Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiny new species of pygmy seahorse discovered

Still Waters

MEET THE JAPAN pig, a newfound species of pygmy seahorse discovered in Japan.

Only the size of a grain of rice, these colorful creatures inhabit shallow waters and blend in well with the algae-covered rocks where they live.

They’re easy to overlook, as their color makes them look like little bits of floating seaweed. Their coloration is “very special,” says Kevin Conway, associate professor and curator of fishes at Texas A&M University. “It's like a seahorse wearing a paisley pattern.”

Scientists have named the creature Hippocampus japapigu—using the Latin for “Japan pig,” the name adopted for it by divers who have seen it in southeastern Japan.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/tiny-pygmy-seahorse-discovered-japan-news/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Still Waters said:

MEET THE JAPAN pig, a newfound species of pygmy seahorse discovered in Japan.

Only the size of a grain of rice, these colorful creatures inhabit shallow waters and blend in well with the algae-covered rocks where they live.

They’re easy to overlook, as their color makes them look like little bits of floating seaweed. Their coloration is “very special,” says Kevin Conway, associate professor and curator of fishes at Texas A&M University. “It's like a seahorse wearing a paisley pattern.”

Scientists have named the creature Hippocampus japapigu—using the Latin for “Japan pig,” the name adopted for it by divers who have seen it in southeastern Japan.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/tiny-pygmy-seahorse-discovered-japan-news/

I am telling you...we need an aaaaaaah button.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

It's bloody awful, but there is a market for it.

Yes it is bloody awful. I now regret my brooch comment. It was innocent in that the reference was meant to illustrate how pretty seahorses are, especially those that look like they're encrusted with tiny gemstones, but I still regret it nonetheless.

• Like 1