Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rogue planet detected outside our solar system

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Rogue planet detected outside our solar system

20 Light years from Earth...Any and all Doomers remember that before you go spouting off Doomsday predictions.

Edited by Alien Origins
Correct spelling.
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

20 Light years from Earth...Any and all Doomers remember that before you go spouting off Doomsday predictions.

and only 200 million years old so there is no advanced race inhabiting a orbiting moon.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

There must be hundreds of thousands of these rogue planets.

I am sure there are millions we know nothing about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Total complete fantasy question about this I was wondering about and hoped those more knowledgeable could answer.

IF something like this were to (somehow) drift this way and enter in after Mars, if its orbit did not intersect with any other planets, would we even notice changes on Earth? I was thinking about this and reasoned that possibly the adjacent planets might be affected in orbits (that thing is huge) but, it might be far enough away that Earth would not be affected.

Would it, do you think? That almost became a star, it is massive.... maybe it would disrupt more than I am thinking if that IMAGINARY scenario happened. Perhaps a stray planet the size of Mars sliding in there would be more of a non-event and maybe this massive beastie would do a lot of pulling things into new orbits that I am not considering. 

Just was thinking about it and how some have thought there is another planet out there we don't know yet because of affects something has on them and got to wondering what effects this one would have if it did join our solar system. Any surmises what affects something like that would have? 

and yes I totally know this is not going to happen. We can even call it a fictional solar system like ours, if something like that drifted into it for our pretend scenario. I would like to know what that beastie would do as far as effects go if it did come close or join a solar system. It might actually be catastrophic ? Would it affect our own sun in any way if it was out there just past Mars in distance?

• Like 1

@Not A Rockstar In order to form a more precise opinion you would have to know all kinds of information...Any planet that makes its way into our solar system would more than likely be spit out as quick as it came in but not before the damage has been done..Its going to affect the gravational rotation of our planets and could literally tear some apart as it comes through.If it's orbit is highly elliptic then its going to go straight out and back much like the fictional planet Nibiru would have done. Having said all that the planets gravity in our solar system would affect it as well...

There is a lot that goes into this...Jupiters gravity would affect it more so than the others....And like I said before any Doomers get the idea its headed our way no its not...This is going to fall right in line with the Planet 9 predictions...Planet 9 sits way out beyond Neptune and is absolutely no danger to Earth but Planet 9 is hypothetical and their not certain its even out there.

Having said all that there is nothing in the archeological record of our solar system to ever indicate any large planet weather its this one or fake ass Nibiru as ever came through. Take a look at this near the bottom of the page about Nibiru...There agian this depends on the orbit.

http://www.cosmophobia.org/nibiru/index.html

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks @Alien Origins my goal was to have a clearer image in my mind of just how massive this thing is and the energies involved around it, not to foster any loony tunes sort of conspiracies. The concept for me of a near star which failed is not that clear so this helps to grasp the influences around such a beast.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 7:04 AM, Alien Origins said:

:rolleyes: Everyone knows doomers (good gosh there’s a term for them?) never do research. 

6 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

:rolleyes: Everyone knows doomers (good gosh there’s a term for them?) never do research. 

Well I have not checked any of the conspiracy theory sites but I am sure they are claiming some doomsday crap. 

• Haha 1

This sounds a lot like the planet X we hear about. Same size, same orbit pattern etc. And if that's the case, wouldn't the distance, 20 light years, gradually change as it continues on it's orbit?? Someday, it may actually come close enough to disturb our magnetic field?

3 hours ago, TruthandKnowledge said:

This sounds a lot like the planet X we hear about. Same size, same orbit pattern etc.

It's nothing like the planet X we hear about, that is supposedly in orbit around the sun. The entire definition of a rogue planet is that it is not in orbit around any star.

And if that's the case, wouldn't the distance, 20 light years, gradually change as it continues on it's orbit??

No, because it's not in orbit around the sun.

Someday, it may actually come close enough to disturb our magnetic field?

Do you mean gravitational field? Not that it is relevant as it is not in orbit around the sun.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 6:31 AM, TruthandKnowledge said:

This sounds a lot like the planet X we hear about. Same size, same orbit pattern etc. And if that's the case, wouldn't the distance, 20 light years, gradually change as it continues on it's orbit?? Someday, it may actually come close enough to disturb our magnetic field?

Why would a planet 20 light years away disturb our magnetic field more than the closest stars? 

Complete rubbish.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 5:01 PM, TruthandKnowledge said:

Like Wasp said its not rotating around any star...(Example i.e. The Earth rotates around the Sun, the Sun being a star not a planet.) Gravitational force works both ways in this instance...Planets with in our own solar system will also effect it...Thats part of the problem with this Nibiru BS...Any planet that wonders that close to our solar system will literally be shot out like cannon! Now thats not to say its not going to do some damage before it exits though.

Same size, same orbit pattern etc. And if that's the case, wouldn't the distance, 20 light years, gradually change as it continues on it's orbit??

Do the math...20 light years is 117,394,272,000,000 miles....Light travels at 186,000 miles per second...Light can travel 1,467,428,400,000 miles in 3 months time...Light year distance is measured by how far light can travel in a year...

• Like 1