Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airline employee steals and crashes plane

Still Waters

An airline employee who stole an empty passenger plane from Seattle airport has crashed on a nearby island.

Authorities said the man had made "an unauthorised take-off" late on Friday local time, forcing Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to close.

Two F15 fighter jets pursued the plane, which crashed in Puget Sound. The man is not believed to have survived.

The local sheriff's office said it was "not a terrorist incident", adding that the man was local and aged 29.

Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor later told reporters it appeared to be "a joyride gone terribly wrong", according to ABC7 News, adding "most terrorists don't do loops over the water".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45153535

https://abc7news.com/stolen-plane-crashes-after-unauthorized-takeoff-at-seattle-airport-source/3928151/

• Like 2

Listening to the full audio, he was drifting in & out of lucidity.

Going only by that, I suspect it was drug-related.

• Thanks 1

He looked like he tried to have fun before he killed himself.  

Wow...it really looks like they check out those people who work on the planes. 

I was listening to this guy flying over my house and heard the military jets break the sound barrier. I live pretty close to SeaTac. SUPER sad story. Local interviews with his family and friend say they had no idea he was in trouble mentally. A couple friends of mine who fly several times a week believe he was probably a "tug" driver. a Dash80 doesn't have "reverse" and they have to be tugged back from the gate. Their guess is that he tugged the plane back, jumped in and took off. The air traffic controllers were remarkable on the radio. 

They said he was drifting in and out because the didn't understand how to pressurize the cabin. He'd even gotten sick and vomited because of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acute said:

Listening to the full audio, he was drifting in & out of lucidity.

Going only by that, I suspect it was drug-related.

No but the conversation with the controller it seemed he was depressed and the way "Rich" talked looked like ot was a suicide

3 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

No but the conversation with the controller it seemed he was depressed and the way "Rich" talked looked like ot was a suicide

Did you hear the way he peaked & troughed?

Are you or did you somehow magically just become a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

4 hours ago, acute said:

Did you hear the way he peaked & troughed?

Are you just somehow magically become a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

Edited by AMP1974

4 minutes ago, AMP1974 said:

Are you just somehow magically become a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

What are you on about? You do not have to be a psychiatrist to hear the guy was not the full shilling,  .his mental state was not right from the start and he certainly was not thinking right at the end:

8 hours ago, MissMelsWell said:

They said he was drifting in and out because he didn't understand how to pressurize the cabin. He'd even gotten sick and vomited because of it. 

12 hours ago, Myles said:

He looked like he tried to have fun before he killed himself.  

At least this was one nut who did NOT try to take anyone down with him. 

Good for him.

What I am wanting to know is the last thing we will ever be told; what kind of Meds was he on?

• Like 2

Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor later told reporters it appeared to be "a joyride gone terribly wrong", according to ABC7 News, adding "most terrorists don't do loops over the water".

Man, why can’t we fight the fun terrorists for a change? The fun terrorists are doing barrel rolls and loops

20 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

At least this was one nut who did NOT try to take anyone down with him. 

Good for him.

What I am wanting to know is the last thing we will ever be told; what kind of Meds was he on?

I’m going to guess we can rule out Tylenol Extra Strength...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMP1974 said:

Are you or did you somehow magically just become a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

do you know him personalty?

1 hour ago, AMP1974 said:

how do you know he isn't a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

were you born in 1974?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Exactly what I was thinking before I read your post.

• Like 1

Update:

Stolen Seattle plane: Black box and human remains found after Richard Russell crashed aircraft

https://news.sky.com/story/stolen-seattle-plane-black-box-and-human-remains-found-after-richard-russell-crashed-aircraft-11471549

On 8/11/2018 at 10:02 PM, aztek said:

do you know him personalty?

how do you know he isn't a physician or psychiatrist or related professions?

were you born in 1974?

For starts, he is now passed. It'd be proper to ask if I "DID" know him personally. And did YOU? And the year of my birth is I am sure the last thing on his mind as he pulled off this stunt.

8 hours ago, AMP1974 said:

For starts, he is now passed. It'd be proper to ask if I "DID" know him personally. And did YOU? And the year of my birth is I am sure the last thing on his mind as he pulled off this stunt.

Wow! YOU are giving grammar lessons?

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Wow! YOU are giving grammar lessons?

Nope! Common sense lessons. I don't refer to the deceased as though they were still living..unless you know something I don't. You DO know him, right? Is that not what this is originally all about? Do you or not? Quick side-stepping it and answer the question. 

8 minutes ago, AMP1974 said:

Nope! Common sense lessons. I don't refer to the deceased as though they were still living..unless you know something I don't. You DO know him, right? Is that not what this is originally all about? Do you or not? Quick side-stepping it and answer the question. 

Go back and try reading the thread again. Hopefully,  You'll comprehend that my first post was about the irony of you trying to correct someone's grammar.

Yes. I know. You Harvard professor, you.

• Haha 1