Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest cheese found in Egyptian tomb

Still Waters

Aging usually improves the flavor of cheese, but that's not why some very old cheese discovered in an Egyptian tomb is drawing attention. Instead, it's thought to be the most ancient solid cheese ever found, according to a study published in ACS' journal Analytical Chemistry.

The tomb of Ptahmes, mayor of Memphis in Egypt during the 13th century BC, was initially unearthed in 1885. After being lost under drifting sands, it was rediscovered in 2010, and archeologists found broken jars at the site a few years later. One jar contained a solidified whitish mass, as well as canvas fabric that might have covered the jar or been used to preserve its contents. Enrico Greco and colleagues wanted to analyze the whitish substance to determine its identity.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-world-oldest-cheese-egyptian-tomb.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't. It's unidentified :o  Who knows what it's made from. I know they found honey in tombs that was good. I'm not so sure about cheese. But then, people wanted to drink mummy juice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

I wouldn't. It's unidentified :o  Who knows what it's made from. I know they found honey in tombs that was good. I'm not so sure about cheese. But then, people wanted to drink mummy juice.

Eeereeeeeeeeuw to mummy juice

And #ponder...can we still call it cheese..?

• Like 2

At least old cheese isn't really...bad news. 

It's just odd news.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2018 at 11:49 PM, susieice said:

I prefer the spreadable type, i too will pass.

• Like 1

I find cheese that's more than two years old gets too dry for me. I think I'll also pass.

Cool discovery though! Makes me wonder just how long ago we invented cheese.

• Like 1

Perhaps the real question is:

Which wine would you recommend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Will it make good cheese curds? If it's fresh I mean.  If so, you'll need a good beer, not wine.

• Like 1