Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida's 'Stand-Your-Ground' PART 2

ouija ouija

Just now, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Yeah because if Drejka was black they would've immediately indicted him lol.

may be but we would not hear a peep about it. it would not be in news. pretty clear it is not about laws, or justice, it is only about race.

2 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

If he had turned around to retreat, removing himself as a threat to the Man whom he just violently assaulted, his back would not have been near the car would it?

So you're saying he should have just ran away? It appears that the goal of pushing him was to get him AWAY from the car/his family. What husband or father would just take off running with his family in potential danger ? Wow I hope you don't have any kids lol

Turning around is the best option, however doesn't look like Drejka gave him a chance to. Plus his back was against the car , you know the car that had his children in it.

pretty stupid to start a fight next to a car with kids, your kids, in a state where almost everyone carries, and has SYG laws,  well he won dawin award.

Like I said, I think the State Attorney Bernie McCabe a Republican is just bending to pressure even though he doesn't have a chance to win this case. He will be up for re-election in 2020 which is less than a year and a haof away and if he didn't charge Drejka you can bet that this time he will have a democratic challenger, when in 2016 he had no challenger in the elections.

33 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

From the other thread it's apparent McGlockton's fault was backing down, apparently the only way to solve problems is to fight to the death.

The best way to "solve" this problem would have been for McGlockton not to commit assault in the first place.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

So you're saying he should have just ran away?

Yes, that would have removed himself as a threat to the Man whom he just violently assaulted.

6 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

It appears that the goal of pushing him was to get him AWAY from the car/his family. What husband or father would just take off running with his family in potential danger ? Wow I hope you don't have any kids lol

So you think it would be best if someone pulls a gun to defend themselves against you, you would stand in front of your car with your kids in it knowing the Man was about to shoot at you? That doesn't make sense because if they miss or empty the clip on you then you've put your children in the line of fire!

I was hoping we could leave all the stuff that was in the original thread right there ....... in the original thread. :hmm: We don't need to go on endlessly arguing the same points, do we? Everyone in the original thread established their take on things. No one's going to change anyone's mind at this stage.

In this thread can we just stick to what happens from here on? From when Drejka was arrested. I put the link to the original thread in the OP precisely so there would be no need to keep on and on and on repeating what was in there ..... jeez! aren't you all bored with it? 

I believe this actually falls under the stand your ground law, because the man was half the age and bigger than him and shoved him to the ground. He doesn't appear to have been retreating after he shoved him to the ground but approaches more and could have caused serious bodily harm to the man. It's pretty clear that is why this law exists. 

i bet if he just asked wtf is going on, and talk to the guy before he'd be alive, but he came out and shoved him to the ground without saying a word, drejka had no clue who he was and why he shoved him, so he had every right to expect farther assault.

• Like 1

Just now, lost_shaman said:

Wow I hope you don't have any kids lol

Two adult daughters and a Granddaughter. And if someone pulled a gun on me while my family was behind me heck yeah I'd run to simply get them out of the line of fire if the person decides to pull the trigger at me at least my family would not be in the line of fire.

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

may be but we would not hear a peep about it. it would not be in news. pretty clear it is not about laws, or justice, it is only about race.

Actually no the main reason why it made national news was because of its controversial nature in regards to  the "stand your ground" law. If it were a regular homicide / manslaughter conviction it most likely would only have made it to the local news. It's because the police let him walk free. Frankly, Drejka was the one who brought in a "racially motivated" element when he called a previous customer a "n-word" and said he would shoot him for parking in the handicapped space. That fact certainly doesn't help him if he's claiming not to be racist. You are ignoring alot of facts about this case .

• Like 1

Actually no the main reason why it made national news was because of its controversial nature in regards to  the "stand your ground" law. If it were a regular homicide / manslaughter conviction it most likely would only have made it to the local news. It's because the police let him walk free. Frankly, Drejka was the one who brought in a "racially motivated" element when he called a previous customer a "n-word" and said he would shoot him for parking in the handicapped space. That fact certainly doesn't help him if he's claiming not to be racist. You are ignoring alot of facts about this case .

maybe but it did not end with deaths or fight, the other black guy was a lot smarter to ignore the idiot., in any case it has no relevance on this event. it can actually help him during trial

13 minutes ago, Bama13 said:

The best way to "solve" this problem would have been for McGlockton not to commit assault in the first place.

Perhaps, however a "shove" should never get you a bullet in the chest in front of your kids. He should have been charged with assault not killed .

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

rankly, Drejka was the one who brought in a "racially motivated" element when he called a previous customer a "n-word" and said he would shoot him for parking in the handicapped space. That fact certainly doesn't help him if he's claiming not to be racist. You are ignoring alot of facts about this case .

Previous acts are not admissible in a court case, only the facts pertaining to this specific incident will be heard at a trial.

13 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

Two adult daughters and a Granddaughter. And if someone pulled a gun on me while my family was behind me heck yeah I'd run to simply get them out of the line of fire if the person decides to pull the trigger at me at least my family would not be in the line of fire.

Yeah I'm sure your "cat-like" reflexes would have permitted you to react in such a short amount of time lol. Okay let's hope you're never in that situation buddy.

Just now, lost_shaman said:

Previous acts are not admissible in a court case, only the facts pertaining to this specific incident will be heard at a trial.

you are right, not admissible for either, otherwise it would be even better for drejka, the other guy had DV arrest iirc.

7 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

That doesn't mean WE should ignore that fact, and I was explaining to Mr. Aztek why the public is claiming it was racially motivated. Honestly, it's unfortunate that there's no audio, I would love to hear what Drejka was saying to the wife.

18 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Perhaps, however a "shove" should never get you a bullet in the chest in front of your kids. He should have been charged with assault not killed .

No shove, no bullet, no problem. 

Fights are like wars, you can start one whenever you want, but remember that it may not end how and when you want.

• Like 1

From the article in the OP

Three months before the fatal July incident, Drejka allegedly threatened to shoot Richard Kelly, a black septic truck driver, and hurled racial slurs at him when the driver parked in the same handicapped-accessible parking space as McGlockton, reported CNN.

Kelly drove away, but his boss told Moffett that Drejka later called, telling him 'that he was lucky he didn’t blow his employee’s head off.'

Moffet also said that in 2012, drivers involved in two separate road-rage confrontations with Drejka said he pointed a gun at them. 

Moffet said that in one of the cases, 18-year-old Tyler Smith was driving in front of Drejka's truck when he stopped at a yellow light, which allegedly enraged Drejka and prompted him to display a black gun at the teenager, and later follow him. Smith declined to press charges. 

November 2013, Drejka was again interviewed by police in connection to a road-rage incident, in which he was accused of deliberately causing another vehicle carrying two children to rear-end his truck. 

Drejka claimed he missed a turn, but the trooper who responded to the scene wrote in his report that based on the evidence, it did not appear like the motorist had attempted to turn before the crash, and Drejka was cited for stopping or sudden decrease in speed without signaling. 

Just in case people missed this. 

Also another incident where he allegedly brandished a gun at a woman for driving too slow in a school zone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I just watched the video AGAIN, and McGlockton is retreating after Drejka pulled the gun. The other videos were too poor of quality or something. I guess Drejka should probably have just held the gun and made him retreat completely. This probably is a case of manslaughter, but I hope he'd get the minimum of 9.25 years.

• Like 1

i hope he gets off, cuz this is not about him, or race, this is bigger, when such law in place people  think twice before assaulting anyone. and those who do not do it the last time, in any combination of races, genders i would be on the side of a guy who was assaulted first. i do not like drejka, he is an idiot, same for zimmerman, but this is about millions of other people, and it gives them more confidence when walking on the street, they have real power to protect themselves.

Edited by aztek

2 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Calling it a "shove" is down playing it, it was a violent assault and as such considering Mcglockton then also advanced on Drejka, Drejka felt in fear for his life or further bodily harm justifying self defence.  And again the Law is clear, the burden of proof rests solely on the State Attorney to prove Drejka did not fear further bodily harm or was in fear for his life.

25 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Yeah I'm sure your "cat-like" reflexes would have permitted you to react in such a short amount of time lol. Okay let's hope you're never in that situation buddy.

If I had the time to take to steps I would have taken them turning my back and in the opposite direction of the car my children were in.

21 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

That doesn't mean WE should ignore that fact, and I was explaining to Mr. Aztek why the public is claiming it was racially motivated. Honestly, it's unfortunate that there's no audio, I would love to hear what Drejka was saying to the wife.

There was the looky loo busy body in the blue shirt and shorts that overheard the conversation and the Sheriff said he had witness statements that we are not privy to and he still decided not to arrest Drejka. Also "our" collective opinions won't matter in the trial.

14 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Just in case people missed this. 

Also another incident where he allegedly brandished a gun at a woman for driving too slow in a school zone.

Again, prior incidents will not be admissible in court involving this specific Case. 

• The topic was locked