Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wasps surge 'worst in recent years' in UK

Still Waters

The prolonged hot weather has meant more time in the sun enjoying barbecues and drinks in the park but for many, the good times have been blighted by wasps.

The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) said this summer has been one of the worst for the yellow and black pests, with some experts expecting them to live longer as forecasters predict a warm autumn ahead.

Queens are expected to go back into hibernation by autumn, leaving wasps without a purpose and desperately searching for sugar, wherever they can get it.

The BPCA said pest controllers around the UK were destroying up to 12 nests a day.

https://news.sky.com/story/wasps-surge-worst-in-recent-years-as-hot-weather-grips-uk-11467195

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

if they want sugar, use a sweet bait. If you worry about bees, then use apple juice and vinegar, bees don't like the smell of vinegar as it decays but wasps do.

if your trouble is yellow jackets, like are the issue where I live, in Spring use a bit of hamburger in liquid as the rotting meat stink will draw those very well and if you get the queens early you may never have an issue by your house able to get going well. Some wasps in Spring also need protein to feed the young so try both kinds of bait in traps and go with what traps the most for you.

be sure they are dead when cleaning it or just make a bunch and throw used up traps out. Free and easy to make.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I had an open bottle of cider, just a few days back, took a sip and got a wasp in my mouth from the bottle, not only did the little git drink some of my cider and not spit it out, it stung the end of my tongue before I spat it out, I can only hope he was drunk and bumped his head on the way home!

I shouldn't laugh.... but, God help me, I did :D 

I hope you are fine now, seanjo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just the other day, I commented about the wasp invasion this year!

Not so many hornets, but more of the tiny little buggaz.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We have lots of wasps here. 

We have a plastic bottle, cut it in the middle, put apple pieces and fruit juice or beer in bottom half, turn top half upside down and sellotape to base, the wasps get in but can not get back out.

Main problem we have are children dropping sweets and adults dropping food on the ground and not picking it up....wasps are loving it. 

Why are some people such pigs, even when there is obviously a wasp problem they still drop their litter!!

• Like 1

Its bot about litter, even after 2 mins therea a wasp, the wasps are breeding more during this summer. Nothingntondo with litter

• Sad 1

We've had wasps nests in the past but nothing too bothersome. My parents also had one removed from their attic a few years ago, and going back even further my mum got stung by one while hanging out washing, she had to have her wedding ring cut off because it caused her finger to swell. Nobody else in the family has been stung that I'm aware of.

I can't say we've been bothered by wasps this year. We did have a queen bee trying to get in the window recently, looking for a place to start a nest probably.

A wasp's favorite sport is sting-pong....

• Sad 1

In the Southeast U.S. the bane of Summer is a similar looking wasp called The Yellowjacket. It builds huge nests in tree hollows, walls and abandoned underground burrows. In temperament, a lot like fire ants with wings.

http://www.drewmonkman.com/columns/the-stingers-of-summer-are-wasps-hornets-and-yellowjackets-ruining-your-outdoor-enjoyment/

Edited by Still Waters
Replaced copyrighted image with link

58 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

In the Southeast U.S. the bane of Summer is a similar looking wasp called The Yellowjacket. It builds huge nests in tree hollows, walls and abandoned underground burrows. In temperament, a lot like fire ants with wings.

We have them in the PNW too. Nasty little things when they get worked up. Coincidentally, I also live part time in Texas where we have fire ants. I can confirm that neither of them are known for their calm response to threats. I'd rather be chased by a bear than look down and see the top of my sneakers covered with fire ants :) (has happened, the welts can last for weeks).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

We have them in the PNW too. Nasty little things when they get worked up. Coincidentally, I also live part time in Texas where we have fire ants. I can confirm that neither of them are known for their calm response to threats. I'd rather be chased by a bear than look down and see the top of my sneakers covered with fire ants :) (has happened, the welts can last for weeks).

Got stung on the eyelid by a 'jacket when I was ten. Next day Dad and Papaw torched the nest with a gallon of gas.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

The queens hibernate come August. Social organization breaks down and the drones cease hunting insects to feed the larvae and freelance it feeding on sugary things where ever they find it and can spoil a picnic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A neighbours girlfriend was out camping about a month ago and stepped on a ground nest and got stung multiple times on the neck. The others had no cell service where they were, no antihistamines and no epi-pen. By the time they got her to the hospital she had slipped into a coma and died about a week later. :(

• Sad 4

16 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

A neighbours girlfriend was out camping about a month ago and stepped on a ground nest and got stung multiple times on the neck. The others had no cell service where they were, no antihistamines and no epi-pen. By the time they got her to the hospital she had slipped into a coma and died about a week later. :(

That is so terrible, I feel awful reading that :( . If she was that allergic, it's a shame she wasn't better prepared to take care of herself. Every year there seems to be a story about someone going out into nature unprepared that ends tragically. Local news usually runs something about this every spring to remind people that it's the winderness' job to try and kill you and it will if given the chance. Don't turn your back on her. Sorry for your neighbor.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, Calibeliever said:

It's just not the Southeast.  The Northeast gets them as well.  The ones in the South seem a lot meaner though.

• Like 1

Fire, flood, pestilence...

I'm telling you...

the end of the world.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GlitterRose said:

Fire, flood, pestilence...

I'm telling you...

the end of the world.

When's the next "official" target day for doomsday?  We survived 2000, 2012 and I'm not sure how many others.

The doomsday clock says we're 2 minutes away from midnight (midnight is intended as the time of the apocalypse).