Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Starving children rescued from NM compound

Eldorado

Eleven terrified and starving children have been discovered trapped at a property in rural New Mexico which had been turned into a disturbing homemade compound.

The children, aged one to 15, were rescued by police following an armed stand-off with two men who were later arrested.

The Amalia property was surrounded by tyres, had no running electricity or water and the compound was made up of a small trailer buried in the ground.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/eleven-starving-children-rescued-from-squalid-makeshift-compound/news-story/931b345ac06d5fa3b8338a0fe6d59df2

Three women, believed to be the mothers of the children, were detained and later released.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eleven-children-saved-squalid-new-mexico-compound-leaving-starving-note-police-084324482.html?guccounter=1

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

That's horrible.

I hope the missing boy is found ok. 

• Like 5

Pretty bad living conditions.   I'm not sure if the "Muslim extremists" claims have been verified yet, but I'm sure we will find out soon.

I hope they can locate the missing 4 year old.  

The three mothers of the 11 malnourished children found living in a filthy New Mexico compound were arrested and charged Sunday along with two men described as armed Muslim “extremists” after authorities raided the property in search of a 4-year-old boy.

Jany Leveille, 35; Hujrah Wahhaj, 38, and Subhannah Wahha, 35, were arrested and charged with neglect and child abuse of the children. The three women, who were found at the compound in Amalia, initially refused to answer any questions.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/06/moms-arrested-after-11-children-found-in-filthy-new-mexico-compound-with-armed-muslim-extremists.html

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Five adults charged with abusing 11 children at a New Mexico compound, where they were found ragged and starving, were training those children to use firearms to commit school shootings, prosecutors said in court documents on Wednesday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-new-mexico-crime/five-charged-with-child-abuse-at-new-mexico-compound-due-in-court-idUKKBN1KT14A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's the first I have heard of the 3 year old boy dying.   How sad. 

A judge released them on bail.  You can't make this stuff up...

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, and then said:

A judge released them on bail.  You can't make this stuff up...

Amazing. 

On 8/9/2018 at 2:42 AM, Eldorado said:

UPDATE:

Five adults charged with abusing 11 children at a New Mexico compound, where they were found ragged and starving, were training those children to use firearms to commit school shootings,

...one more time?

were training those children to use firearms to commit school shootings,

"were training those children to use firearms to commit school shootings"

These monsters are the definition of evil. Starving little children and forcing them to learn how to kill other children.

This story f---ed my day up. 

A man who identified himself to reporters as Gerard Jabril Abdulwali, 64, of Alexandria, Egypt, and the father of Morton, attended the court hearing, during which he shouted, “Allahu Akbar,” Arabic for “God is great.”

He told reporters afterward that was in the United States for medical reasons and had not heard from his son since last year until he received a text message from Morton last Thursday that said “they were starving.”

Abdulwali said his son and the other suspects were “peaceful adult settlers.”

“They were homesteading and were trying to establish a peaceful community, a peaceful life away from society,” he said. “They just went about it the wrong way.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So let's use this story to break down the break down in immigration. How were these men vetted before entering the country? Are they here on work Visas? Are they here as part of an amnesty program? Did they marry for Green Cards? 

At some point along the way, the system failed horribly. Now, I want to know why and how that happened.

CNN (lol) - Here's what we know about the 5 suspects

How the family ended up in New Mexico remains a mystery.

Fantastic.

• Like 1

Looks like Judge Sarah Backus just Sarah Backed herself in to a corner with her garbage ruling.

Judge facing death threats after NM ruling

A judge is facing death threats after granting bail to five adults in an abuse case involving nearly a dozen allegedly malnourished and dehydrated children found at a remote compound in New Mexico.
[...]
USA Today reported that Backus "noted that prosecutors in particular failed to present any specific evidence about the children's health or welfare and instead focused on the group's heavy weaponry at the compound."

...specific evidence of the children's welfare? :huh: It seems like Judge Backus already had bail in mind and was working backwards to make that happen. This case reads like a Stephen King story ffs

After her order, social media posts and phone calls containing both criticisms and death threats began to flood Backus and the courthouse. Reuters reported that the Taos County courthouse "went into lockdown after threats of violence against all staff."

The icing on the cake:

The other adults charged have pleaded not guilty.

Now, they may actually believe they aren't guilty. If they really believe they are part of a "holy war" or some other Islamic nonsense, they may see the capture, abuse and training of children as a worthy cause. Who is really behind this operation? Did these freaks receive instructions from a more organized source?

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Three-year-old Abdul-ghani Wahhaj, who had been missing since December, allegedly died amid a ritualistic religious ceremony held on the grounds in an effort to “cast out demonic spirits,” Reuters reported.

The boy's mother, Hakima Ramzi, said he suffers from hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. He cannot walk and suffers from seizures, requiring constant care and medical attention, she said.

Investigators had reason to believe Wahhaj planned an exorcism and was denying Abdul-Ghani his medication, according to the search warrant used in the New Mexico raid.

Who needs Western medicine when Allah is on your side? Apparently Hakima Ramzi did. Poor guy...:unsure2:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

So let's use this story to break down the break down in immigration. How were these men vetted before entering the country? Are they here on work Visas? Are they here as part of an amnesty program? Did they marry for Green Cards? 

At some point along the way, the system failed horribly. Now, I want to know why and how that happened.

Hope they don't separate the children from the parents.  The left would go crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I won't lie.  When I first heard about this, I immediately thought of this video:

Why?  Yeah, the video is funny but wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  What does it have to do with a training camp in the NM desert?

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, and then said:

Why?  Yeah, the video is funny but wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  What does it have to do with a training camp in the NM desert?

Because the funny of it is becoming reality.  Whenever one of the guys asks, "Where's that again?" I keep wanting to shout out New Mexico.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Because the funny of it is becoming reality.  Whenever one of the guys asks, "Where's that again?" I keep wanting to shout out New Mexico.

Okay, I get it now.  You'll have to pardon me, the grey matter ain't what it once was.  What do you think about the judge's decision to grant them bail?  I'm usually all for letting non-violent offenders out but these nuts killed a child through their crazy religious antics.  Had it been a Scientology family or some Baptist snake handlers, would your opinion be the same?  Just curious.  If it's proven that they were training children to shoot up schools, they're going away for a very long time and they know this.  Flight risk?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, and then said:

Okay, I get it now.  You'll have to pardon me, the grey matter ain't what it once was.  What do you think about the judge's decision to grant them bail?  I'm usually all for letting non-violent offenders out but these nuts killed a child through their crazy religious antics.  Had it been a Scientology family or some Baptist snake handlers, would your opinion be the same?  Just curious.  If it's proven that they were training children to shoot up schools, they're going away for a very long time and they know this.  Flight risk?

The only thing they were charged for was 11 counts of felony child abuse.  Perhaps bail will be revoked once they are charged with more serious crimes.  Pretty sure they are going to do time for their botched faith healing.  I doubt they will run, especially the women.  Living in that level of poverty is more common than people think. For them it is probably normal and they didn't do anything wrong.

47 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Well, I live in New Mexico and I can't really argue...  Have you watched "Breaking Bad" or "Better Call Saul"?  That is another fitting stereo-type.  A bit overdone as far as reality goes but ... Our murder rate is certainly meeting expectations.  It's either drug deals gone bad or young abused children (I've lost track).  It's just horrible.  Our society has gotten sick and we need guns to defend ourselves from it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The only thing they were charged for was 11 counts of felony child abuse.  Perhaps bail will be revoked once they are charged with more serious crimes.  Pretty sure they are going to do time for their botched faith healing.  I doubt they will run, especially the women.  Living in that level of poverty is more common than people think. For them it is probably normal and they didn't do anything wrong.

One is being held by the state and one by the Feds and the other three can't meet the requirements for release, so they are all still behind bars.

• Like 1

Seems to me that they got released on bail because the prosecutors arsed up the case, instead of saying “these are quantifiable evil people who treat children like crap” they went “OMG OMG look at all the guns!”, which is perfectly legal in the US. 

Justice is blind because judges rule only on th case presented to thrm and in this case the facts presented to the judge didn’t legally warrant a custodial sentence. The prosecution done right royally ****ed up.

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Seems to me that they got released on bail because the prosecutors arsed up the case, instead of saying “these are quantifiable evil people who treat children like crap” they went “OMG OMG look at all the guns!”, which is perfectly legal in the US. 

Justice is blind because judges rule only on th case presented to thrm and in this case the facts presented to the judge didn’t legally warrant a custodial sentence. The prosecution done right royally ****ed up.

The Judge moved here from San Francisco and is known for issuing low bail to violent offenders.  Guns have nothing to do with it.  Guns are very common in that area.  The couple whose land the compound was on probably has their own arsenal at their compound (aka home).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

The Judge moved here from San Francisco and is known for issuing low bail to violent offenders.  Guns have nothing to do with it.  Guns are very common in that area.  The couple whose land the compound was on probably has their own arsenal at their compound (aka home).

So, justice is less blind and more a moron in this case. Gotcha.

The property owner reported to the police he'd seen the missing boy before he died. They said that wasn't enough evidence for them to investigate. He might still be alive if they had.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So, justice is less blind and more a moron in this case. Gotcha.

Justice is always blind and remember, this is New Mexico (Ignorant Morons).  I’ve been here so long, I just ignore it.  I'm sure you have a similar location in OZ?

• Thanks 1