Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

30 dead in Italian bridge collapse

The Caspian Hare

http://www.france24.com/en/20180814-italy-motorway-bridge-collapses-over-genoa-many-feared-dead

A section of a massive motorway bridge collapsed in the Italian city of Genoa Tuesday sending vehicles plunging into a heap of rubble below and killing around 30 people, according to a senior Italian official.

The bridge on a main highway linking Italy with France collapsed in a violent storm around noon local time in what Italy’s transport minister called an “immense tragedy”.

Around 30 people were killed and many others seriously wounded, according to Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini.

• Sad 5

Disaster.

• Like 2

Just saw the increase in the death toll. Lack of good maintenance is being blamed according to our news broadcast. Just horrific. I feel so bad for the families.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/deaths-39-italian-bridge-collapse-amid-fear-span/story?id=57189865

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was actually reading an article about this today.  It appears the mafia is responsible for this disaster.  In fact it appears there are several constructions built with weakened cement that mafia linked Contractors have used in the past decade or so.  link

I wont be touring Italy any time soon.

• Like 1

it was on the news yesterday that at a council meeting councillors deciding to knock back the budget for the maintenance of the bridge, one expert or civil engineer stood up and said to those sitting in the room without the proper funding the bridge would collapse within 10 years and let it be recorded those names who voted down the budget as they'll have blood on their hands. :( how right that person was.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I was actually reading an article about this today.  It appears the mafia is responsible for this disaster.  In fact it appears there are several constructions built with weakened cement that mafia linked Contractors have used in the past decade or so.  link

That "story" is all speculation and hypothesis, BRD. Nobody knows whether or not there was Mafia involvement (though it seems probable). 

• Like 2

The departments within the the Italian government are generally unfunded. Just because Italy generates alot of money, it does not how to spend it

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

it was on the news yesterday that at a council meeting councillors deciding to knock back the budget for the maintenance of the bridge, one expert or civil engineer stood up and said to those sitting in the room without the proper funding the bridge would collapse within 10 years and let it be recorded those names who voted down the budget as they'll have blood on their hands. :( how right that person was.

The guy that voted maintenance down should attend the funerals of all the victims.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 9:18 AM, Black Red Devil said:

...wouldn’t be surprised if organised crime used inferior cement or steel in the bridge construction. me I think the bridge design with those skinny pylons set at odd angles would make me think twice about driving over that bridge. 

• Like 1