Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. refuses to back Canada over Saudi Arabia

ExpandMyMind

spokeswoman, speaking at a media briefing in Washington, would not publicly condemn Riyadh’s arrest of civil-rights activists in the Mideast kingdom, as the Canadian government did last week. Heather Nauert said it is up to Canada and Saudi Arabia to resolve their differences. “We can’t do it for them,” she said.

Reuters reported today that Saudi Arabia is stopping all medical treatment programs in Canada and is working on the transfer of all Saudi patients from hospitals there.

Source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

See what happens when we mind our own business? If Trump had made any comment he would have been accused of interfering or stirring the pot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

He would have been applauded for caring about human rights for a change. 

Trump would love it if he could lock up protesters and dissenters like Saudi Arabia does

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Trump would love it if he could lock up protesters and dissenters like Saudi Arabia does

When you look at the government's hiding of exculpatory evidence in the J20 case it sure as hell looks like he tried to go that direction right off the bat. 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

He would have been applauded for caring about human rights for a change. 

I highly doubt it.

Here’s why Canadian allies are keeping their mouths shut in dispute with Saudi Arabia

https://globalnews.ca/news/4376037/canada-saudi-arabia-dispute-united-states-silent/

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I highly doubt it.

I for one would have.

I do notice this is becoming a common refrain "Trump would have done the right thing but didnt cuz he wouldn't have gotten credit for it anyways" . 

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Here’s why Canadian allies are keeping their mouths shut in dispute with Saudi Arabia

https://globalnews.ca/news/4376037/canada-saudi-arabia-dispute-united-states-silent/

Saudi Arabia just today hit a schoolbus full of children with an airstrike in Yemen. Their leaders are scum who our POTUS and his family are friends with. 

The absolute BEST case scenario is that this is about money as your link laid out. What the hell does that say about us as human beings that this is considered the best case scenario?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I do notice this is becoming a common refrain "Trump would have done the right thing but didnt cuz he wouldn't have gotten credit for it anyways" . 

I've been saying the same thing loooong before Trump. It never changes.

• Like 2

Just now, Michelle said:

See what happens when we mind our own business? If Trump had made any comment he would have been accused of interfering or stirring the pot.

absolutely, let them sort it our by themselves, after all canada has progressive liberal gvmnt,  so let them show us how it is done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Moralizing is risky when it comes to prideful people who have something you need. Canada is going to take a hit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Moralizing is risky when it comes to prideful people who have something you need. Canada is going to take a hit.

From the article:

“I give Chrystia Freeland high marks as foreign minister, but the government needs to pick up its game on this issue,” Mr. Baird said. “They have allowed this relationship to deteriorate and it’s in the interests of the government of Canada and the people of Canada to immediately seek to resolve this fight.”

He said he is concerned the full economic toll of the dispute could be billions of dollars. “This is going to be bad news for Canadian jobs and the Canadian economy. My best advice for this government would be for the Prime Minister to get on a plane to Riyadh and try to resolve this issue.”

Also, Tuesday, news broke that Saudi Arabia is halting purchases of wheat and barley from Canada. Cam Dahl with Cereals Canada, an industry association, said the Mideast country has given notice it will no longer buy from Canada. He said barley sales to Saudi Arabia make up a significant share of Canadian exports and this market will be difficult to replace because of agricultural protectionism around the world. According to Statistics Canada, Canada sold more than $44-million worth of barley to Saudi Arabia in 2017.

So it's going to hurt our grain exports, hot on the heels of a $15 billion armored vehicle contract with SA.

Dr. Juneau said the Canadian government’s tweets were only the catalyst for this row. He said the Saudi reaction is driven by frustration that has accumulated over several years. The Saudis had awarded Canada the $15-billion armoured-vehicle deal to cement a deeper friendship, but when the Liberal government took power in 2015, it backed away from Riyadh owing to public outcry over the military sale and did not respond to invitations for high-level visits to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis, he said, began to feel “ripped off.”

I actually stand with the Liberal Gov on this one. Money can't be the only factor in international relations. We have a reputation as a country of high moral character and it's gross that we do business with a country of very poor moral character. We had a contract to sell them armored vehicles which SA will do what with? Oppress someone else? 

Gavin McInnes was right: we should have never told those camel jockeys the black liquid under their feet was valuable. They don't deserve all that wealth.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Yep. So why on Earth would he condemn it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

From the article:

So it's going to hurt our grain exports, hot on the heels of a $15 billion armored vehicle contract with SA.

I actually stand with the Liberal Gov on this one. Money can't be the only factor in international relations. We have a reputation as a country of high moral character and it's gross that we do business with a country of very poor moral character. We had a contract to sell them armored vehicles which SA will do what with? Oppress someone else? 

Gavin McInnes was right: we should have never told those camel jockeys the black liquid under their feet was valuable. They don't deserve all that wealth.

Personally I would dump Saudi as soon as possible but that won't happen. Second best might be to quietly help Canada out somehow.

• Like 4

Hmm.  Don't want to p*** off Saudi Arabia because we need them to stabilize oil prices with the sanctions and stuff going on with Iran.

Can upset the Canadians some because we still have a bit of good will left over from our years together.

Need both to honor our sanctions against those we dislike all over the world.

Perhaps playing neutral is the best in this case?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Hmm.  Don't want to p*** off Saudi Arabia because we need them to stabilize oil prices with the sanctions and stuff going on with Iran.

What a scam they have going, eh? Just restrict or flood the oil market as desired to keep every one in the palm of your hand.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

What a scam they have going, eh? Just restrict or flood the oil market as desired to keep every one in the palm of your hand.

Oh yeah.  I've been there.  To say human rights is an issue about them is a bit of an understatement.  But they have oil so we look the other way.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Oh yeah.  I've been there.  To say human rights is an issue about them is a bit of an understatement.  But they have oil so we look the other way.

The tragic irony is that we also have oil. Lots of it. Too bad that every attempt we make at oil independence results in bottomed out prices thanks to SA. I don't see a way out of this scheme

• Like 4

They named one dissident that Canada ordered S.A. to release, do we have a full list of all the others?

Has Canada issued similar demands to Iran or Pakistan?  This is not nit-picking, this is exactly what the Saudis themselves will be asking. I've been there, I know those guys, and they keep a very wary eye on what is going on across the Gulf. 

The new Boss-of-all-Saud has been pushing the envelope with his internal reforms (by the standards of those damned Wahabis) , but if he appears to be giving in to this sort of thing, the Militant Fundamentalists will have some serious leverage on him.

And you guys are saying that Trump is the bumpkin when it comes to international diplomacy? 

Sorry, not seeing that here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

They named one dissident that Canada ordered S.A. to release, do we have a full list of all the others?

Has Canada issued similar demands to Iran or Pakistan?  This is not nit-picking, this is exactly what the Saudis themselves will be asking. I've been there, I know those guys, and they keep a very wary eye on what is going on across the Gulf. 

The new Boss-of-all-Saud has been pushing the envelope with his internal reforms (by the standards of those damned Wahabis) , but if he appears to be giving in to this sort of thing, the Militant Fundamentalists will have some serious leverage on him.

And you guys are saying that Trump is the bumpkin when it comes to international diplomacy? 

Sorry, not seeing that here.

Today, over in Asia: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180810_03/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

WTF does that have to do with this.... unless your entire focus on everything under the sun is to sh!t on Trump?

From your article-  

Analysts say the North is seeking to rattle the US government, which has not displayed a willingness to ease sanctions.

Big whoop.

Nothing to say whatsoever about what this means in relation to anything at all that has anything to do with the S.A. or the Muddle East as a whole?

Yup, didn't thing so.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

WTF does that have to do with this.... unless your entire focus on everything under the sun is to sh!t on Trump?

You're the guy that brought him up... 

Saw this as well:  https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/saudi-arabia-canada-send-message-analysts-180808203344288.html

"It's pretty clear that [Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman] is using Canada to send a message to the rest of the world that if you want to trade with Saudi Arabia, then you need to shut up on human rights," said Nader Hashemi, director of the University of Denver's Center for Middle East Studies at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies. 

Hashemi said the root cause of the diplomatic crisis with Canada is bin Salman himself.

The crown prince, commonly referred to as MBS, "is drunk on power and arrogant and suffers from a deep dose of youthful naivete and believes that he has [US President] Donald Trump in his back pocket and can do whatever he wants", Hashemi told Al Jazeera.

- from the article

• Like 2

Egypt is siding with Saudi Arabia

https://www.egyptindependent.com/egypt-announces-solidarity-with-saudi-arabia-in-its-spat-with-canada/

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said that his country stands with Saudi Arabia in its rejection of foreign intervention in its internal affairs or any attempts to undermine its sovereignty, following Saudi Arabia’s recent spat with Canada.

• Confused 1