Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you prepared?

Myles

Just curious how many of you have any preparedness plans.   If the grid goes down.   If times get tough.   If power goes out.  If trucking is significantly dropped.

I'm not a zombie apocalypse type of guy.   I do live a mile outside of a smaller town.   I live on 7 acres with 50 acres of woods bordering me.  

The most I have is a battery operated radio that can also be wound.  Won that at a company party a few years ago.   I put that and a few other things (flashlight, tools and power bank) into a plastic box in the basement.    

• Like 9

I guess I do have a few guns.   

Also a cistern.   Chickens.    Fruit trees.   

• Like 6

I have supermarkets close by. If the sh!t hits the fan, I know where to plunder.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Haha 3

That is my one concern here, I need a cistern imo. Some water source and filtration system if our local water (leaded) goes down. Three rain barells by the barn won't be a lot of good without a good filtration process. I need to research and get on that, actually.

Otherwise it was built before electric and we prep up to how I was raised doing it in Florida to always be ready for a hurricane. Few guns, few acres, remote. 

• Like 4

I live in a solar powered camper. Have a crossbow so I don't need bullets and there is sooo many stupid and slow rednecks stockpiling that I should never need supplies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Got a good filtration plan for river and swamp water? If anyone does, you do. I needs it. I wants it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Got a good filtration plan for river and swamp water? If anyone does, you do. I needs it. I wants it. 

Boiling or iodine tabs and you can make your own charcoal filter or solar still.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Boiling or iodine tabs and you can make your own charcoal filter or solar still.

I am working on the plan to make a passive filter with sand and charcoal and then boil it or do the sun thing in glass bottles to sterilize. It would be the simplest and cheapest option.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Get yourself a "BIG BERKEY"  the Brits used them in India and they'll filter almost anything.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

i plan to be eaten by wild dogs

Well at least you have a plan!!! Not much of one but a plan anyway and who needs plan B...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, JVG said:

Well at least you have a plan!!! Not much of one but a plan anyway and who needs plan B...

Wild dogs is a good plan.  Just mind they aren't two-legged.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JVG said:

i want to support those who should replace us

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We put in a water well with a manual pump.  We're too close to "civilization" to survive without a larger community of like-minded folk, though.  A REAL grid down that lasts for a year or more would take a lot of people and it would become really brutal for a while.  If you think people can act outrageously now, take away their electricity and let them get scared and hungry.  People who get into prepping in a big way can spend a huge amount of money and can become kind of obsessive with it.  To each his own but unless they're willing to kill a lot of people to defend what they have, it's pointless.  I could shoot a person who is trying to harm my family but I could never shoot anyone who was just hungry and desperate and once the word got out that someone was feeding people, the crowd would form and after there was no food left, the next crowd wouldn't believe you and would probably kill you to make you tell them where your "cache" was... A world without rule of law would be a brutal and relatively brief existence for many.  I pray not to ever have that experience.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, and then said:

We put in a water well with a manual pump.  We're too close to "civilization" to survive without a larger community of like-minded folk, though.  A REAL grid down that lasts for a year or more would take a lot of people and it would become really brutal for a while.  If you think people can act outrageously now, take away their electricity and let them get scared and hungry.  People who get into prepping in a big way can spend a huge amount of money and can become kind of obsessive with it.  To each his own but unless they're willing to kill a lot of people to defend what they have, it's pointless.  I could shoot a person who is trying to harm my family but I could never shoot anyone who was just hungry and desperate and once the word got out that someone was feeding people, the crowd would form and after there was no food left, the next crowd wouldn't believe you and would probably kill you to make you tell them where your "cache" was... A world without rule of law would be a brutal and relatively brief existence for many.  I pray not to ever have that experience.

There was a well here but he filled it in with rocks and closed it up because the water was "hard". Who cares? It was down into a spring so I have wondered how hard it would be to drill and hit it again, but idk. That spring rises close enough that it can leave part of the orchard ground wet so it isn't far down there for sure. Have to run mayhaw and juju in the orchard as it can be too wet at times for most especially with recent floods. They seem to be yearly now. I have wondered if I could revert it to a shallow pond, but again, with recent floods maybe I don't want to do that. As it is we are perfectly set to not flood here. Pond may be a bad idea. The creek at the back flood the back half of the acreage as it is. Don't need it any higher.

Man people lost their minds when power was out for 3 days after a hurricane back in Florida when I was a cop. Between the wacked and the looters it sure gave you a dark insight into your community. Folks with generators will die first if only to shut off the noise once the cops are not coming anymore.

There are so many things people can do on the cheap to make life easier for them if power is lost for a few days. Get those cheap sets of like 12 driveway markers powered by solar and charge em up and bring them in and use them for lights inside to find your way around for one. Not brilliant but they will get you by and be safe for even kids to carry around for light or sleep with on the bed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, and then said:

That's a good point. Our family has a lot of food and water stored up for the long haul. But without a survival plan and some backup survival gear it doesn't do us any good if we run out of those things too soon. While we have a good water filtration system, we've also been looking into learning how to hunt with a bow and crossbow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I've done anything about is my water supply. That's the one thing that concerns me, so I've installed two more water barrels to collect rain water off the greenhouse.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Up in the "Rough Patch" which is a high and super dry section of the Pines sometimes called the "Pygmy Forest" I used a solar still. Dig a hole in the sand. Pee or put sour water in the hole. Set a canteen cup in it. Cover it with a tight piece of plastic,  and put a rock in the middle of the plastic. The water evaporates in the hole. Condenses on the plastic and drips into the cup.  Then drop a iodine or chlorine tab in. 

• Like 3

I got some stuff stashed in the woods. :gun:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Myles said:

Just curious how many of you have any preparedness plans.   If the grid goes down.   If times get tough.   If power goes out.  If trucking is significantly dropped.

I'm not a zombie apocalypse type of guy.   I do live a mile outside of a smaller town.   I live on 7 acres with 50 acres of woods bordering me.  

The most I have is a battery operated radio that can also be wound.  Won that at a company party a few years ago.   I put that and a few other things (flashlight, tools and power bank) into a plastic box in the basement.    

Man im the absolute worse offender right now because for the first time ever im not currently prepared and I definitely know better. We moved across the country and back a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to wholly recoup my bug out box. 

You know being prepared is smart even taking Armageddon type scenarios out of it. Several years ago our condo complex caught fire and I was able to get our bug out box which had all our birth certificates bank info etc, a couple weeks of food and medical aid and have it out with enough time to make a couple more trips to grab clothes and sentimental stuff 

• Like 1

I am all in favour for a gud ol time apocalypse scare, humans are a plague at their current numbers and attitude towards the ecossystem, and no I am not an environmentalist nutjob, just maybe a nutjob, at very least an idiot.

• Like 1

i just realized my plan has a flaw: there aren't really that many wild dogs here.

i guess i'll have to let the coyotes gnaw my bones. still pretty good.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I have supermarkets close by. If the sh!t hits the fan, I know where to plunder.

Oh goodness.  This was my survival plan.

Or to plunder the neighbours while there out plundering.

Also I have fruit and vegetables growing all year round, a fire to cook on and warm my home, a fish pond full of fresh water, candles, reminds me I need to get toilet paper. 

After the 2005 earthquakes here, we are all pretty prepared.  Nothing prepares you like a deadly earthquake followed by a few dozen potentially deadly ones.

• Like 1

Living on a boat we do not need hooking up to electricity, we have enough solar panels to run our t.v, fridge and lighting and we also have the engine, a Lister 2 which we can run the washing machine off. 

We have a stove burner with a back boiler in the sitting room and an Epping stove in the boatsman cabin. Wood is not a problem when sailing along the canals or river and we have a chainsaw and generator for chopping it up. We have 6 leisure batteries which can be topped up.by the solar panels. 

We love our books so would not miss the internet if we did not have it. 

• Like 1