Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Chicago shooting spree weekend

Eldorado

At least 40 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend during the seven hours from midnight Saturday to early Sunday morning, with four fatalities, city police said on Sunday, a stark violent streak in a city where authorities say gun violence has been decreasing this year.

"These were both random and targeted shootings on our streets," said Fred Waller, Chief of the Patrol Division of the Chicago Police Department, in a press conference.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/united-states-gun-violence-at-least-40-shot-and-four-killed-in-a-night-of-chicago-gun-violence-1895741?ndtv_nextstory

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

I was reading something about a lot of people being at a block party and then someone showing up in a white Impala and just shooting into the crowd. 

• Sad 2

Honestly, every weekend in Chicago is a shooting spree. To be fair so is every day it's just that the shootings tick up higher on Saturdays and Sundays.

"Hey ya got any plans this weekend?"

"Naw nothing special, probably just take the glock I stole out for some target practice at Derrik's birthday party. Wanna come?" 

• Sad 2

I'd really be interested to see a non-biased, comprehensive study of why this insanity is happening there.  I assume it's down to gang activity but if that's the case then I question the government's commitment to the safety of the people.  This has been going on for years.  Rahm Emanuel needs to ask the governor for troops to go in and quell these areas if law enforcement cannot do it.  In 2017, 650 people were shot dead in Chicago.  A large number of them were teens and younger.  That's a WAR.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Meh... population adjustment. 

I can't be dismissive of a situation where so many people, through no fault of their own have to live in fear for their children's lives every day.  The government in that city is a national disgrace.  I'm no expert on gang culture but it seems to me that they own parts of the city and law enforcement is outgunned and outmanned.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, and then said:

Rahm Emanuel needs to ask the governor for troops to go in and quell these areas if law enforcement cannot do it. 

Actually yesterday there were large protests of mostly people of color and democrats calling for Rahm Emmanuel's resignation over all of this and calling for the National Gaurd to be brought in to secure the City! I found it quite amazing and felt very happy to see that these mostly POC and democrats were actually seeing the light and finally standing up for themselves against the Party that they exclusively vote into office year after year and who do nothing for them but use scare tactics to make them fear Republicans just to maintain their power and constantly let down their electorate after they attain Office. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, and then said:

a situation where so many people, through no fault of their own have to live in fear for their children's lives every day

To be fair they do have some fault in this for the people they vote for decade after decade, year after year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

To be fair they do have some fault in this for the people they vote for decade after decade, year after year. 

I know... I'm not sure if that community will ever break with the Democrat Party, though.  If burying their children in so large numbers isn't enough to cause them to rebel, what is?  

• Like 2

Where would we be without our enemies to blame for everything.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Where would we be without our enemies to blame for everything.

I'd be interested in your assessment of who is to blame for their deaths.  With all due respect, EL, the city of Chicago has some of the strictest gun-control laws in this nation.  And I don't consider every person that votes for a Democrat as my "enemy".  My parents never voted Republican a single time.  At what point is it reasonable to hold the government of a city responsible for the chaos?  There are just as many gun owners in other major cities.  Why isn't the mayhem and bloodshed seen in all those places?  I believe this problem is one of lack of will to deal with that criminal element.

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd be interested in your assessment of who is to blame for their deaths.  With all due respect, EL, the city of Chicago has some of the strictest gun-control laws in this nation.  And I don't consider every person that votes for a Democrat as my "enemy".  My parents never voted Republican a single time.  At what point is it reasonable to hold the government of a city responsible for the chaos?  There are just as many gun owners in other major cities.  Why isn't the mayhem and bloodshed seen in all those places?  I believe this problem is one of lack of will to deal with that criminal element.

Whoever killed them is responsible.  Whoever pulled the trigger.  The people of Chicago are responsible.  They are the one's shooting each other.

Trash who don't know how to behave properly.  Chicago needs to take out it's trash.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, after I posted that little diatribe, I realized you probably weren't making the typical gun-control argument.  I guess I'm a little beaten down lately by all the political craziness.  I totally agree with you that the shooters have to be held liable and it needs to be an unbending, harsh kind of message that is sent.  When human beings indiscriminately fire into homes, cars and so on then they have become animals and they need to be permanently removed from society for the sake of the innocent.  That can be a death sentence or life imprisonment, just get them the hell off the streets. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, seanjo said:

There needs to be a cultural change, absent Fathers and gangs are the main problems as far as I can see.

A cultural change is needed.   I'm not sure how we get there.  

• Like 2

A couple of predictions for this thread...

None of the usual "hysterics" will be thrown around

It won't make it to 50 pages in 3 days

Most will outright ignore it,and if it does start picking up it will be shutdown!

That said,i for one was very happy to see the community come together and march against violence happening in their own neighborhoods and start demanding change!...I was astounded at the outcries against Rahm "barry's boy" Emmanuel for making Chicago a "sanctuary city" for some,while others were left in a lawless state!

Looks like some are willing to try and make Chicago "great again" by working with Trump! :w00t:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

A cultural change is needed.   I'm not sure how we get there.  

You march in with the NG and the coppers and block by block check every single person, any assumed gang involvement, off to trial to prove innocence. If guilty,off to a randomly selected prison somewhere in America with the felony charge of returning to Chicago hanging over their heads.

if fired upon, lethal force is authorised. 

THEN you do the same for the police. Any hint of corruption, off to gaol somewhere in America.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I could control Chicago, I would offer travel tickets.

One way bus/train fare for each unemployed person.  With over half a million unemployed people in Chicago, you have to think nearly 100,000 would take advantage of it.   Out of those, maybe 10,000 stay gone.   Just spitballing here.  

I don't see much wrong with doing these types of things.   I know Atlanta caught heck from the NAACP when they tried a similar thing before the Olympics.    

For some, it allows them to get back near family that can help with their situation.  

Homeless individuals can get to a warmer climate.  

Idiots may think they are pulling one over on the city, but if they don't come back, it is the city that wins. 

Thread has been up 11 hours now and we only have less than 25 replies...

Yep we have a gun problem in this country,but most prefer not to talk about where many of these shootings and killings on our national charts actually come from!

THAT is truly the saddest statistic! 

Again i'm proud of those who marched this past weekend in Chicago against gun violence...

• Like 3

At least two of us knew how it would be. By the way, the number of dead has risen to 12, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What we need here is a music video clip intermission .. a little bit more of Dino just for Chicago

~

[00.04:57]

~

• Like 1

Harte

• Like 1

13 hours ago, and then said:

I know... I'm not sure if that community will ever break with the Democrat Party, though.  If burying their children in so large numbers isn't enough to cause them to rebel, what is?  

Seems like many people in this community feel unwelcome and unrepresented by the Republicans, just as so many middle class people felt totally unrepresented by the Democratic Party.  As anthen pointed out, we are all concerned about our children.  A party that could unify us around that would win elections.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eldorado said:

At least 40 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend during the seven hours from midnight Saturday to early Sunday morning, with four fatalities, city police said on Sunday, a stark violent streak in a city where authorities say gun violence has been decreasing this year.

"These were both random and targeted shootings on our streets," said Fred Waller, Chief of the Patrol Division of the Chicago Police Department, in a press conference.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/united-states-gun-violence-at-least-40-shot-and-four-killed-in-a-night-of-chicago-gun-violence-1895741?ndtv_nextstory

It's horrifying to say this... but this isn't exactly unusual for Chicago. I'm rather familiar and have lived in Chicago and surrounds for quite a bit of my life. Particularly during the warmer weather months- Chicago sees serious cold gacky weather that slows stuff down when it's not construction season. But there's often a weekend or few of particularly high shooting rates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if a wall might work?  Who would pay ..... is the question?