. 

Instead, this curriculum presents historical falsehoods as fact, without any apparent counter-criticism or arguments. And then it encourages the students to not only write letters to text book editors and publishers with appeals to include this pseudoscientific, Afrocentrist perspective in future editions, it requires the polished, professional versions of these letters actually be sent. While there is certainly a danger that they might be taken seriously and the publishers choose to make these updates, this still isn’t the thing that endangers students the most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I think it depends on how its presented. On the surface I like the idea of presenting the various theories of alternate history, along with each and every one of their shortcomings. That would encourage critical thinking and dreaming of possible future discoveries. 

This stuff comes from 2 African American hate groups ( see my post above) and SHOULD NOT be taught...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, seanjo said:

It's not good for sure, but there is lots of Pseudo History taught, like Columbus discovering America, Washington and the Cherry tree etc. etc.

But this trash teaches hate also. 

• Like 3

This is very stupid and teaches kids that critical thinking isn't important.

This is like people championing the aquatic ape hypothesis that have never studied primates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good post Harte. Afrocentrism is revisionist trash and anyone who is an honest professional historian or archaeologist knows it.

In my field of Egyptology in particular, you'd be surprised at just how many pseudo-scholars are peddling the "We Wuz Kangz" nonsense. Especially the self proclaimed variety ubiquitous on the internet.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 3

The disturbing part to me is the fringe encroaching into the official curriculum of a public school district.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Harte said:

The disturbing part to me is the fringe encroaching into the official curriculum of a public school district.

Harte

I knew it was going to go in that direction when the History Channel went there....:mellow:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Piney said:

This stuff comes from 2 African American hate groups ( see my post above) and SHOULD NOT be taught...

Actually you're wrong. This information has many supporting degrees of evidence. I think it's a good change of pace to be given more history that has before been ignored or revised by eurocentric institutions. Frankly, if there's one thing that shouldn't be taught, it's the story of Christopher Columbus. That's the mother load of pseudohistory.

11 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Actually you're wrong. This information has many supporting degrees of evidence. I think it's a good change of pace to be given more history that has before been ignored or revised by eurocentric institutions. Frankly, if there's one thing that shouldn't be taught, it's the story of Christopher Columbus. That's the mother load of pseudohistory.

And what evidence do you have to suggest ancient African migration to the New World? If you mention the Olmec statuary you lose 50 points.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Good post Harte. Afrocentrism is revisionist trash and anyone who is an honest professional historian or archaeologist knows it.

In my field of Egyptology in particular, you'd be surprised at just how many pseudo-scholars are peddling the "We Wuz Kangz" nonsense. Especially the self proclaimed variety ubiquitous on the internet.

Lol... "Egyptology" in of itself is Pseudohistory. These are the same people who tell you that bronze chisels were used to cut solid Granite stone . (The equivalent of butter knives cutting steel. They are middle Eastern and western eurocentric revisionists. The whole "we wuz kangz" is a racist joke to dismiss the overwhelming evidence of black Africans being in ancient Egypt. 

9 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Lol... "Egyptology" in of itself is Pseudohistory. These are the same people who tell you that bronze chisels were used to cut solid Granite stone . (The equivalent of butter knives cutting steel. They are middle Eastern and western eurocentric revisionists. The whole "we wuz kangz" is a racist joke to dismiss the overwhelming evidence of black Africans being in ancient Egypt. 

Spare me your Afrocentric folly. The genetic studies that have been conducted are unambiguous in revealing that the ancient Egyptians were genetically related to peoples from the Levant, Anatolia, and southeastern Europe.

The Egyptians themselves also clearly distinguished themselves from sub-Saharan Africans in their paintings and sculptures. Afrocentrism fails on so many levels.

And you forget that Egyptology has uncovered the remains of the ancient Egyptians themselves. None of them display much if any affinity with sub-Saharan populations.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

The story of Colombus is historical fact.  And his voyage had very major ramifications for the Americas.  Why shouldn't it be taught? 

Should the story of the Spanish conquistadors also be purged from history because it embarrasses some people of white European ancestry?  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

To claim our culture originated in Africa and we did not develop our own technology in-situ  is complete nonsense and racist against Natives. Genetics have proven we came from Siberia and Southeast Asia and there is no supporting evidence. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Spare me your Afrocentric folly. The genetic studies that have been conducted are unambiguous in revealing that the ancient Egyptians were genetically related to peoples from the Levant, Anatolia, and southeastern Europe.

The Egyptians themselves also clearly distinguished themselves from sub-Saharan Africans in their paintings and sculptures. Afrocentrism fails on so many levels.

Lol It's apparently you are not very learnt on the subject matter, that's why you speak so vaguely. Lol what paintings and sculptures are you referring to and what dynasty are they correlated to? Lol It's nothing "Afrocentric" about it , since I'm only going off of things that can be proven. Egypt lasted a span over 3000 years! Alot can happen in that much time. Those genetic studies only test genetic material of mummies from LATER DYNASTIES. It's apparent when you read the "Papyrus of Hunefer" ( I know you never heard of it lol) Hunefer was a scribe from the 19th dynasty , and wrote on the origins of Egyptians, he clearly states they originated from the "mountains of the Moon" which is in modern day Uganda, then traveled northward. So are you going to call Hunefer who lived in Egypt 3000 years ago as an afrocentric too? Lol please

7 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Lol It's apparently you are not very learnt on the subject matter, that's why you speak so vaguely. Lol what paintings and sculptures are you referring to and what dynasty are they correlated to? Lol It's nothing "Afrocentric" about it , since I'm only going off of things that can be proven. Egypt lasted a span over 3000 years! Alot can happen in that much time. Those genetic studies only test genetic material of mummies from LATER DYNASTIES. It's apparent when you read the "Papyrus of Hunefer" ( I know you never heard of it lol) Hunefer was a scribe from the 19th dynasty , and wrote on the origins of Egyptians, he clearly states they originated from the "mountains of the Moon" which is in modern day Uganda, then traveled northward. So are you going to call Hunefer who lived in Egypt 3000 years ago as an afrocentric too? Lol please

Trust me, you do not want me to start posting examples. The statue of Hemiunu, the seated statue of Prince Rahotep and his wife, the seated diorite statue of Khafre discovered in his Pyramid's valley temple, the seated scribe statue dating from the Sixth Dynasty which was originally thought to represent one of Menkaure's sons, the standing copper statue of Pepi I. Ramses II had red hair which he maintained by dyeing with henna later in life. I could continue, but you are the one who is clearly unlearned in the subject.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 5

Just now, Piney said:

To claim our culture originated in Africa and we did not develop our own technology in-situ  is complete nonsense and racist against Natives. Genetics have proven we came from Siberia and Southeast Asia and there is no supporting evidence. 

Okay let me clarify my statement. I never said native American culture originated in Africa , I wouldn't do that since I myself am a descendant of the native kituwah tribe of the southeastern U.S. I am referring to the fact that Africans sailed to the Americas long before Christopher Columbus did. That's why they find that certain Egyptian mummies have cocaine residue in their systems, and the cocaine plant is an indigenous American plant. Theres also evidence that the Mali Empire sailed here as well. And when the Africans came here they came in contact with the natives who were already here .

And the mummies tested in the genetic study date from the 18th Dynasty to the Roman Period. Hardly a brief period of Egyptian history. Unless you consider 1500 years to be "brief."

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Trust me, you do not want me to start posting examples. The statue of Hemiunu, the seated statue of Prince Rahotep and his wife, the seated diorite statue of Khafre discovered in his Pyramid's valley temple, the seated scribe statue dating from the Sixth Dynasty which was originally thought to represent one of Menkaure's sons, the standing copper statue of Pepi I. Ramses II had red hair which he maintained by dyeing with henna later in life. I could continue, but you are the one who is clearly unlearned in the subject.

LOL what about the diorite statue of Khafre with the Horus falcon behind his head makes you think he was a European? Or the statue of Pepi I? I think you are burying yourself in a hole now.

21 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

The Papyrus of Hunefer was a copy of the Book of the Dead. It is an example of Egyptian mortuary mythology you idiot. LOL! It can hardly qualify as evidence of Afrocentric quackery.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

LOL what about the diorite statue of Khafre with the Horus falcon behind his head makes you think he was a European? Or the statue of Pepi I? I think you are burying yourself in a hole now.

The aqualine nose buddy. You certainly can't tell me that an aqualine nose is a characteristically sub-Saharan feature.

And I never said the Egyptians were European. You are beating a straw man. The ancient Egyptians were a Caucasian people of North African descent.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

And the mummies tested in the genetic study date from the 18th Dynasty to the Roman Period. Hardly a brief period of Egyptian history. Unless you consider 1500 years to be "brief."

I never said the word "brief" . I said they never test mummies of the OLD KINGDOM. Why do you think it's reasonable to say you know for certain that Africans were not Egyptians when you don't even have ANY genetic information on the first 17 dynasties?  That's highly illogical.

1 minute ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

I never said the word "brief" . I said they never test mummies of the OLD KINGDOM. Why do you think it's reasonable to say you know for certain that Africans were not Egyptians when you don't even have ANY genetic information on the first 17 dynasties?  That's highly illogical.

We have plenty of statues and sculptures dating from the first six dynasties. Several of which I listed for you above. The Egyptians portrayed people groups and animals very realistically when it came to depicting specific features. None of these statues or sculptures display distinctly sub-Saharan traits.

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked