Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Judge orders duct tape to gag convicts mouth

Still Waters

A judge ordered a convict appearing in his court to have his mouth gagged with duct tape when he refused to stop interrupting.

Judge John Russo ordered that Franklyn Williams's mouth to be taped over to prevent him from speaking after warning him to be silent at least 12 times over the course of 30 minutes.

Williams, 32, was being sentenced for armed robbery at the time and talked almost continuously during the hearing.

https://news.sky.com/story/judge-orders-noisy-convicts-mouth-to-be-sealed-with-duct-tape-11457077

• Haha 6

The Court must have ran out of staples ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, don't interrupt the judge. Idiot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

well there goes free speech. :D

But seriously, I bet the convict now takes a case against the court or judge or whoever makes duct tape or something

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

well there goes free speech. :D

But seriously, I bet the convict now takes a case against the court or judge or whoever makes duct tape or something

Generally, if a defendant is unruly they will just be removed from the courtroom and watch the trial from a camera feed if the judge can't convince them to act properly.  This means that if anything the judge went out of his way to try and keep the man in the courtroom, so nothing will come from his complaining.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

The Court must have ran out of staples ...

~

That picture will launch a thousand memes.  "the judge, from Cuyahoga County, Ohio, had been determined to maintain decorum in his court."

I've heard the word/expression "lawlessness" many times in my life but I never appreciated how corrosive it could be before now.  When a nation bases its existence on adherence to law and those in power flout that law or openly circumvent or mock it, what is it that's supposed to hold the nation together?  After the second time he interrupted me from the bench, he would have been removed to a video holding cell where the mute button could be used.

• Like 2

Although I sympathize with the judge I don't think that was the proper action to take.

• Like 1

Well, that's an interesting way to deal with the guy. But then, since the judge has been handling this guys 4 cases since 2016 at least, there is probably more to this story than this moment.

• Like 1

The judge is a fool asking him to be quiet 12 times. Tell him once, second time he's out.

And whoever put the duct tape on him is a fool too. That's going to rip the skin off his mouth when they take it off. Someone is definitely getting sued!

Edited by ouija ouija