Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Lottery app HELP please

acute

Hello fellow UM'ers!

I recently signed up to be able to play the UK Lotto and Euromillions games online, for which you have to be "physically located in the UK or Isle of Man".

Everything was working well for a couple of weeks, but now I am unable to play, because the app can't confirm my location.

Location Services are enabled on my Android phone, and the permission is granted in the app's settings. (Other apps are finding my location without a problem)

If you have any suggestions, I am all ears! (or eyes)

Edited by acute

12 minutes ago, acute said:

If you have any suggestions, I am all ears! (or eyes)

"A lottery is just a tax on the stupid"--Brian the Dog :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

You mean Brian Griffin?

I'm not taking financial advice from a pot-smoking alkie!

• Haha 2

Stand aside! Step back, please. 'Computers, Gaming & the Internet' expert coming through! :w00t:  

Now then, what seems to be the problem? Okay, what's an 'app'? :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Stand aside! Step back, please. 'Computers, Gaming & the Internet' expert coming through! :w00t:  

Now then, what seems to be the problem? Okay, what's an 'app'? :unsure:

An app is a software application.

Software is lines of computer code processed by your smartphone to enable it to perform certain tasks.

Ok..... A smartphone is a mobile/cellphone with an internet browsing feature.

The internet is...

Oh, forget it, I'll walk to the shop and buy a Lotto ticket.

• Haha 4

This is probably because it doesn't believe that the West Midlands exists. It probably believes it's like Middle Earth, or Narnia.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

This is probably because it doesn't believe that the West Midlands exists. It probably believes it's like Middle Earth, or Narnia.

In that case, I will take a walk to Bell End.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, acute said:

In that case, I will take a walk to Bell End.

Bag End :tu:

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Do you have a cover with a magnetic clasp?

*eyebrows shoot up* You sound like someone who knows what he's talking about! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Yes, Appaloosas are beautiful :) 

Crazy as **** too! :tu:

:lol:

• Like 1

Dont use a Lottery app, because:

Couple FUMING after missing out on £35million lotto win due to glitch on Lottery App

A COUPLE were left flabbergasted after having missed out on a £35 million lottery win - because of a GLITCH on the Lottomobile app.

link

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Do you have a cover with a magnetic clasp?

The problem can't be the clasp, because Google Maps found my location from scratch.

19 minutes ago, toast said:

Yes, I saw that article. :tu:  I do want to close my account and delete the app, but I am owed two free plays.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Still, take it out of the cover and retry.

I've tried it, but no joy.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Don't be fooled...I had the same problem, it was the magnet interfering with the gubbins.

Had a similar experience except my gubbins was interfering with the doohicky. Solved it with a magnet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do you have a virus scanner running on your Android device?  They can block correct use of things which they class as suspicious (or require a conformation from you)

I would do a virus scan anyway, you never know - a gremlin may have crept inside and starting masking/moving your location parameters.

Contact the App supplier too (doesn't make such Apps that inviting though)

• Like 1

@acute, maybe your location glitched and ‘jumped’ out of the UK/Isle of Man, causing the app to think you’re outside of the physical location and somehow locking the app?

Have you tried completely deleting and reinstalling the app? Or have you tried it on another device with your login details?

This shouldn’t have to be he solution, but on an Android you could also use a VPN to show you’re somewhere else in the UK/Isle of Man that it’ll accept. Here’s a pretty good and recent article on how to do it: http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-install-incompatible-apps-or-region-restricted-apps-on-android%3famp=true

Edited by Timothy
Typo
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 2:03 AM, toast said:

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/uk/630682/Couple-missing-lotto-jackpot-glitch-APP

From the article it sounds like they just weren’t tech savvy and didn’t actually purchase the ticket at all. Also it was 2 1/2+ years ago, so any major software bugs should have been ironed out. 

The draw closed at 7:30pm, they tried to buy a ticket first after 7:00pm, didn’t have enough funds, tried to top up and then thought they purchased the ticket, didn’t check for confirmation of purchase etc. Unless there’s a better/more detailed article, I think they just f’d up.

• Like 1

I have decided to close my lottery account, and go back to old-skool paper tickets.

Thank you for all the suggestions. :tu:

• Like 1

On 03/08/2018 at 1:48 PM, Piney said:

A bit different in the UK. Our winnings aren't taxed. No gambling winnings are taxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

A bit different in the UK. Our winnings aren't taxed. No gambling winnings are taxed.

And the proceeds actually go to good causes. Not in some Dems pocket like here in New Jersey.

Just drifting a little offtopic, but related.....

There are now some apps offering to 'match' lottery results in other countries.  But before getting tempted, just bear in mind that:

- all profits go to the app owners.  Unlike your local gov't/semi-govt ones, where the profits largely go to general revenue and hopefully improve your country's infrastructure.  In other words you may as well just send your money overseas.

- the best odds for a win generally (well, in Australia at least) are with large charitable organisations, like our surf-life-saving clubs, special needs organisations and the like.

Having said that.. I'm still waiting to win my $2m house and car...  I think it will be any day now.

• Like 1