Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terrorist bin Laden's mother speaks

Eldorado

“The people at university changed him,” Ghanem says. “He became a different man.” One of the men he met there was Abdullah Azzam, a member of the Muslim Brotherhood who was later exiled from Saudi Arabia and became Osama’s spiritual adviser. “He was a very good child until he met some people who pretty much brainwashed him in his early 20s. You can call it a cult. They got money for their cause. I would always tell him to stay away from them, and he would never admit to me what he was doing, because he loved me so much."

Full scoop: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/03/osama-bin-laden-mother-speaks-out-family-interview

• Like 3

I should have maybe posted this in the psychology forums.

What makes us humans always forgiving of the sins of our favourite sons?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A mother's love is tough to destroy.

• Like 6

On 8/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, Eldorado said:

I should have maybe posted this in the psychology forums.

What makes us humans always forgiving of the sins of our favourite sons?

It's one thing to forgive, another to remain ashamed. It must have been hard on them. Still is it seems, especially with their grandson now also designated a global terrorist. The cycle never seems to end, does it. Thanks for the article, by the way, it was a fascinating read.

• Like 1

Many muslims regard Osama Bin Laden as a warrior to be both praised and emulated. The issue of forgiveness becomes moot. 

• Thanks 1

It's hard for family members to come to terms with horrible things that close relatives have done.

They make up excuses to tell themselves. 

It must be especially difficult for a Mother or Father who probably feels deep down that they bear some responsibility. 

The thing is...maybe they don't. Maybe it's all on him. 

Sure, he met some bad people...obviously.

He didn't have to join up with them. 

• Like 3

SOme of his 'good' and better friends didn't really help much, or too much depending on which side you wanna look at it

~

How Bin Laden Funds His Network - TIME

content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,175972,00.html

Sep 23, 2001 - An international investigation is underway, part of a broader probe to figure out how bin Laden finances his network. Al-Qaeda, bin Laden's ...

~

Bin Laden's gone, but what about al Qaeda's finances? | Fortune

fortune.com/2011/05/02/bin-ladens-gone-but-what-about-al-qaedas-finances/
May 2, 2011 - As the world absorbs the news of Osama bin Laden's death, ... “You can't run a terror network without funding because it takes money to train ...
~

May 2, 2011 - During the 1970s, the U.S. began funding and training Islamic militants to fight our Russian enemies in Afghanistan.

~

• Like 1