Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orca mother abandons dead calf after 17 days

Still Waters

Researchers say an endangered killer whale that carried her dead calf on her head for more than two weeks has finally abandoned the calf’s body and is back to feeding and frolicking with her pod.

The Center for Whale Research in Washington state says it watched the orca, known as J35, chase a school of salmon in Haro Strait west of San Juan Island, between the US mainland and Vancouver Island, on Saturday afternoon.

J35’s calf died soon after birth on 24 July. The mother carried the baby on her head for at least 17 days, in an image of grief that struck an emotional chord worldwide.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/13/orca-mother-finally-abandons-dead-calf-she-carried-for-more-than-two-weeks

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It's amazing to see how these creatures have a genuine code of compassion and caring that just comes naturally to them.

• Like 6

Oh my heart!

Orcas are extremely intelligent and may be even more emotionally developed than humans.

I dread to think what this poor mother must have been going through.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is heartbreaking, the human race could learn much from Nature, Elephants and there family and group bonds intrigue me...

• Like 3

That's heartbreaking.

I remember reading about an elephant that waited and attacked a train that had killed her baby. 

• Sad 4