Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children 'at risk of robot influence'

Still Waters

Forget peer pressure, future generations are more likely to be influenced by robots, a study suggests.

The research, conducted at the University of Plymouth, found that while adults were not swayed by robots, children were.

The fact that children tended to trust robots without question raised ethical issues as the machines became more pervasive, said researchers.

They called for the robotics community to build in safeguards for children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45183049

• Like 3

Interesting study. When I read the synopsis, I immediately assumed the children participating in the study were around 5-6 years of age, figuring they would be little more cynical and rebellious by age eight and above. But the results make sense from a social pressure perspective.

• Like 3

I've been reading a series of books, I'm on #4 now, by a tech guy named William Hertling.  He bases his plots on IT types who inadvertently create a self-aware AI.  The later books follow the consequences - good and bad - of an AI that can defend itself but also tries to coexist with humanity.  I love words and their origins and his books are a whole new vocabulary for me.  By the third volume in the series, there are war-bots and multiple categories of AI.  Humanity has been released from work of any kind and the production costs of food and goods are so low that the government actually pays people to stay home and just improve themselves.  It's the Singularity series for anyone who might be interested.

• Like 1