Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California's Mendocino Fire- Now Largest Ever

Raptor Witness

California's Mendocino Complex wildfire becomes largest in state history - CBS News - 8-6-2018 at 11 PM

Officials said late Monday that two fires spreading in Northern California have merged to become the state's largest wildfire in history. The fires that had been burning only a few miles apart -- known as the Mendocino Complex Fire that ignited July 27 -- encompasses an area the size of Los Angeles. It's the second straight year that California has seen a wildfire grow to record-breaking size. ...

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Sad 4

Here is southern Oregon, we are getting tired of Northern California's inability to deal with their fires.

Its as if Jerry Brown is trying to smoke us out or something...

No joke, the last 3 or 4 years have been Hell, they need a new game-plan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So destructive.  I hope they are able to get this under control.   

Whiskey Lake is burning!

Any sign of bigfoot?

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

California wildfire will burn for the rest of August, say officials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45102524

:(

Easily, where there isn't enough water you fight fire with dirt and a shovel.

I fought wild fires for nine seasons. With that terrain and lack of water to actually fight it, the only thing that will declare it 'out', is mother nature.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

Sad, my ex husband lost a step son in the California fire and now he`s being evacuated from his house there  :(

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Sad, my ex husband lost a step son in the California fire and now he`s being evacuated from his house there  :(

I am very sorry to hear that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Here is southern Oregon, we are getting tired of Northern California's inability to deal with their fires.

Its as if Jerry Brown is trying to smoke us out or something...

No joke, the last 3 or 4 years have been Hell, they need a new game-plan. 

California's second largest wildfire in recorded history, was only last year.

Governor Brown reportedly said today that the worst is yet to come, speaking about the fire season, but does he really understand what desolation is?

The crude dominance of men over their environment is now replaced by a perfect dominance, something heard of, yet still unbelieved.

As for the personal protection of firefighters and homeowners, I still recommend that they display a dragonfly or keep some artistic version of one, on their person. This is not an amulet. Born of water, they also dominate the air.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Thoughts and prayers for everyone involved so tragic 

• Like 1

They for some reason, don't do control burns. They don't do small patches of land and brush, burning them while having the fire engines on stand by. This is what happens when you let the debris from the dead trees and plants to accumulate. We do control burns in Oklahoma all the time, it keeps damage down from wildfires and makes them easier managed. Now they might see a whole forest wiped out and untold number dead with large property damage because they neglected their duty. The government in California needs to be held accountable for neglecting their duties to the people there.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

They for some reason, don't do control burns. They don't do small patches of land and brush, burning them while having the fire engines on stand by. This is what happens when you let the debris from the dead trees and plants to accumulate. We do control burns in Oklahoma all the time, it keeps damage down from wildfires and makes them easier managed. Now they might see a whole forest wiped out and untold number dead with large property damage because they neglected their duty. The government in California needs to be held accountable for neglecting their duties to the people there.

Oklahoma isn't one giant forest.  A controlled burn in California is one gentle breeze away from a raging forest fire like the one we are talking about in this thread.

It also doesn't help when you have arsonists like this conspiracy theorist- https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/forrest-gordon-accused-arson-california-fire-conspiracy-theorist-710023/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

You suggest not allowing "dead trees and plants" to accumulate in those forests?

having been there and seen the immensity of the forested areas, I 'm afraid that would be impossible?

i've seen some of the controlled burns in Oklahoma that you speak of...much simpler in grass than forest?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lightly said:

You suggest not allowing "dead trees and plants" to accumulate in those forests?

having been there and seen the immensity of the forested areas, I 'm afraid that would be impossible?

i've seen some of the controlled burns in Oklahoma that you speak of...much simpler in grass than forest?

No. Most of the control burns happen in the wheat fields and dead grass areas that are less visited. You don't realize how fast dead grass and limbs accumulate over the years that can ignite rather easy. Even a single ember can turn thousands of acres of land into large fires.

Edited by Uncle Sam

Let the Loggers go back to work. These monster blazes were not a part of the routine yearly cycle five years ago. They were an ABNORMAL events. (note that I am not editing this post, so when somebody brings up a couple of big fires from the past, check my emphasis on those words)

Something has gone very wrong, and this is not a "new normal" that can possibly be sustained. 

Logging companies had a vested interest in controlling fires, and did so far more effectively than all Govt entities are doing today, combined. They can also create fire-breaks with their cutting patterns, a better fix than the "let it burn" gang ever came up with. 

Since Canada is now exporting the timber needed into the US, it isn't like the continent as a whole would be denuded of trees, either. That part of the equation will remain unaffected. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Let the Loggers go back to work. These monster blazes were not a part of the routine yearly cycle five years ago. They were an ABNORMAL events. (note that I am not editing this post, so when somebody brings up a couple of big fires from the past, check my emphasis on those words)

Something has gone very wrong, and this is not a "new normal" that can possibly be sustained. 

Logging companies had a vested interest in controlling fires, and did so far more effectively than all Govt entities are doing today, combined. They can also create fire-breaks with their cutting patterns, a better fix than the "let it burn" gang ever came up with. 

Since Canada is now exporting the timber needed into the US, it isn't like the continent as a whole would be denuded of trees, either. That part of the equation will remain unaffected. 

You do have a point.  If we cut down all the trees, we won't have to worry about forest fires.

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

You do have a point.  If we cut down all the trees, we won't have to worry about forest fires.

Right, ALL the trees, that makes perfect sense, just what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

NOT. 

47 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Right, ALL the trees, that makes perfect sense, just what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

NOT.

Did you expect a different response after you dared to use common sense and logic?

• Like 2

Well, the both of you are operating under the supposition that common sense and logic currently aren't being used in the fire prevention of California's forests.

Mendocino had triple digit temperatures, moderate winds, and is in an area recovering from drought.  Even an armchair firefighter can tell what is going to happen there.  Most of California is currently like this.  The whole state is prime to be a big bonfire. 

I do realize that the forest fires have been politicized by both Trump and the lumber industry.  But let's face it, it is for financial reasons more than any care about fire prevention.  Loggers don't want dead wood and scrub, they want the healthy green wood.  The very wood that tends to survive the forest fires.

• Thanks 1

As I recall, there are plants, including some trees in California, whose seeds require fire to germinate. - Quite a number, actually .... http://www.calfire.ca.gov/communications/downloads/fact_sheets/live_w_fire.pdf

This kind of requirement suggests a long term relationship to fire, which may give clues to how to manage these megafires in the future.

My guess is, wherever these plants are located, people should not live there. 

• Like 1

It's been like nuclear winter out here in Southern Alberta. Fires to the West of us (BC,) fires to the South, here I am: stuck in the middle with smoke :mellow:

Good luck to the men and women fighting the fires. You are not appreciated enough for your efforts!

• Like 3

I was debating doing a road trip next week, either up through California and into Oregon or over to Colorado ….and then I saw this map. 

USFS map of current fires .

• Thanks 1

Sweet! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Nice map ~~( 8-0) THANKS!!!!!!!!!! :o)     :  0

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Mendocino Complex Fire is now 547 square miles - USA Today 8-14-2018

If you include this fire, which began on 7-27-2018 and now by far the largest fire in California history, with the very unusual Hurricane of Fire that appeared west of Redding between 7 and 8 PM on 7-26-2018, and at roughly the same time, one does have to wonder, does the Earth have ears, and more importantly, a voice?  

On 7/26/2018 at 3:31 AM, Raptor Witness said:

.....“Death to America” is at the door, because we are living by the sword. 

......... They are already dead, they are walking, talking, tombstones, who will live to see America destroyed by the sword that guards the Tree of Life. It has already begun, and it shall sweep fire from sea to darkened sea, until only the lie remains.

From "sea to darkened sea," is obviously taken from the song, "America the Beautiful," as an anti-anthem, and is an underline to the concept of Manifest Destiny, previously discussed:  From sea to shining sea speaks of the movement of Americans from the Atlantic to the Pacific, specifically, California.

Given this, I don't think that the fires in California will be easing anytime soon, at least not until an exodus from California occurs.  We are entering a new phase of history, where the Earth's voice is arguably, unmistakable.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Actually, heavily logged areas and the left over drying debris on the ground burn much easier than shady forest.  

The extended droughts are one of the main causes of the severity of these fires....not only in California, but MANY other areas in the southwest.  Colorado is having a terrible time too.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I was debating doing a road trip next week, either up through California and into Oregon or over to Colorado ….and then I saw this map. 

USFS map of current fires .

Geez.

And the East Coast is flooded. 

I keep saying it's the end of the world.

• Like 1