Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halogen light bulbs to be removed in Europe

Still Waters

From the end of this month halogen lightbulbs are to be removed from the market across Europe, with households expected to switch to LED lights – which cost more but last far longer and use much less electricity than energy-hungry halogens.

According to Philips, the lighting manufacturer, the average UK household has 10 halogen bulbs and uses them for 2.7 hours a day. If that is correct, then hundreds of millions of halogens are going to have to be replaced. So why are they heading for the scrap heap – and what do you have to do?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/aug/11/switch-led-light-bulbs-halogen-ban

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Halogen light bulbs to be removed in Europe

I love the way they describe halogen bulbs as "energy-hungry" :D     Meanwhile, I still have incandescent bulbs in my house .....   Even they last for years if you've learned how to use the "off" switch (which admittedly is a highly complicated and skilled operation, apparently beyond the ability of most people).. 

• Haha 5

How good is the light from LEDs compared to Halogen in the practical home?

14 minutes ago, Essan said:

Meanwhile, I still have incandescent bulbs in my house .....  

Here too, I much prefer those. You can still buy them on Amazon and eBay.

And this is, of course, as a result of an EU directive. 

The "EU" that remainers  insist is a simple economic co-operative, is now telling us what sort of light bulbs we are ALLOWED to use. Not ADVISING us... not allowing market forces to persuade us to switch over, but FORCING us to do so. 

The sooner we are out, the better. 

Shame really, because this is a really good idea in most respects. LED bulbs are as nice as halogen or incandescent, but last forever and use b*****-all electricity. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I use them exclusively as electricity is very costly in my area and they have as wide a range of shades and brightness as halogens. 

Theyre also great for plants. 

• Thanks 1

I have been switching over to LED this year. Instant start up and provide a nice natural light, some can also be dimmed. 

The bigger wattage incandescent bulbs have been off the shelves for a while in UK, although there was a way around the reg's by going for industrial versions, so I bought some heavy duty 100w bulbs as a standby as I had used them in my backyard workshop along with fluorescent tubes.

I found fitting a dimmer to run conventional bulbs helped them last a lot longer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I use them exclusively as electricity is very costly in my area and they have as wide a range of shades and brightness as halogens. 

Theyre also great for plants. 

What watt or lumens are best say for say the living room, bath room, bed side lamp, desk lamp?

looking on amazon now choices seem to be. 40W. 60W. 75W. 100W. I'd guess 60W TO 75W? Don't want to make the wrong choice and end up sitting there looking like I'm caught in the traction beam of the starship enterprise.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

What watt or lumens are best say for say the living room, bath room, bed side lamp, desk lamp?

looking on amazon now choices seem to be. 40W. 60W. 75W. 100W. I'd guess 60W TO 75W? Don't want to make the wrong choice and end up sitting there looking like I'm caught in the traction beam of the starship enterprise.

I use 100 watt in all my lamps so I can turn them all the way up on cleaning day. They have three way switches so the light can be adjusted from low, medium to high. You can buy adapters very cheaply if your lamps aren't already three way.

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure I switched most of my bulbs to LED already...cant tell the difference lightwise, but they don't need replacing as often.

My two bits regarding lighting and actually seeing well when you're working on things. Nothing like strong white light, so tell your boss to toss those headache/migraine florescent tube jobbers pushed by nutjobs in the eighties or was it the 70's, whatever? they're tripe, back of the cave junk.

In a cabin, switched to modern LED lighting slide bar setup, worse thing we ever did, can never keep bulbs in them.  Again, worse thing we ever did.  Likely will ripe that tripe down

(it was installed way WAAAAY!!! too high up by braindead so called electricians anyway, like painters they could care less, they'll be unreachable by next year, not their problem. Lovely))

and just use the ones for standard bulbs which if left on and not off on off on, by the kids HA! those bulbs will last for years especially the three power type.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind of reminds me of that giant push for photo-shops etc. to start using the cool blue lighting bulbs specifically for the "pro photographer" , what a joke, and a rip off pushed by some company.  Everyone I know has tossed that junk and now use the true WHITE LIGHT from standard bulbs, what a difference, amazing, plus we don't have as much fire hazard from the heat coming off them as with those insane curly-cue one's filled with gas.  What a scam those were, oh, good if you need to heat your basement etc. etc. and only use during the winter that's what those are good for.

Edited by MWoo7

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

The watts on LED's are represented as "replacement watts" so if the box says 45W its actually like 6W of electricity being used but it is putting out the same amount of light as a traditional 45W light.  

The one thing I find with LED's is the warm and cool spectrums come through a little more strongly than they do with traditional lights so you may want to make sure youre getting the color range which you prefer. That may be because ive got light sensitivity issues though. 

• Thanks 2

blahblah.gif?v=2dksfja bleep, burns my .... no edits allowed, alright all the tools disappear anyway, worthless editor well it does have resize my image feature so not all is a loss aaannd moving on.happy.gif?v=2

REGARDING PREVIOUS POST::::: 

n a cabin, switched to modern LED lighting slide bar setup, worse thing we ever did, can never keep bulbs in them.  Again, worse thing we ever did.  Likely will ripe that tripe down

my evil twin says those were state of the art for mood and atmosphere brand new Halogen  lighting bars that were a huge mistake, .... not  what I'd previously stated LED.

I guess we will be looking into LED, but I said I'm perfectly fine with the old ones on the wall sconces, at least I can reach and replace them or work on them etc. etc.  .... so naturally in a month we will have LED installed HA!!!!!!!!!! funny how things work : D openarms.gif?v=2

Edited by MWoo7

On 8/11/2018 at 8:15 AM, stevewinn said:

totally depends on type of leds, and light fixture, it can be pretty ****ty, or it can be excellent. 

but one thing is true for all leds, it is a lot more complicated, leds need drivers (a circuit board that supply's correct current and voltage), in vast majority cases it fails long before leds themselves do. assuming the bulb\fixture designed with proper heatsink  and leds do not cook themselves.

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 7:34 AM, Still Waters said:

From the end of this month halogen lightbulbs are to be removed from the market across Europe, with households expected to switch to LED lights – which cost more but last far longer and use much less electricity than energy-hungry halogens.

in real world it is not always true, led retrofit bulbs in sealed fixtures fail as often as halogen bulb, 

• Thanks 1

On Sat Aug 11 2018 at 5:45 PM, stevewinn said:

You won't notice any difference as long as you are looking for them. No day to day activities get affected by switching to LEDs. 

• Thanks 1

I'd have to agree. I've swtiched to LED lights for most of my house lights, and I can't tell the difference between them and the old filament/halogen bulbs. They are VERY good, and come in a range of different shades. 

• Thanks 1

on the advice of people on here i bought a pack of six, (60w) warm white, by Philips. (£11) I cant tell the difference either. so far so good with them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

on the advice of people on here i bought a pack of six, (60w) warm white, by Philips. (£11) I cant tell the difference either. so far so good with them.

What difference do you expect?

Me, experienced vast improvement in electric energy consumption reduction by changing old Westinghouse fridge to A+++ Bosch (made in Spain BTW).

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, aztek said:

in real world it is not always true, led retrofit bulbs in sealed fixtures fail as often as halogen bulb, 

True. The LED's in LED bulbs might last a theoretical long time, but the driver-circuitry is usually crap.

I've had 2 fail in just 1 year.

I need to re-think manufacturer source.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

What difference do you expect?

Me, experienced vast improvement in electric energy consumption reduction by changing old Westinghouse fridge to A+++ Bosch (made in Spain BTW).

A difference like going from the old Fluorescent energy bulbs (the ones which take time to brighten) to Halogen.

14 hours ago, stevewinn said:

A difference like going from the old Fluorescent energy bulbs (the ones which take time to brighten) to Halogen.

So? Just google "best LED lamps top" and pick one of the three best manufacturers. So far, that strategy haven't disappointed me, whether HDD, kitchen appliances, etc

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

So? Just google "best LED lamps top" and pick one of the three best manufacturers. So far, that strategy haven't disappointed me, whether HDD, kitchen appliances, etc

I've already purchased and installed Philips LED bulbs, living room, bathroom and bedroom. their working great, cant see a difference between these and the halogen they replaced. except i know their using less energy. pair this with the fact im with the company "bulb" as my energy supplier who uses 100% renewable energy generation for Electricity and 10% sources on Gas. im doing my bit for the environment. :D

by the way if anyone (in the UK) wants to switch to bulb i have a link for recommending a friend. if you switch we both receive £50.you can sign up online. no phone call or anything, just fill in the form sit back and they do the rest. easy. i switched last year from British Gas who i'd been with for over 10 years.

bulb.co.uk/refer/stevenk1004

copy this into your browser.

Edited by stevewinn

15 hours ago, stevewinn said:

60W that's a lot brighter unless you meant 60W equivalent of old bulbs, for small rooms anything between 20 30w would be sufficient. 

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I've already purchased and installed Philips LED bulbs, living room, bathroom and bedroom. their working great, cant see a difference between these and the halogen they replaced. except i know their using less energy. pair this with the fact im with the company "bulb" as my energy supplier who uses 100% renewable energy generation for Electricity and 10% sources on Gas. im doing my bit for the environment. :D

Thats the answer.

Honestly, I still have 100W lightbulbs collecting dust in closet. I'm keeping them just for, well, I don't know for what... 

• Haha 1