Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi Arabia expels Canadian ambassador

The Caspian Hare

19 hours ago, aztek said:

please, get real,  Canada did not care about any of that when they struck the weapons deal with SA. it is not like SA was any different back then.

btw we already have a thread about it, or that one reserved exclusively for bashing America?

That is a lie. Canada has always criticized SA regarding their HR. Harper did it too and still managed to make an arms deal. What changed is that 45 empowered all the dictators, nazis and facsists and gave them a voice. Adolf must be proud of him.

2 hours ago, odas said:

That is a lie. Canada has always criticized SA regarding their HR.

yea sure, but it did not stop canada from making 15B weapons deal,  like i said get real, 45 has absolutely nothing to do with it, it is all you.

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

...i can't believe that someone is angry at Canada. 

It's Trump's fault :w00t:

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 7:50 AM, Farmer77 said:

Yeah they are.

It may be somewhat hyperbolic but reading this thread it hit me that this may just be the new world order. The US's allies are now folks like Russia, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. While traditional alliances are pushed to the wayside. 

Russia might be friends of Trump & Partners P/L, but I doubt your Congress believes or wants that.  It would go against their principles of spreading and profiteering from weapon sales.

• Like 1

If the Saudi's don't like anyone interfering in their private affairs why doesn't the west block their funding of Mosques preaching Wahhabism and radicalism within a predominantly Christian culture? If the one goes against their religious beliefs and common law construct, the other also goes against our common law and western values.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, Farmer77 said:

Yeah they are.

It may be somewhat hyperbolic but reading this thread it hit me that this may just be the new world order. The US's allies are now folks like Russia, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. While traditional alliances are pushed to the wayside. 

This is a rather ridiculous thing to say. Relations with Russia are without a doubt the worst they've been since before the Cold War ended. Relations with Turkey are not far behind. Turkey's currency just crashed hard due to a series of US sanctions and Erdogan's administration even has hinted at leaving NATO. They're closer to Russia than they are to us (they've always been double-dealing, it's just more obvious now.) Criticism of Saudi Arabia has always been very muted, even after it became clear elements of their government were involved in 9/11, simply because they're so central to US strategy in the Middle East and because of the power of their oil money.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Relations with Russia are without a doubt the worst they've been since before the Cold War ended.

Well that depends on who is dealing with Russia. Our government or the white house. 

28 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Turkey's currency just crashed hard due to a series of US sanctions and Erdogan's administration even has hinted at leaving NATO. They're closer to Russia than they are to us (they've always been double-dealing, it's just more obvious now.)

You're right I grabbed Turkey as an example of a strongman nation,  knowing Trump's unhealthy perpetual admiration for strongmen , without thinking the example through. 

29 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Criticism of Saudi Arabia has always been very muted, even after it became clear elements of their government were involved in 9/11, simply because they're so central to US strategy in the Middle East and because of the power of their oil money.

Yeah and I freaking hate that. 

It is even more offensive coming from a regime which has no problem offending just about anyone else 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry folks. Canada WILL back down. 

After all, Saudi's are both (a) non-White, and (b) Muslims. Canada's MultiCultiberal government can't POSSIBLY stand up to them :) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Don't worry folks. Canada WILL back down. 

After all, Saudi's are both (a) non-White, and (b) Muslims. Canada's MultiCultiberal government can't POSSIBLY stand up to them :) 

Heck no.

Canada speaks out against totalitarian governments all the time.

...and glad for it. We should do more of it than we do, is my only complaint.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Heck no.

...and glad for it. We should do more of it than we do, is my only complaint.

It DOES ? Well... good then ! I look forwards to seeing them holding their ground against the Saudi's. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

What your little Nancy-boy of a PM thinks and says about America and Trump doesn't count.  :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo.... a month on from the original "sanctions" announcement... and what has happened ? 

Are the diplomats still expelled ? Are the Saudi students still being forced to leave Canada ? I can't seem to find any "current" news on any of this on t' internet. Anybody got any idea ? 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 2:20 AM, RoofGardener said:

Sooo.... a month on from the original "sanctions" announcement... and what has happened ? 

Are the diplomats still expelled ? Are the Saudi students still being forced to leave Canada ? I can't seem to find any "current" news on any of this on t' internet. Anybody got any idea ? 

Here's a timeline up to August 24: https://www.businessinsider.com/timeline-of-canada-saudi-arabia-diplomatic-feud-over-human-rights-2018-8

On 9/11/2018 at 2:03 AM, The Caspian Hare said:

Nobody is budging, Canada curtailed (though not eliminated) some AFV sales , last I heard

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-apos-arms-deal-saudi-080000609.html

Good. We shouldn't back down at all. Saudi Arabia is a nonsense country of crippling and frequent human rights violations. It's high time someone took them to task. I'm just kinda surprised that it's us, of all nations. We shouldn't be selling them anything, either, but I seriously doubt the government will turn off a cash flow like that. Sigh. But hey, something is better than nothing, I guess. Maybe now that we're on a righteousness kick, we'll do something about our own indigenous communities without healthcare or potable water...

Edited by Podo