Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Tiny new species of pygmy seahorse discovered

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

MEET THE JAPAN pig, a newfound species of pygmy seahorse discovered in Japan.

Only the size of a grain of rice, these colorful creatures inhabit shallow waters and blend in well with the algae-covered rocks where they live.

They’re easy to overlook, as their color makes them look like little bits of floating seaweed. Their coloration is “very special,” says Kevin Conway, associate professor and curator of fishes at Texas A&M University. “It's like a seahorse wearing a paisley pattern.”

Scientists have named the creature Hippocampus japapigu—using the Latin for “Japan pig,” the name adopted for it by divers who have seen it in southeastern Japan.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/tiny-pygmy-seahorse-discovered-japan-news/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
seanjo

Does this mean Jockeys have to get smaller?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks

Seahorses are adorable. They look like ready made brooches.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Seahorses are adorable. They look like ready made brooches.

You must be Chinese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
1 hour ago, seanjo said:

You must be Chinese.

I'm not. I don't get why the reference was made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
11 hours ago, Still Waters said:

MEET THE JAPAN pig, a newfound species of pygmy seahorse discovered in Japan.

Only the size of a grain of rice, these colorful creatures inhabit shallow waters and blend in well with the algae-covered rocks where they live.

They’re easy to overlook, as their color makes them look like little bits of floating seaweed. Their coloration is “very special,” says Kevin Conway, associate professor and curator of fishes at Texas A&M University. “It's like a seahorse wearing a paisley pattern.”

Scientists have named the creature Hippocampus japapigu—using the Latin for “Japan pig,” the name adopted for it by divers who have seen it in southeastern Japan.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/tiny-pygmy-seahorse-discovered-japan-news/

I am telling you...we need an aaaaaaah button.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
10 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

OMG that's terribly cruel. Wish I hadn't seen any of that. It's heartbreaking.

 

1 hour ago, DebDandelion said:

That link is just a NO from me. Its wrong (not the link itself...what they do with the animals)

It's bloody awful, but there is a market for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
2 hours ago, seanjo said:

It's bloody awful, but there is a market for it.

Yes it is bloody awful. I now regret my brooch comment. It was innocent in that the reference was meant to illustrate how pretty seahorses are, especially those that look like they're encrusted with tiny gemstones, but I still regret it nonetheless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes it is bloody awful. I now regret my brooch comment. It was innocent in that the reference was meant to illustrate how pretty seahorses are, especially those that look like they're encrusted with tiny gemstones, but I still regret it nonetheless.

Ignore me on Friday nights, it's my get drunk and unwind day.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.