Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

The myth and legend of the extinct Megalodon

26 posts in this topic

Erno86
Posted (edited)

The megalodon was not only a scavenger, but a predator as well; especially by them preying on baby whales. Calvert Ciiffs,  Maryland was one of those baby whale breeding whale breeding grounds during the Miocene Epoch, about 10 to 17 million years ago. Located on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay...which used to be the Atlantic Ocean shoreline. It features cliffs up to 200 feet high. Calvert Cliffs State Park, is a wonderful place to search for Miocene fossils, especially for sharks teeth, whale bones, crocodile teeth (that grew up to 50 feet in length) and ancient shell fossils.

I was fortunate enough to find a couple of megalodon teeth (some years back), on the shoreline at Calvert Cliffs (approx. 3  inches long, 2 1/2" high by 3/4" wide). They sported serrated edges on the teeth. They rarely appear on the shoreline after a storm...but they quickly bury themselves into the sand again, because of the sharp edges of the teeth. It has been noted that the megalodons also battled the 50 foot long crocodiles for turf and food rights.

I donated all of my Miocene fossil collection, that I found at Calvert Cliffs, to the Maryland Aquarium; located at the Inner Harbor, Baltimore City, Maryland.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/fossils/miocene_shark_teeth_fs.html

Edited by Erno86
added a word