Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Russian satellite 'could be a weapon'

UM-Bot

Space Force!

Apparently, they already thought of it. 

• Thanks 1

Oh no, He is about to bombard us with nuclear weapons from space, just like the Chinese in 2001 A Space Odyssey, and I bet the aliens haven't even beamed Dave Bowman back through the Stargate to blow it up in orbit and save us! Where's Mike Pence's Space Force? They'll save us.

Or alternatively, this might be just more Russkiephobic scaremongering from an institution, the US State Department, that is one of the most lying organisations in history. 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Oh no, He is about to bombard us with nuclear weapons from space, just like the Chinese in 2001 A Space Odyssey, and I bet Dave Bowman isn't even ready yet to blow it up in orbit and save us! Where's Mike Pence's Space Force? They'll save u.

Or alternatively, this might by just more Russkiephobic scaremongering from an institutionn, the US State Department, that is one of the most lying organsiations in history. 

Oh come on...

where do you think Trump got the idea for the Space Force?

You think that kinda brilliance just exudes from him?

• Like 1

It would be naive to think that the US has nothing in orbit that would match the Russian object.

Classified Shuttle Missions: Secrets in Space

The space shuttle was NASA's primary option for transporting astronauts to Earth orbit between 1981 and 2011. The five shuttles that went into space flew 135 missions. Crews deployed satellites, conducted experiments and studied the Earth. A handful of the missions were classified, and little is known about these secret missions, even 30 years after the fact.

link

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlitterRose said:

Space Force!

Apparently, they already thought of it. 

The biggest nations have been considering and working toward capturing the highest ground since forever.  Trump just enjoys laying markers.

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Or alternatively, this might be just more Russkiephobic scaremongering from an institution, the US State Department, that is one of the most lying organisations in history

It might.  It might not.  From what I understand, the Norks have a satellite that passes over the U.S. on a polar orbit, daily.  I doubt that they had the ability to miniaturize their crude nukes when they placed the little darling in orbit but China, Russia, India, France, Israel... all have the capability to do so.  I think the U.S. needs to attempt to rebuild a relationship with Russia for the sake of the planet.  Demonizing Putin and Russia is easy to do because the majority of people here who even ever think about Russia still do not trust them.  They do the same thing on a much larger scale there.  I've seen it in at firsthand.  And FTR, Putin is the first leader of a nuclear power that has openly called for tactical use, even first use, of nukes to "protect" Russia.  He never bothered to define what that meant so we have a range from stopping an invasion to possibly defending some prize in the M.E.   They are modernizing their nukes and creating low-yield niches that imply use in battle space-specific situations so that the enemy, presumably the U.S., could be struck on a "limited" scale, be defeated, and have only the choice of escalating to a world-ending confrontation.  I know that the little guy is your pet project and go-to for spleen venting but with facts like those, I think he at least deserves to be watched for his ambitions.

Well, the Russians are not the only ones launching secret mysterious military craft into space. The Americans do it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

9 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

If it's Russian it's probably just drunk.

When I was in Yaroslavl, a few years back, I went into a liquor store for a bottle of wine and was overwhelmed with the numbers and varieties of Vodka.  It took up 3/4 of the store.  Even their cola drinks had small amounts of alcohol in it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Well, the Russians are not the only ones launching secret mysterious military craft into space. The Americans do it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

Am I the only one who's thinking...thank goodness?

Lucky thing we were.

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Am I the only one who's thinking...thank goodness?

Lucky thing we were.

I don't know what "we've" been doing with that handy dandy little platform but I sure hope it has something to do with crippling a potential enemy's battlespace awareness.  Satellites have become critical infrastructure for the warfare of the 21st century.  Take enough or the "right" ones out and the enemy is blind to movements and even better, to intentions...

• Like 1

Thats funny timing, just last week i noticed a number of people promoting the conspiracy theory that some of these fires starting are caused by a new russian satellite using lasers to ignite them, hence some of the odd new characteristics. Just a rumor that is floating around... but a timely coincidence.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seanjo said:

2010 surely.

Yup.  2010: The Year we Make Contact is the film being referred to here, I think.  It was the surprisingly good (imo) follow up to 2001: A Space Odyssey, although it's a film of a completely different style to Kubrick's artistic masterpiece...

Getting back to the topic - I note that this is a remarkable, gosh almost unbelievable coincidence, given the 'Space-Force' being regarded with derision and needing a bit of a boost... and also that gee whiz, those unusual and completely unspecified behaviours sure are ... er ... non-existent?

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Yup.  2010: The Year we Make Contact is the film being referred to here, I think.  It was the surprisingly good (imo) follow up to 2001: A Space Odyssey, although it's a film of a completely different style to Kubrick's artistic masterpiece...

Getting back to the topic - I note that this is a remarkable, gosh almost unbelievable coincidence, given the 'Space-Force' being regarded with derision and needing a bit of a boost... and also that gee whiz, those unusual and completely unspecified behaviours sure are ... er ... non-existent?

Come now, ChrLzs, surely you're not calling this...dare I say it?  FAKE NEWS :w00t:   Seriously though, I would like to hear a description of this unprecedented behavior of the satellite.  But I'd a LOT rather know what our little Boeing X-37 has been up to.  It isn't impossible that we've stationed a weapons platform in orbit but I doubt it.  I think it might be more of a defensive weapon to use against satellites that we suspect are actually hunter-killer types.  

Egad, history repeats itself as the Sputnik crisis yet again emerges as an idiotic race for perceived dominance. We teeter on a belief system rooted in fear of our neighbors rather than on real challenges that affect all of us, such as climate change.

As I suspected a couple of weeks ago when the "Space Force" was announced, every launch from a foreign country will now be represented by western media as "suspicious". I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just saying.

• Like 1

Maybe the Chinese built it for them.  The Chinese space station worked well.

Thing is, there's *huge* number of amateur and professional astronomers out there who delight in watching and carefully tracking satellites, old and new.  If it is maneuvering (ie changing orbit) then people will see it and report it.  You can't hide a satellite - when it is illuminated (ie not in Earth's shadow), from any part of the ground below that is *not* sunlit, it will be clearly seen and tracked.  Now, I admit I haven't checked the astronomy forums to see what the sat is *actually* doing, but it does seem odd that the gubmint would make such a non-specific claim about 'strange' behaviour.

It's not at all odd if they just made the claims up and want to play up how important a SpaceForce might be...

2014 "Russia now has an ‘inspector satellite’ that could chase down or destroy other orbiting spacecraft" https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/194442-russia-now-has-an-inspector-satellite-that-could-chase-down-or-destroy-other-orbiting-spacecraft

2007 "China's Anti-Satellite Test: Worrisome Debris Cloud Circles Earth" https://www.space.com/3415-china-anti-satellite-test-worrisome-debris-cloud-circles-earth.html

I'm sure the X-37B has cameras on it, they'll just use that to take a look and maybe even pictures of it.