Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel: civil war over in Syria - Assad won

Only_

Israel claims the Syrian civil war is effectively over — and President Assad is back in control

Israel claimed Syria's long-running civil war had effectively come to an end Thursday and predicted the Golan Heights frontier between the two countries would be much quieter over the coming months.

[...]

"From our perspective, the situation is returning to how it was before the civil war, meaning there is a real address, someone responsible, and central rule," Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman told reporters on Thursday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/syria-war-israel-claims-syrian-civil-war-is-effectively-over.html

Edited by Brother_Spirit

https://www.algemeiner.com/2018/07/30/report-israel-warns-assad-not-to-massacre-civilians-in-southern-syria/

Looks like Lieberman is setting the stage for a new relationship between Israel and Assad where they speak and Assad listens, carefully.  Thankfully, as long as Iran doesn't try to build bases or arms manufacturing facilities, maybe the civilians can try to get on with their lives.

1 hour ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

The battle for the middle east is about to begin

I think it's been going on for a while now, a proxy war between puppets of the US, Israel, Russia and the UAE. We might see some outright conflict between those powers soon though, but I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, and then said:

https://www.algemeiner.com/2018/07/30/report-israel-warns-assad-not-to-massacre-civilians-in-southern-syria/

Looks like Lieberman is setting the stage for a new relationship between Israel and Assad where they speak and Assad listens, carefully.  Thankfully, as long as Iran doesn't try to build bases or arms manufacturing facilities, maybe the civilians can try to get on with their lives.

1 hour ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

The battle for the middle east is aboutnto begin

44 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think it's been going on for a while now, a proxy war between puppets of the US, Israel, Russia and the UAE. We might see some outright conflict between those powers soon though, but I doubt it.

Blimey, you're all a cheerful lot thismorning :D 

All that the article means is that  the remains of the Syrian civil war are so far away from Israel that - to all intents and purposes - it no longer exists ...  as far as Israel is concerned. How you manage to turn that into another war is beyond me :) 

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

All that the article means is that  the remains of the Syrian civil war are so far away from Israel that - to all intents and purposes - it no longer exists ...  as far as Israel is concerned. How you manage to turn that into another war is beyond me :) 

That's because there is now ''a real address, someone responsible, and central rule'' . The Syrian government is back in charge.

Everything the U.S. & co. didn't want.

Edited by Brother_Spirit
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brother_Spirit said:

That's because there is now ''a real address, someone responsible, and central rule'' . The Syrian government is back in charge.

I agree that this was part of his meaning.  The other part was a not so subtle message about where the missiles and bombs would be addressed if Israel were attacked from Syria territory.  Just as Hamas catches hell, literally, when some splinter group launches on Israeli villages.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:29 AM, RoofGardener said:

Blimey, you're all a cheerful lot thismorning :D 

Not so much, actually.  Tens of thousands of refugee Syrians have taken "shelter" near the Israel border with Syria because they think Assad won't risk Israel's ire if his attacks spill over onto Israeli soil.  Netanyahu just warned him that Israel would not stand by and watch the civilians be massacred.  For the Syrian situation to actually be calmed, Iran is going to have to be removed or FAR displaced from the Golan otherwise It's just a matter of time before Israel becomes too much of an embarrassment or nuisance by regularly killing Iranian Shia militiamen and destroying weapons facilities.  Iran isn't leaving because Suleimani has wagered his power on infiltrating Syria and creating another Hizballah type threat composed of Shia militias from the M.E.   I think Israel has fully learned the lesson of Hizballah and its entrenchment in Syria.  They realize that it's going to eventually lead to war and waiting and allowing them to become proficient with the weapons they are building on Syrian soil is just a bridge too far.

6 hours ago, and then said:

I agree that this was part of his meaning.  The other part was a not so subtle message about where the missiles and bombs would be addressed if Israel were attacked from Syria territory.  Just as Hamas catches hell, literally, when some splinter group launches on Israeli villages.

Not so much, actually.  Tens of thousands of refugee Syrians have taken "shelter" near the Israel border with Syria because they think Assad won't risk Israel's ire if his attacks spill over onto Israeli soil.  Netanyahu just warned him that Israel would not stand by and watch the civilians be massacred.  For the Syrian situation to actually be calmed, Iran is going to have to be removed or FAR displaced from the Golan otherwise It's just a matter of time before Israel becomes too much of an embarrassment or nuisance by regularly killing Iranian Shia militiamen and destroying weapons facilities.  Iran isn't leaving because Suleimani has wagered his power on infiltrating Syria and creating another Hizballah type threat composed of Shia militias from the M.E.   I think Israel has fully learned the lesson of Hizballah and its entrenchment in Syria.  They realize that it's going to eventually lead to war and waiting and allowing them to become proficient with the weapons they are building on Syrian soil is just a bridge too far.

... or possibly the Israeli spokesman is just acknowledging that combat is no longer happening along their border with Syria ? 

7 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

... or possibly the Israeli spokesman is just acknowledging that combat is no longer happening along their border with Syria ? 

Taken in conjunction with Netanyahu's warnings of a few days ago, and considering the IAF killed 7 ISIS members yesterday 200 yards from the Golan border, I'd say the odds are against that assessment.

53 minutes ago, and then said:

Taken in conjunction with Netanyahu's warnings of a few days ago, and considering the IAF killed 7 ISIS members yesterday 200 yards from the Golan border, I'd say the odds are against that assessment.

Meh... you're just being deliberately gloomy :D

The sun is shining. The bees are buzzing. Let us all be happy and glad :) 

32 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Meh... you're just being deliberately gloomy :D

The sun is shining. The bees are buzzing. Let us all be happy and glad :) 

I hate to be a "buzz kill".  I think part of the problem is that I've only had about 9 hours of sleep over the last 72.  I HATE insomnia.  I'm thankful I don't struggle with it regularly.

Just now, and then said:

I hate to be a "buzz kill".  I think part of the problem is that I've only had about 9 hours of sleep over the last 72.  I HATE insomnia.  I'm thankful I don't struggle with it regularly.

Try counting sheep jumping over a fence into a lovely sunny meadow with a babbling brook ? :) 

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Try counting sheep jumping over a fence into a lovely sunny meadow with a babbling brook ? :) 

I'll try almost anything at this point.

On 04/08/2018 at 3:37 AM, Brother_Spirit said:

Israel have good relations with Russia and Russia is Assad’s overlord so I guess Israel have the means to lobby for the issues that matter to them. Except the USA has nothing again. 

3 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Except the USA has nothing again. 

Israel has a power relationship with Russia.  If they weren't a formidable military force in the region, Putin would ignore their wishes.  He's riding the tiger just now.  He doesn't have control of the bases in Syria unless the country becomes and remains stable.  Assad doesn't have an army that can do that, even with the help of a Russian air force at their back.  They need Iranian provided ground forces in the form of Shia militias.  So Putin is trying to talk Israel into allowing some Iranian forces to stay and Israel is still holding the line and demanding that they all be removed or else.  We'll see who blinks, soon enough.

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Israel has a power relationship with Russia.  If they weren't a formidable military force in the region, Putin would ignore their wishes.  He's riding the tiger just now.  He doesn't have control of the bases in Syria unless the country becomes and remains stable.  Assad doesn't have an army that can do that, even with the help of a Russian air force at their back.  They need Iranian provided ground forces in the form of Shia militias.  So Putin is trying to talk Israel into allowing some Iranian forces to stay and Israel is still holding the line and demanding that they all be removed or else.  We'll see who blinks, soon enough.

...as a casual observer of Middle East politics I find Israel the more robust and pragmatic in making friends and enemies. I somehow see the Russians pointing out the hard facts that, like you said, without Shia gunmen peace cannot achieved but I don’t think the Israelis would really care that a weak leader rules and divides Syria just that Iranian offensive weapons and tactics don’t threat Israel. Playing hard ball to screw a better deal is one thing but calling Ivan’s bluff is another.

On 05/08/2018 at 4:21 AM, and then said:

I'll try almost anything at this point.

I know how you feel or rather used too. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Iranian offensive weapons and tactics don’t threat Israel.

Hizballah was no threat from Lebanon in the beginning.  Mark my words, they won't make the same mistake against Iran's moves again.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 3:42 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think it's been going on for a while now,...........

pretty much since 1946

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aztek said:

pretty much since 1946

You ain't seen nothin' yet!