Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Second Sphinx possibly discovered in Egypt

UM-Bot

The article doesn't mention the estimated size of this new Sphinx.

"Statue" doesn't sound much like a monument.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing what has been covered up over time, and would be amazing if there is a second sphinx, could there be others? But that is some excavation task if they do decide to extract it. 

"With the body of a lion and the head of a human"

What are the people who claim the head of the Sphinx was originally something other than human going to say, now? On second thought, it probably won't matter, will it?

• Like 2

How can there not be one picture considering just about everyone on the planet has a phone with a camera in their pocket? I know, I know, not everyone does....it's just frustrating.  Can one of you guys move a satellite or something so we can see this thing? :D

• Like 5

Hmm... why does this sound suspicious ? 

They're not going to excavate the "Sphinx" because of the "environment it is in". What does that actually MEAN ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

Construction workers have unearthed what is thought to be a second Sphinx near the Valley of the Kings.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/320536/second-sphinx-possibly-discovered-in-egypt

"Second" sphinx?

There's hundreds of them.

It's worded that way because of the original story, which mentions fringe author Gerry Cannon - describing him as an "historian."

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/world/1001190/egypt-sphinx-giza-pyramids-luxor-karnak-thebes

Warning - the above story contains several howlers.

Cannon wrote a book a couple of years ago wherein he averred that there must be a second sphinx at Giza. Maybe some of you remember - it made the rounds.

He's glomming on to this one, one of hundreds of sphinxes in Egypt, for that reason.

Harte

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, seanjo said:

You understand they are referring to the actual sphynx there, not the possible new discovery?

Actually, they're referring to this small statue:

Dating back up to 4,000 years, the statue is currently still mostly buried in the ground and no photographs have emerged, however tourists are reportedly welcome to visit the site.

According to Mohamed Abel Aziz, director general of Luxor antiquities, there are no immediate plans to extract the statue from the ground "due to the nature of the environment it is in."

The sphinx at Giza is not buried in the ground. There's thousands of photos of it.

Not only that, it is a bedrock protrusion so the idea of "excavating" it is inane.

Harte

• Like 3

You're wrong.

I already showed you this.

The new statue is buried in dirt. The Giza sphinx is not buried in dirt.

There's few photos (article says NO photos) of the new sphinx.

There's thousands of photos of the Giza sphinx.

The new sphinx can be excavated. The Giza sphinx has been excavated for centuries.

Harte

Edited by Harte
Because of the wonderful things he does!
  • Like 1

So....it's a smol sphinx?

Then yeah....it's not the second one, like Harte said, if it's just a small statue then there's thousands of them in Egypt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaden said:

"With the body of a lion and the head of a human"

What are the people who claim the head of the Sphinx was originally something other than human going to say, now? On second thought, it probably won't matter, will it?

Nope. The voices in my head ate still very vehemently specific on this. The original head was a basset.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

Available images aren't very revealing:

5b70864b9ca97_sphinxburied.jpg.209f1a73191c923ec2b90b985a0de118.jpg

5b7086428ff9d_sphinxnew.jpg.5092c5f8380945f392f5827f4ccbfae5.jpg

True, personally Im not seeing a sphinx at this point but as you said photos not very telling. The article assumes the implication they found another monument like the Giza sphinx.  As said above theres plenty of smaller sphinx statues.

All finds are positive, this click bait journalism just detracts from discoverys that do get made.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

You understand they are referring to the actual sphynx there, not the possible new discovery?

Sorry, I read it in another article;

"Not very much is known about it yet, and photos are limited. According to the Director General of Antiquities at Luxor, Dr Mohamed Abdel Aziz, speaking to news site Youm, the workers found a statue of a “lion’s body with a human head”, but it cannot be lifted above ground yet “due to the nature of the environment it is in.”  "

51 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Nope. The voices in my head ate still very vehemently specific on this. The original head was a basset.

--Jaylemurph

My only question is, if Egypt was under the control of our Ancient Basset Masters, why did they have a prominent Cat Goddess?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Up to 4,000 years old..." Right. Sure. Because their track record for dating stone structures is so great. How in the hell did they come upon that arbitrary number? Also... How big is this thing? From the picture that The Wistman shared (thank you, btw), it's puny and is in no way any different to the hundreds if not thousands of other small scale sphinx that are all over Egypt. So, really, this is a rather sensationalized story over nothing. Let's move on.

The Valley of the Kings is where the SCA hid the Mafdet Lynx to prevent legitimate researchers from discovering the true purpose of the Great Pyramids.  Ramps have been debunked, all of the evidence suggests the pyramid builders were scientists who harnessed geysers to power linear funiculars.  The stones were then pulled up the four sides of a step pyramid structure one step at a time.

Of course if real science was ever conducted at Giza this would have been proven long ago.  But as long as Egyptologists would have us believe that stinky footed bumpkins dragged tombs up ramps, I fear the truth will never be made public.  Egyptologists would have us to believe they mustta used ramps.  How do I know?  Because the voices in my head told me so when I forgot to take my meds.  

Now excuse me while to go play with my Mafdet Malibu playset. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

My only question is, if Egypt was under the control of our Ancient Basset Masters, why did they have a prominent Cat Goddess?

Equilibrium :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

The Valley of the Kings is where the SCA hid the Mafdet Lynx to prevent legitimate researchers from discovering the true purpose of the Great Pyramids.  Ramps have been debunked, all of the evidence suggests the pyramid builders were scientists who harnessed geysers to power linear funiculars.  The stones were then pulled up the four sides of a step pyramid structure one step at a time.

Of course if real science was ever conducted at Giza this would have been proven long ago.  But as long as Egyptologists would have us believe that stinky footed bumpkins dragged tombs up ramps, I fear the truth will never be made public.  Egyptologists would have us to believe they mustta used ramps.  How do I know?  Because the voices in my head told me so when I forgot to take my meds.  

SIR SIR.... HARRY IS SUMMONING IT AGAIN!!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Chew Toy of the Gods.

Harte

• Haha 4

Yeah, I call BS on this. At a date of 4,000 years ago the Theban are was an unimportant backwater. It held no importance to the early state.

I did some searching and can't find any credible informaition—just scant details on highly questionable websites. And why are the few available pictures so useless?

This can be summed up as follows: nourishment for the fringe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

You're evil. Evil, I say!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Fair point! I imagine it was over-compensation after their massive failure with the Pyramids: “Well, we’ve ruined things with the dogs; might as well cleave to the felines.”

...and so they slipped into the darkness of error. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

You're evil. Evil, I say!

I say he be vitrified!

It's only logistical.

Harte

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Harte said:

I say he be vitrified!

It's only logistical.

Harte

So be it! The sentence is to be carried out immediately.

This court if adjourned.

• Haha 1