Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida's 'Stand-Your-Ground' PART 2

ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6060803/Florida-man-charged-stand-ground-case-makes-court-appearance.html

I found this article interesting because it gives us more details of Drejka's actions in the months/years before he fatally shot McGlockton.

Fellow UMers: Please be civil to each other. Let's not have this thread closed like the last one. Thank you.

edited to include this link:   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6056167/Florida-man-charged-stand-ground-shooting.html  which announced Drejka being charged with manslaughter.

edited again to include the original thread(now closed):

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 3

Hmmm..... How did I know that this gun nut had been the aggressor in previous incidents? It doesn't take a genius, TBH.

From the video, it appears that McGlockton took six steps away from Drejka before he was shot.

Yes, stand your ground (if that's the law) but don't shoot someone who is no longer a threat.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, acute said:

From the video, it appears that McGlockton took six steps away from Drejka before he was shot.

Two steps, maybe two and a half if you want to be acutely technical. Anyway the Law places the burden of Proof all upon the State Attorney and says nothing about prior Traffic incidents or anything thing else from past behavior. At best those past events could have been cause to revoke Drejka's Concealed Carry Permit, but that did not happen then and I don't see how any of that can be relevant in this specific Case involving McGlockton and Drejka. 

I suspect the State Attorney is like most Elected Officials and is bringing charges against Drejka knowing he will lose the Case but can say he tried when it's time to re-fun for Office.

Edited by lost_shaman
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

Two steps, maybe two and a half if you want to be acutely technical. Anyway the Law places the burden of Proof all upon the State Attorney and says nothing about prior Traffic incidents or anything thing else from past behavior. At best those past events could have been cause to revoke Drejka's Concealed Carry Permit, but that did not happen then and I don't see how any of that can be relevant in this specific Case involving McGlockton and Drejka. 

I suspect the State Attorney is like most Elected Officials and is bringing charges against Drejka knowing he will lose the Case but can say he tried when it's time to re-fun for Office.

Drejka's history is of interest to the posters participating in the other thread, I believe.

28 minutes ago, aztek said:

why resurrect thread that was locked for a good reason???

Because there have been developments since the thread was closed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see how this case progresses and what the conclusion is.

• Like 2

Florida should have a "Knocked to the ground law". If someone knocks you to the ground, you can lawfully shoot to kill.

Just now, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Florida should have a "Knocked to the ground law". If someone knocks you to the ground, you can lawfully shoot to kill.

you can  it's called self defense this will be no different than GZ trial.. jury doe snot bent to media pressure, even if DA did

Edited by aztek

Just now, ouija ouija said:

Because there have been developments since the thread was closed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see how this case progresses and what the conclusion is.

i can tell you already how it will end, same way GZ trial went.

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

you can it's called self defense this will be no different than GZ trial.. jury does not bend to media pressure, even if DA did

Two against one. The female came after him just as the male was coming after him. ;)

Just now, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Two against one. The female came after him just as the male was coming after him. ;)

that is another way to look at it. i do not think anyone actually even mentioned that detail, good catch.  there is another tool at jury disposal, jury nullification, they can still find him not guilty even if law says he is.

Just now, aztek said:

that is another way to look at it. i do not think anyone actually even mentioned that detail, good catch. 

Notice he kept a distance from the vehicle before the bf&gf advanced on him.

I would tell the jury that the bf gave no care in the world if the older man had a medical condition where being body checked to the ground would be potentially fatal, or not. Then I would tell the jury that the real crime is that the bf&gf reproduced. 

All not guilty verdict would follow.

Just now, aztek said:

there is another tool at jury disposal, jury nullification, they can still find him not guilty even if law says he is.

Indeed.

i have absolutely no doubt there are a lot more people who want this law to stand (syg), than those who want it repelled

Edited by aztek

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

i have absolutely no doubt there are a lot more people who want this law to stand (syg), than those who want it repelled

He'll yeah! I want to shoot people that look at me funny, and have the cops tell me to have a nice day.

The following article takes a day by day look at the events from the day of the incident up to the arrest. It also links to a number of interesting supporting articles, including a couple that examine the rationale behind the arrest, as well as the Florid Legislature's reasons for rejecting a call for a special session on stand your ground.

27 Days: The Markeis McGlockton case, from shooting to stand your ground furor to shooter’s arrest
https://www.tampabay.com/data/2018/08/14/27-days-the-markeis-mcglockton-case-from-shooting-to-arrest/

• Thanks 2

So much for 'it must be within the law because the sheriff said so'. 

Hope this murderer gets what's coming to him. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, aztek said:

1 punch can kill

Wake Forest coach Jamill Jones charged in Queens punch that killed Florida tourist

he had every reason to be afraid for his life and use deadly force

Except the shove had already happened and he hopefully realised he was not dead. 

One punch can be fatal. Walking backwards rarely is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, acute said:

Hmmm..... How did I know that this gun nut had been the aggressor in previous incidents? It doesn't take a genius, TBH.

A few people who regularly shop at the store said Drejka frequents that area and has harassed patrons many times. He sounds like someone who needs meds but hasn't gotten them yet

• Like 1

yea he did haras those who park in blue zone with no permit, but nothing like this ever happened cuz people just ignored him, and did not attack him. this actually will help him more than hurt during trial

Edited by aztek

1 minute ago, aztek said:

yea he did haras those who park in blue zone with no permit, but nothing like this ever happened cuz people just ignored him, and did not attack him. this actually will help him more than hurt during trial

Right. Having a history of harassment is a lot different than a history of violence.

Just now, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Only problem is he wasn't punched lol . 

yea, he just tripped and fell all by him self.

Edited by aztek

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea, he just tripped and fell all by him self.

Never said that either. You're the only person in the world who can't distinguish between a push and and punch. It was a pretty solid push mind you , but not the same as being punched in the face.

Just now, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Never said that either. You're the only person in the world who can't distinguish between a push and and punch. It was a pretty solid push mind you , but not the same as being punched in the face.

it absolutely make 0 difference.

There's a whole lot wrong with this whole thing, but it seems to me that standing your ground is different than shooting someone to death who is already backing away from you. 

• Like 2

• The topic was locked