Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ok, Google... TURN YOURSELF OFF!

acute

Not a fan of these always-online voice assistants - some of them even have a camera now.

It's like knowingly setting up a spy camera/microphone in your own home.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Saru said:

Not a fan of these always-online voice assistants - some of them even have a camera now.

It's like knowingly setting up a spy camera/microphone in your own home.

I won a Google mini, I gave it away.  No way that thing was coming into my house

On 8/10/2018 at 12:54 AM, Golden Duck said:

On the Big Brother thing. Google always seems to know what you're gong to search. I only have to type a couple of letters and what I'm looking for is course to the top. 

Few nights ago I watched John Wick 2. Not the most relevant movie today, not a search in my phone or a mention by voice. Home alone, I picked it off my dvr recorded months ago. After the movie I wanted to know how many people he killed. I made it as far as typing in “how many people did” and the top suggestion to follow was ... “John Wick kill in John Wick 2”.

There has to be far more relevant searches for “how many people did” than that! Crazy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

After the movie I wanted to know how many people he killed. I made it as far as typing in “how many people did” and the top suggestion to follow was ... “John Wick kill in John Wick 2”.

There has to be far more relevant searches for “how many people did” than that! Crazy.

Just because im the curious type I did that search on bing and google. Bing didnt even offer John wick kill as an option, it was just the sixth suggestion  on Google. 

**** is creepy 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Just because im the curious type I did that search on bing and google. Bing didnt even offer John wick kill as an option, it was just the sixth suggestion  on Google. 

**** is creepy 

That’s insane man. Thanks for doing that. I meant to ask someone to. I’m afraid to know what your suggestion was lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

That’s insane man. Thanks for doing that. I meant to ask someone to. I’m afraid to know what your suggestion was lol.

I'm in Australia...My results:

Ivan Milat kill

Black Death kill

John Wick kill

Jesus feed

Spanish flu kill

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

I'm in Australia...My results:

Ivan Milat kill

Black Death kill

John Wick kill

Jesus feed

Spanish flu kill

Well maybe the John Wick result isn’t so mysterious. I trust google again lol.

Next week I’m switching to a Samsung phone for the first time in ten years. Been with Iphone forever. I’m really green with android devices so if I gather the info correctly, there’s a default google app I’ll have to turn off or it’ll be listening to me?

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

Well maybe the John Wick result isn’t so mysterious. I trust google again lol.

Next week I’m switching to a Samsung phone for the first time in ten years. Been with Iphone forever. I’m really green with android devices so if I gather the info correctly, there’s a default google app I’ll have to turn off or it’ll be listening to me?

That depends how worried you are. 

I get asked for a review when I'm at the pub. 

The ads for fishing reels have come from active searches. They keep showing me the same ads even after bought a reel.

I don't think my privacy had been invaded terribly; and, I don't do anything I'm worried about anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 1:44 AM, F3SS said:

if I gather the info correctly, there’s a default google app I’ll have to turn off or it’ll be listening to me?

My point in creating this thread was.....

Since the latest updates, I am no longer able to turn off the "Ok Google" assistant, because the option isn't there!  Every time it's on my home screen, it is listening to me.

The only way to stop it (as godnodog said) is by rooting your phone.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, acute said:

Isn't the Google bar on your home screen too? It is on my phone.

I shifted the widget off my homescreen because I'm anal and I like a clear homescreen.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 10:58 AM, acute said:

My point in creating this thread was.....

Since the latest updates, I am no longer able to turn off the "Ok Google" assistant, because the option isn't there!  Every time it's on my home screen, it is listening to me.

The only way to stop it (as godnodog said) is by rooting your phone.

So I got my new Note 9 phone the other night and google certainly has its grip on it. I decided the heck with it and agreed to almost everything. It’s listening and tracking no matter what imo and disagreeing to a lot of things will dumb down the user experience. Screw it, let em listen. It’s mostly about targeted advertising so I might as well get the full user experience and see ads for things I like. The alternative is a lesser experience and irrelevant ads.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, F3SS said:

So I got my new Note 9 phone the other night and google certainly has its grip on it. I decided the heck with it and agreed to almost everything. It’s listening and tracking no matter what imo and disagreeing to a lot of things will dumb down the user experience. Screw it, let em listen. It’s mostly about targeted advertising so I might as well get the full user experience and see ads for things I like. The alternative is a lesser experience and irrelevant ads.

Maybe it's a generational split?

If you clearly remember a time before the internet, cell phones, and targeted advertising, you are less inclined to accept the intrusion into your daily life, your private conversations, and your most intimate of moments.

Obviously, not being able to turn off the Google Assistant (on Android smartphones) means that it listens to everything you say, which I find Orwellian and deeply disturbing.

Link to Fox News article.

• Like 2

On 08/08/2018 at 4:01 AM, acute said:

I use a Moto G4 with Android 7.0, and since the last app update, the Ok, Google voice detection can no longer be turned off.  It sits there, listening to me 24/7, draining my battery. 

There is no setting that turns it off, and even the microphone permission toggle has disappeared!

There are some people very angry about this, and I'm one of them.

I'm an Apple IPhone user and I can tell u know Google will still be listening to ya even when you "think" it's off....

• Like 1