Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halogen light bulbs to be removed in Europe

Still Waters

5 minutes ago, kartikg said:

60W that's a lot brighter unless you meant 60W equivalent of old bulbs, for small rooms anything between 20 30w would be sufficient. 

Yes their 8W, equivalent of 60W. 806 lumen. according to the box. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I've already purchased and installed Philips LED bulbs, living room, bathroom and bedroom. their working great, cant see a difference between these and the halogen they replaced. except i know their using less energy. pair this with the fact im with the company "bulb" as my energy supplier who uses 100% renewable energy generation for Electricity and 10% sources on Gas. im doing my bit for the environment. :D

by the way if anyone (in the UK) wants to switch to bulb i have a link for recommending a friend. if you switch we both receive £50.you can sign up online. no phone call or anything, just fill in the form sit back and they do the rest. easy. i switched last year from British Gas who i'd been with for over 10 years.

bulb.co.uk/refer/stevenk1004

copy this into your browser.

:tsu:

Tip of my hat, Sir.

• Thanks 1

Same story here - I've now migrated all my lighting to LED, and the difference in total power consumption is *very* significant even though I've always been a switch em off if not in use type.  Admittedly my stove and hot water are both gas..  I don't see the problem with moving to much better technology, and the sooner those horrid fluorescent spiral things are gone, the better.

A coupla comments:

- the quality of LED globes in terms of their claimed light equivalence (in watts or lumens) varies widely - I've found some well known brands to be very 'optimistic' in their claims, and the difference between Daylight/Cool and Warm light temperatures also varies significantly.  I've never been a huge fan of Phillips products generally, but I've found their LED globes, especially the latest generation, are excellent.  I love the cool and clean light of their Daylight/Cool range, and they have the strongest output per watt of any of the ones I can find.

- even though I have a partial colorblindness issue (or perhaps *because* of that), I really like having everything  including TV's, device screens, and even my cars headlamps, set to Cool tones eg 6000K.  Makes color balancing/assessing much easier, and I have grown to dislike the yellowish light of tungsten...  Sure, your eyes adjust, but I like to stick to just one baseline color temperature.

- some of the cheaper brands are NOT as reliable as they should be - keep your receipts for 12 months at least, especially if you buy several!

- some led globes are bigger than the normal old glass ones and may not fit into small light fittings.  Annoying.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

[...]

- some led globes are bigger than the normal old glass ones and may not fit into small light fittings.  Annoying.

Yeap. Furthermore, I'd say ANNOYING.