Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

POLL: Ramses II vs Akhenaten

Nefer-Ankhe

Ramses II vs Akhenaten   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you favour?

For all my ancient Egypt lovers out there, I think a poll was in order! 

Who do you favour out of Ramses II & Akhenaten and why? 

• Like 1

I voted for Ramses mostly because of his massive building projects and records left behind give us a vast window into ancient Egypt.

Akhenaten was interesting and a maverick, but somehow when I look back over the whole I know about Egypt, Ramses just seems to have had the most lasting impact, IMO.

• Like 4

I’m not sure who either of them are.. Just wanted to jump into the thread to remember to see what others have to say. Maybe I’ll learn enough to cast a vote in the future :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Ramses II has his own movie, so I'll go with him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm calling Ramses II to win by 138 Columns and 15 Temples riding on a 7 to 3 bracket

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ramesses II for much the same reasons as Not a Rockstar. Akhenaten pretty much let his country go to hell while he was busy worshipping his one god, Aten. 

cormac

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Ramesses II for much the same reasons as Not a Rockstar. Akhenaten pretty much let his country go to hell while he was busy worshipping his one god, Aten. 

cormac

Wait... is Akhenaten the monotheistic sun god guy?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rashore said:

Wait... is Akhenaten the monotheistic sun god guy?

Yes rashore he was and about as useless, for a pharoah, as a legless man in a butt-kicking contest. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Yes rashore he was and about as useless, for a pharoah, as a legless man in a butt-kicking contest. 

cormac

Oh, ok then. I remember it a bit because of more spiritual/religion threads. This guy is one of the earliest of the monotheistic examples.

Hmmm.. introduction of monotheistic religion into recorded history vs epic? builder of ages. With the butt kicking contests. Besides building, was Ramses II good at butt kicking?

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Oh, ok then. I remember it a bit because of more spiritual/religion threads. This guy is one of the earliest of the monotheistic examples.

Hmmm.. introduction of monotheistic religion into recorded history vs epic? builder of ages. With the butt kicking contests. Besides building, was Ramses II good at butt kicking?

There is both evidence of his conquests as well as his failures which he then spun as conquests to show he was a more hands-on and effective leader of Egypt than Akhenaten, even during his worst campaigns. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must add that mention should also go to the missus who had a lot to do with Ramses Jr's success ...

~

Nefertari - Wikipedia

Nefertari, also known as Nefertari Meritmut, was an Egyptian queen and the first of the Great Royal Wives (or principal wives) of Ramesses the Great.

Dynasty‎: ‎19th of Egypt
Spouse‎: ‎Ramesses II
Religion‎: ‎Ancient Egyptian religion

~

~

More forgotten Queens ...

~

• Like 3

I'm going to go a head and cast my vote for Akhenaten. Quite simply he's far more interesting than Ramses II who returned much to the standardised artforms and expressions of ancient Egypt. 

There's a lot more lure and intrigue cast around the Amarna period in opposed to Ramses II pretty straightforward leadership.  

:D

• Like 2

Well if we go by sheer entertainment value, I gotta go with Akhenaten. He was hilarious in his bat**** insanity and had a real glamour queen for a wife.

• Like 3

Ramses is obviously the man for the gifts he left us but my preference is for the character Akhenaten and the warning he left us.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Ramses is obviously the man for the gifts he left us but my preference is for the character Akhenaten and the warning he left us.

What warning is that if you don't mind me asking? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nefer-Ankhe said:

What warning is that if you don't mind me asking? 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Mind, body and soul.

24 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Mind, body and soul.

Some argue that Akhenaten shifted the main belief to Aten to deter away from Amun to prevent absolute power by the Amun priests, which evidently happened anyway during the 19th dynasty, so idk. 

• Thanks 1

I hope we leave the Mummies alone ....

~