Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Slender Man' movie will respect attack victim

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Slender Man' movie will respect attack victim

I was wondering about that when I saw the preview.

• Like 1

I don't understand the connection between an attempted murder and this movie. It's not clear to me from the article.

8 minutes ago, acute said:

I don't understand the connection between an attempted murder and this movie. It's not clear to me from the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing

• Like 2

We seriously need to stop babying our society. If you can't handle a fictional movie, than don't go watch it. Should the state ban knives while they're at it too? Stop blaming things that have no conscience and start accepting that some people are just crazy. Welcome to reality, stop living in a bubble. I personally don't care, but it's stupid that someone has to drive further just to watch a movie.

Edited by Trenix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Trenix - Maybe that's the real reason why the movie won't play at those locations.  If the movie hits too close to home, as a business man, would you take the chance of leasing the film for your theater?  You could lose a ton of money.  All theaters do this if the owners don't think a movie will play well in certain demographic areas, the movie just doesn't get booked for those areas.  When I travel I see lots of ads for movies that never play in Charlotte or are here and gone in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

Are we beginning to see signs of a reemergence of civility, perhaps even empathy? That we can step beyond greed and self-centeredness is indeed a step in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

@Trenix - Maybe that's the real reason why the movie won't play at those locations.  If the movie hits too close to home, as a business man, would you take the chance of leasing the film for your theater?  You could lose a ton of money.  All theaters do this if the owners don't think a movie will play well in certain demographic areas, the movie just doesn't get booked for those areas.  When I travel I see lots of ads for movies that never play in Charlotte or are here and gone in the blink of an eye.

In a business standpoint, I'm sure people would watch the movie who live there especially after such an event to see what it's all about. People are generally curious. Anyway, if burglary happens in a county, should all movies with burglaries in them not played in movie theaters? Same with knife attacks? What about homicides? How far are we willing to go to keep our society babied and unaware of the reality?

18 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Are we beginning to see signs of a reemergence of civility, perhaps even empathy? That we can step beyond greed and self-centeredness is indeed a step in the right direction.

Civility, empathy? Where is the civility and empathy for those who want to watch the movie? The movie and concept did absolutely nothing, it was the mentally ill child. If it wasn't the slender man, it would be the boogieman. It's sad that everyone is so quick to result to emotion over logic.

Edited by Trenix

Maybe Slender Man should do commercials for Slim Fast...:lol:

• Haha 1

Oh, they respected the attack victims alright. Audiences are the true victims.

I would know because I saw it at noon today, and it wasn't the "funny" kind of bad I was hoping for. It was just boring.

Huh... most respectful.

Seems kind of pointless in the internet/streaming video age...

On 8/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, UM-Bot said:

The movie will not play in two counties out of respect for a girl who was almost killed by two teenagers.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/320429/slender-man-movie-will-respect-attack-victim

That was rather considerate on the behalf of Marcus Theaters to opt not to show the movie in the communities impacted by the crime. To my understanding, Payton's father has been objectionable to the movie ever since Sony announced it was going to make it.

• Like 1

I can understand why the parents weren't happy about the movie, and why those particular theaters decided not to show it.

Sometimes people capitalize on tragedies. 

Slenderman was just a creepypasta, but then it became associated with this tragedy. 

It's kind of like how Five Nights at Freddy's seems to be based off of actual murders that happened at a Chuck E. Cheese.

I guess no one could prove that's what inspired the game, but if it did...it would be pretty s****y to make a video game out of it. 

6 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I can understand why the parents weren't happy about the movie, and why those particular theaters decided not to show it.

Sometimes people capitalize on tragedies. 

Slenderman was just a creepypasta, but then it became associated with this tragedy. 

It's kind of like how Five Nights at Freddy's seems to be based off of actual murders that happened at a Chuck E. Cheese.

I guess no one could prove that's what inspired the game, but if it did...it would be pretty s****y to make a video game out of it. 

I can understand it too... Sony went ahead with plans to do the movie before the case on the attempted murder was even completely closed. It was only a few months ago (December and February) that the attackers were sentenced. Sony hit the timing hard on this one. Though it is something to note that HBO released their Beware the Slenderman weeks before Sony announced their movie, and there has been a release of of a documentary, A Self-Induced Hallucination, earlier this year.

At least with Five Nights at Freddy's is that if it's based in part off the actual crime- they waited a couple decades to do it. That crime happened in 93, and Freddy's started coming out in 2014.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, Trenix said:

In a business standpoint, I'm sure people would watch the movie who live there especially after such an event to see what it's all about. People are generally curious. Anyway, if burglary happens in a county, should all movies with burglaries in them not played in movie theaters? Same with knife attacks? What about homicides? How far are we willing to go to keep our society babied and unaware of the reality?

Civility, empathy? Where is the civility and empathy for those who want to watch the movie? The movie and concept did absolutely nothing, it was the mentally ill child. If it wasn't the slender man, it would be the boogieman. It's sad that everyone is so quick to result to emotion over logic.

Emotion over logic?  A society is judged by how it treats and shows compassion for those who cannot protect or fend for themselves. "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."
~ Mahatma Ghandi

• Like 1

It almost seems a little too soon for Hollywood to capitalise.. maybe that’s just me though, I know plenty of movies have been made about true crimes but this is still so recent if that makes sense, like the victim is still a young teenager :( 

On 8/13/2018 at 4:59 PM, highdesert50 said:

Emotion over logic?  A society is judged by how it treats and shows compassion for those who cannot protect or fend for themselves. "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."
~ Mahatma Ghandi

Life is far more complicated than stating empathy and thinking you made some logical point through virtue signalling. Logic is often times better than emotion, because emotion is irrational. Irrational thoughts and actions are profit for many organizations. This is why I'm not surprised that logic is under attack in collapsing societies. Anyway, tell me, if you had a dog and it was drowning along side of a man you didn't know and was also drowning, who would you save? You see, using emotion won't help you here, but logic would. Emotion is useful for particular purposes, but not in decisions, leadership roles, or education.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:31 PM, Trenix said:

Life is far more complicated than stating empathy and thinking you made some logical point through virtue signalling. Logic is often times better than emotion, because emotion is irrational. Irrational thoughts and actions are profit for many organizations. This is why I'm not surprised that logic is under attack in collapsing societies. Anyway, tell me, if you had a dog and it was drowning along side of a man you didn't know and was also drowning, who would you save? You see, using emotion won't help you here, but logic would. Emotion is useful for particular purposes, but not in decisions, leadership roles, or education.

Just to clarify, empathy is not sympathy nor does does empathy necessarily need to be associated with 'emotion' other than perhaps the idea of empathic concern. An often used definition is 'walking in someone else's shoes' or 'seeing through the eyes of the other individual.' Empathy is fundamentally a critical thinking skill, even a survival skill. For example, in the medical arena, we use empathy to give us more insight into what a patient is experiencing to provide better treatment. But, this not mean that we are sympathizing with a patient; to do so on a continuous basis would be emotionally debilitating and could compromise treatment. Thus, applied to the example of the man and dog drowning, empathy would encourage us to attempt to 'experience' what the drowning man and drowning dog are experiencing.

1 hour ago, highdesert50 said:

Just to clarify, empathy is not sympathy nor does does empathy necessarily need to be associated with 'emotion' other than perhaps the idea of empathic concern. An often used definition is 'walking in someone else's shoes' or 'seeing through the eyes of the other individual.' Empathy is fundamentally a critical thinking skill, even a survival skill. For example, in the medical arena, we use empathy to give us more insight into what a patient is experiencing to provide better treatment. But, this not mean that we are sympathizing with a patient; to do so on a continuous basis would be emotionally debilitating and could compromise treatment. Thus, applied to the example of the man and dog drowning, empathy would encourage us to attempt to 'experience' what the drowning man and drowning dog are experiencing.

I never used empathy for the example, but rather emotion. Also both empathy and sympathy rely on emotion. Empathy is understanding and sharing what someone else feels while sympathy, is also the same that you feel what others feel and you feel sorrow for how they feel. They're much more similar than you think.

I think it’s a good idea that they want to respect the victim and it won’t play there, but I don’t really see a connection between the movie and what those girls did.

Those girls were mentally ill and couldn’t separate fantasy from reality. It wasn’t Slenderman that had to do with it. So I don’t think the movie has a connection to what happened.

About the movie - I went to see it on Tuesday and it wasn’t a great movie. Sure it was tense at sometimes and had some suspense, but other times it dragged on and just got confusing.

19 hours ago, Trenix said:

I never used empathy for the example, but rather emotion. Also both empathy and sympathy rely on emotion. Empathy is understanding and sharing what someone else feels while sympathy, is also the same that you feel what others feel and you feel sorrow for how they feel. They're much more similar than you think.

There is a profound distinction in that empathy is an intellectual process. There is reasoning involved, The principles of reasoning form the basis of logic. To feel what another feels provides valuable interpretive information to the formulation of a logical construct, an action.