Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted Island For Sale in Pennsylvania

rashore

Are you looking for the perfect island getaway that’s guaranteed to be peaceful, isolated and secluded because your relatives and friends will be too terrified to visit you? Then hurry over to Easton, Pennsylvania, where the real estate listing agent will take you on a tour — or perhaps just put you in a boat and point you in the right direction – of Getter’s (or Getters) Island, one of the most haunted places in Easton, a city that boasts of a haunted theater (The State Theater), a hunted rock (Hexenkopf Rock) and a haunted business school (Churchman’s Business School Building). Why is Getter’s Island on the list, why is it for sale and why should you consider buying it?

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/07/haunted-island-for-sale-in-pennsylvania/

• Like 6

It's a sand bar island. You can't live there. But it would be a fun private vacation spot. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Actually for $150,000 it isn't bad.  6 acres.   Can't build a house there yet (no sewer lines), but it would be a cool getaway.   I wonder what is left of the amusement park.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Can't build a house there yet (no sewer lines)

Sand bar islands "migrate" and a septic system would pollute the river.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Sand bar islands "migrate" and a septic system would pollute the river.

I was just going by the article that mentioned that it is zoned to have houses built on it if a sewage line was put into place.   I don't think that would ever happen though.   There is no power either. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Sceptic tank....which is also a Cockney rhyming slang for Yank!

I'm not sure the area would allow for a septic tank.   More and more places don't allow them.  

23 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Why?

I won't pretend to be an expert, but when they leak or are flooded, they pollute the groundwater.  Being this is a sand island that floods often, that would be a concern.    I just doubt that it would be approved.   I could be wrong.   I do know that it is getting more and more difficult to get the permits for septic tanks in many areas.  

I looked this one up a bit. Apparently the amusement park was more of a picnic and boating spot with some pony rides. It was around for a year or two in the early 40's, even had a suspension bridge to hook it to the mainland. Then the bridge was lost in a flood and that was that. Since there was a previous bridge, I wonder if there is some sort of easement/footing to the mainland that goes along with this island or not. And if not, why not since there seems to have been one in the 40's.

Sewage might not be horrible if it could be built for light/summer use and of the self-composting or RV/potable kind. Not sure if that would jive with local laws, lol. Potable water would be more of a problem I would think. Power may or may not be so bad depending on if one can go with any sort of solar, wind, or water power.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 3:45 PM, seanjo said:

Why?

Because they leak... Always.

Actually almost all Septik Tanks leak within months of being put in.

Also this is on a sand bar island. It actually moves.

3 hours ago, blackstarraven said:

Because they leak... Always.

Actually almost all Septik Tanks leak within months of being put in.

I don't think that is true.    After many years, I would agree that most leak.   

On 8/10/2018 at 7:57 AM, Myles said:

I don't think that is true.    After many years, I would agree that most leak.   

Not to sound rude (I mean it's text I can't put tone into it)
But what you think does not really matter in this case.

Literally all septic tanks leak.

Most within a few months of being put in.

Now understand when I say Leak I don't mean gushing. I mean ground seeping.

To the extent that the makers of Septic tanks are allowed to sell them as long as they don't leak over a allowed amount in a time frame.

-

The question was why some places don't allow them anymore.

That's why. because Septic tanks always leak.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

Not to sound rude (I mean it's text I can't put tone into it)
But what you think does not really matter in this case.

Literally all septic tanks leak.

Most within a few months of being put in.

Now understand when I say Leak I don't mean gushing. I mean ground seeping.

To the extent that the makers of Septic tanks are allowed to sell them as long as they don't leak over a allowed amount in a time frame.

-

The question was why some places don't allow them anymore.

That's why. because Septic tanks always leak.

I don't know where you are... but in a lot of places septic tanks don't have the tendency to leak, and definitely not within months. I know of septic tanks that have been in use for decades and are perfectly sound. Septic tanks are supposed to seep- into a drain/leach field- it's how they are designed to work. The point of the septic tank is to allow the liquid to escape slowly while the solids to settle into the tank. If they are leaking it's because they are not being maintained properly and allowed to be infiltrated with tree roots (causing water to leak into the tank) or become too full of solid matter (causing backflow/stoppage/burbled lawns). On occasion a septic tank will be installed incorrectly or out of placement and that can cause leakage/breakage problems. On a rarity, the earth can erode around a tank over years and that can cause a tank to crack too.

A bit more common is drain/leach field failure. This can happen anywhere from where the outlet on the septic tank starts through the whole pipe system. If that fails, it can cause burbling in the lawn and/or backflow or not allowing flow from the septic tank. Though more common thank septic tank failures, drain/leach fields typically can last for decades working perfectly well.

There are some areas that have had septic system failures in a bit of a more mass scenario, and typically those areas have problems with too many septic systems being installed too closely with too much haste (think close development communities in semi-rural locations) This can be compounded with those areas also having too high of a water table or water table flow unsuitable for system placement- but the developers installed anyway because they weren't regulated not to do so.

I would hazard a guess that a septic tank system wouldn't be suitable on this particular island because since it's a sand/mobile land, it would be difficult to seat the tank and field properly, the water table inflow would cause problems with how the tank works, and the drain/leach field would be draining fast into the land and right into the river.

A septic holding tank could potentially work. But those can be more prone to leaking more quickly depending on how they are set up and maintenance done to keep it pumped out. And the biggest problem with the island is no way for a pumping truck to access the tank.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2018 at 11:33 AM, rashore said:

My hometown. Used to go fishing there. It's great for putting up a fishing camp or just getting away from it all. Been years since I was to Getter's. A lot of people used to go there but I don't think so much now. I never saw or heard anything but they say if you ask Charlie why he murdered his wife he'll start yelling at you. The State Theater is awesome. They have a lot of off Broadway there now and other live shows. It used to be a movie theater when I was a kid. Every year the local high schools put on musicals and compete for the Freddy Awards.They're handed out in all catagories, like the Tonys. Fred was a manager of the theater when it showed movies and he is the ghost. I probably saw Fred dozens of times when he was alive.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, rashore said:

I looked this one up a bit. Apparently the amusement park was more of a picnic and boating spot with some pony rides. It was around for a year or two in the early 40's, even had a suspension bridge to hook it to the mainland. Then the bridge was lost in a flood and that was that. Since there was a previous bridge, I wonder if there is some sort of easement/footing to the mainland that goes along with this island or not. And if not, why not since there seems to have been one in the 40's.

Sewage might not be horrible if it could be built for light/summer use and of the self-composting or RV/potable kind. Not sure if that would jive with local laws, lol. Potable water would be more of a problem I would think. Power may or may not be so bad depending on if one can go with any sort of solar, wind, or water power.

Nothing goes over to the island. It sits where the Bushkill Creek empties into the Delaware River. If the water is down, you can walk across the little falls. I know Island Park was in the Lehigh. I don't remember one on Getter's but I can ask around.

13 hours ago, flabbins said:

Its probably bigfoot and not haunted at all. He could hide on the huge island for years and not be found.

Now I'm glad I never saw him!

• 2 weeks later...

Well im buying it