Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pence: US Space Force to be set up by 2020

UM-Bot

So more money that will be cut from actual needed services to put into the military which is massively overblown to begin with.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The US allready have a "Space Force" so I don't really get why it is a good idea to spend money on a new one ? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Space_Command

Several of the services have a command dealing with space in some way. This is going to be an entirely separate branch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Several of the services have a command dealing with space in some way. This is going to be an entirely separate branch.

Thats my point. Why waste money on duplicating something that allready exists ?

Have the DoD actually asked for this ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Thats my point. Why waste money on duplicating something that allready exists ?

Have the DoD actually asked for this ?

Presumably the idea is that space doesn't get the priority it deserves if the unit responsible for it is buried within another branch. DoD itself tends to not like big changes like this, just out of institutional conservatism. But House Armed Service committee voted to create a space force a couple months ago and the idea itself has been studied for a long time. I would expect it to absorb the space-related units of the existing services, although who knows.

Are YOU doing YOUR part ? 

Remember: Service Gaurantees Citzenship ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Remember: Service Gaurantees Citzenship ! 

See the source image

Image result for space force trump meme

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Presumably the idea is that space doesn't get the priority it deserves if the unit responsible for it is buried within another branch. DoD itself tends to not like big changes like this, just out of institutional conservatism. But House Armed Service committee voted to create a space force a couple months ago and the idea itself has been studied for a long time. I would expect it to absorb the space-related units of the existing services, although who knows.

So they are making a brand new branch of the armed forces that the military don't want, nobody knows what they are supposed to do and add to that the cost of creating a new branch for something thats being done allready by existing branches (Most notably the Air Force)... and this is a good idea ?

Sounds to me like a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So they are making a brand new branch of the armed forces that the military don't want, nobody knows what they are supposed to do and add to that the cost of creating a new branch for something thats being done allready by existing branches (Most notably the Air Force)... and this is a good idea ?

Sounds like it could be a way to possibly funnel money to somewhere else?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

No it would make sense if it's true that the space mission isn't getting the attention it deserves because the Air Force & others are focused on other missions at its expense. This is just makes a specialized branch that will probably eventually absorb and consolidate all those other commands. Organizations do things like this all the time, this is just on a much bigger scale.

Edited by The Caspian Hare
spelling
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, here on earth, the US is still extremely vulnerable to hacking. Maybe spend some military money on an actual military problem?

• Thanks 1

Trump has plans on conquering the moon and many other places where alien b******* are getting in. He's gonna build a wall to stop the asteroids and charge them for it!

Maybe maybe in 1000s of years when aliens attack and space forces defend earth, trump will be hailed as a visionary. It's a possibility. 

• Haha 1

In 1967 was signed The Outer Space Treaty that banned weapons in space. The U.S. Space Force will be part of the military. Where does this lead? Another competition to see how many nations can orbit nuclear weapons?

• Like 2

Near as I can tell: no one knows what it is, what it will be doing, how much it will cost, who's going to run it or why we actually need it. But it's in SPACE so we need to get EXCITED! Is that right?

• Like 2

If they make it a separate branch of the armed forces we are never gonna get Space Marines.:(

Macross saga...

4 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Meanwhile, here on earth, the US is still extremely vulnerable to hacking. Maybe spend some military money on an actual military problem?

So you don't think that the fact that Russia and China have the ability to destroy US communications, navigations and reconnaissance satellites is an ACTUAL military problem?

2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

In 1967 was signed The Outer Space Treaty that banned weapons in space. The U.S. Space Force will be part of the military. Where does this lead? Another competition to see how many nations can orbit nuclear weapons?

The Outer Space Treaty does not ban weapons in space. It only bans the deployment of weapons of mass destruction in space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What about fixing Detroit or the gun violence of Chicago? Or how about helping New Orleans, Puerto Rico? I feel the USA has bigger domestic issues then playing Star Wars...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a serious issue. U.S. space satellites are vulnerable to attack.

In his consultation with the President and the National Security Council, vice-President Pence is absolutely correct.

We need this defensive capability.

True, there are classified non-satellite communication abilities, but our satellites are important nonetheless, and they must be protected.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pallidin said:

We need this defensive capability.

I dont think thats really being debated. The question is do we need an entirely new branch of armed forces to do so. 

We talk about so much serious stuff on here this I just cant help but have some fun with this one 

DkSAJbhU0AEQv65.jpg

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I dont think thats really being debated. The question is do we need an entirely new branch of armed forces to do so. 

We talk about so much serious stuff on here this I just cant help but have some fun with this one 

DkSAJbhU0AEQv65.jpg

Oh, so we just do nothing as other countries develop and deploy specific anti-satellite technologies?

Think again.

A United States "Space Force" is very much needed to address this very real threat with all it's complexities.

Don't like it? Too bad.

Edited by pallidin

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

Oh, so we just do nothing as other countries develop and deploy specific anti-satellite technologies?

Think again.

A United States "Space Force" is very much needed to address this very real threat with all it's complexities.

Don't like it? Too bad.

As I pointed out in post#3 such a force allready exist.