Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reflecting sun's rays would cause crops fail

Still Waters

6 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

OR:  one could just use the numbers in the JD column.

Averaging in that manner should not have much effect on the correlation coefficient.

Doug

Ok. Yes, that would have been easier and I can see I've even made a few mistakes when I averaged the 4 three month averages. Another thing I notice is that the 4 three month averages give values closer to the DN column than the JD column. So if I corrected the mistakes I made, then the difference between your values and mine would be because I'm using the DN column or values closer to the DN column while you are using the JD column? Right?

1 hour ago, lost_shaman said:

Ok. Yes, that would have been easier and I can see I've even made a few mistakes when I averaged the 4 three month averages. Another thing I notice is that the 4 three month averages give values closer to the DN column than the JD column. So if I corrected the mistakes I made, then the difference between your values and mine would be because I'm using the DN column or values closer to the DN column while you are using the JD column? Right?

Right.

1 hour ago, lost_shaman said:

Using the JD column I get an r^2 of 0.8362 which is basically what you got, yours was r^2 0.8368.

If we use exactly the same inputs and exactly the same process, we should get exactly the same result.  It sounds like rounding error.

Doug

On 9/14/2018 at 4:50 PM, Doug1o29 said:

If we use exactly the same inputs and exactly the same process, we should get exactly the same result.  It sounds like rounding error.

Doug

From what I've read the small rounding error is probably just the difference between the two different Stat packages we are using. Too small to be of any real significance.

14 hours ago, lost_shaman said:

From what I've read the small rounding error is probably just the difference between the two different Stat packages we are using. Too small to be of any real significance.

Rounding error is usually insignificant, but there are rare occasions when it can get gigantic.  Pays to keep an eye open for those.

Doug