Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mountain in Wales downgraded to hill

Still Waters

A mountain in the Brecon Beacons has been downgraded to a hill after it missed a mark by just 4.9ft (1.5m).

Fan y Big has been taken off the Hewitts list, which records mountains in England, Wales or Ireland over 2,000ft (609.6m) high.

It is over 2,000ft tall and high enough to be classed as a mountain.

But mountains must also have a minimum drop between the summit and the col - the lowest point on a mountain ridge between two peaks - of 98.4ft (30m).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45200036

• Like 4

I can remember, about 40yrs ago, when walkers were asked to carry a bag of earth each from the base to the summit of Mt. Snowdon because it was getting worn away. Big Fan y should try that. :mellow:

• Like 3

The topic heading made me think of this:

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain is a 1995 film about a Welsh village that is offended when English cartographers tell them that their mountain is only a hill. The villagers set out to change that, by raising their hill above the required 1,000 feet to qualify for the mountain label.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Englishman_Who_Went_Up_a_Hill_But_Came_Down_a_Mountain

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, Still Waters said:

The topic heading made me think of this:

That was a good movie and is what I instantly thought of.  

• Like 1