Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

Coach punches man to death for touching car

34 posts in this topic

The Caspian Hare

https://abc7ny.com/university-basketball-coach-charged-in-queens-punch-death/3917496/

ASTORIA, Queens (WABC) --  Police have arrested a university basketball coach following a deadly punch on the streets of Queens.

Blow to the head can be deadly, moreso if your head also hits the ground falling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

OverSword
14 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

https://abc7ny.com/university-basketball-coach-charged-in-queens-punch-death/3917496/

Blow to the head can be deadly, moreso if your head also hits the ground falling

So glad they caught this guy. 

And in addition, this is justification for the stand your ground shooting in the parking lot in Florida.  As I've said over and over, one good punch can be deadly so there is no reason not to use all force at your disposal while defending yourself.  If the aggressor is killed in the process then that's on them.

Edit to add, I'm sure the assaulter had not intention of killing anyone and probably feels horrible, prayers to both of their families.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Grandpa Greenman

Just the kind of guy you want to teach your college kid to play sports. 

• Like 5

Browng0at

I just dont understand Americans...

• Thanks 1

psyche101
33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So glad they caught this guy. 

He handed himself in. 

And in addition, this is justification for the stand your ground shooting in the parking lot in Florida.  As I've said over and over, one good punch can be deadly so there is no reason not to use all force at your disposal while defending yourself.  If the aggressor is killed in the process then that's on them.

No it's not. Nothing alike. This was an honest mistake, that barbaric law gives all the power to the aggressor. 

Edit to add, I'm sure the assaulter had not intention of killing anyone and probably feels horrible, prayers to both of their families.

Yes, I'm sure that will help. 

OverSword
2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No it's not. Nothing alike. This was an honest mistake, that barbaric law gives all the power to the aggressor. 

The aggressor is the first to get physical so what are you talking about? This was not an honest mistake this was a stupid hot head whose temper and lack of thought and judgement killed a person. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

psyche101
19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The aggressor is the first to get physical so what are you talking about? This was not an honest mistake this was a stupid hot head whose temper and lack of thought and judgement killed a person. 

And he will be charged but the other murderer wasn't. 

OverSword
Just now, psyche101 said:

We will have to agree to disagree 

• Like 2

psyche101
Just now, OverSword said:

We will have to agree to disagree 

Indeed. 

• Like 1

seanjo
2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Manslaughter, not Murder.

• Thanks 1

seanjo

The victim was drunk and banging on car windows looking for his uber driver, it's possible he was the aggressor and the punch was thrown in self-defence. Best leave who is guilty of what to the courts.

Michelle
1 hour ago, seanjo said:

The victim was drunk and banging on car windows looking for his uber driver, it's possible he was the aggressor and the punch was thrown in self-defence. Best leave who is guilty of what to the courts.

The guy was protected, in his car, and if he had stayed in the car, with the doors locked, there would have been no problem. There was no reason to get out and confront the victim. Sure, if the car window had been bashed in ...maybe. As it stands, the guy who mistook him as an Uber seems to be the innocent victim.

As they say "in more civilized societies", his reaction was a use of more force than was needed. He certainly didn't need to resort to such extreme measures.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seanjo
4 hours ago, Michelle said:

The guy was protected, in his car, and if he had stayed in the car, with the doors locked, there would have been no problem. There was no reason to get out and confront the victim. Sure, if the car window had been bashed in ...maybe. As it stands, the guy who mistook him as an Uber seems to be the innocent victim.

As they say "in more civilized societies", his reaction was a use of more force than was needed. He certainly didn't need to resort to such extreme measures.

He punched him in the face, happens all of the time, this was an extreme result, not an extreme measure.

• Like 1

OverSword
3 hours ago, seanjo said:

He punched him in the face, happens all of the time, this was an extreme result, not an extreme measure.

Happens all the time?  I think the last time I was punched in the face was 1985.  Nope.  Punching people is not "normal".  Punch me in the face and I will defend myself with extreme force and it will be the other persons fault if they are injured or killed as I most certainly would not throw the first punch.

• Thanks 1

seanjo
2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Happens all the time?  I think the last time I was punched in the face was 1985.  Nope.  Punching people is not "normal".  Punch me in the face and I will defend myself with extreme force and it will be the other persons fault if they are injured or killed as I most certainly would not throw the first punch.

It's Friday, tonight thousands of punches will be thrown in and around the pubs and nightclubs of Britain.

• Like 1

OverSword
9 minutes ago, seanjo said:

It's Friday, tonight thousands of punches will be thrown in and around the pubs and nightclubs of Britain.

Yes there will no doubt be many drunken sucker punches thrown.  I'm out nearly every Friday night and I can't remember the last time I saw a fight.  Maybe you need guns to create a more peaceful environment. :tu:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

and then
1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Yes there will no doubt be many drunken sucker punches thrown.  I'm out nearly every Friday night and I can't remember the last time I saw a fight.  Maybe you need guns to create a more peaceful environment. :tu:

When men would call each other out for a slight by a challenge to a duel, people were a damned sight more well-behaved.  It made a man prioritize his thinking on perceived slights.

• Like 4

seanjo
5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Or just understand if you are a being a dick you are going to get punched...way less of a mortality rate than having guns..look it up.

OverSword
56 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Or just understand if you are a being a dick you are going to get punched...way less of a mortality rate than having guns..look it up.

I reserve the right to be a dick without having to pay a physical price.

But I notice your low mortality rate hasn't convinced your government to give up it's nuclear weapons.

seanjo
41 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I reserve the right to be a dick without having to pay a physical price.

But I notice your low mortality rate hasn't convinced your government to give up it's nuclear weapons.

Eh?

OverSword
53 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Eh?

If you have to explain it, it may not be funny.  But here goes anywho. 

The rationale for having nuclear weapons is they are a deterrent from aggression.  If that's the case just think how much more peaceful your life could be if everyone at the pub had a gun. :tu:

skliss

I don't know if this is true but I heard on the radio he hit the guy so hard his teeth were in the back of his throat. There is a real anger management problem going on and I think it has to do with the "everyone gets a trophy" entitlement philosophy. People aren't learning how to deal with their emotions or disappointments in a healthy way.

• Sad 2

OverSword
53 minutes ago, skliss said:

I don't know if this is true but I heard on the radio he hit the guy so hard his teeth were in the back of his throat. There is a real anger management problem going on and I think it has to do with the "everyone gets a trophy" entitlement philosophy. People aren't learning how to deal with their emotions or disappointments in a healthy way.

What kind of a jerk/coward would take the opportunity to go full blast on a stranger too drunk to defend themselves? Not fit for society.

• Like 2

Dark_Grey
1 hour ago, skliss said:

There is a lot going on now compared to past generations..

Over population plays a big part. Rat studies show a marked increase in hostility as population density increases. This has been studied extensively in people to the point where they can predict, with some accuracy, what major city you are from based on your walking speed and the speed with which you speak. Think about it: small towns are known for what? Hospitality, a laid back attitude, slower driving...it's all related to population density.

Subconsciously, cramming millions of us in to concentrated areas IS having an effect on how we behave towards each other. Couple that with economic problems, medications (anti-psychotics are the most widely distributed,) poor nutrition, etc. and it's no wonder so many of us are constantly on the edge of violence. 

• Thanks 1