Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

X marks the spot for David?

<bleeding_heart>

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN

THE truth is still out there - and X Files agents Mulder and Scully are on their way back to discover it.

In an exclusive interview David Duchovny, who played Fox Mulder in the cult sci-fi TV series for eight years, told us he and the show’s creator Chris Carter are planning on making a sequel to their 1998 movie.

The 44-year-old said: "It’s always been my desire to turn The X Files into a film franchise.

"We’re hoping to get together just under a year from now and make another X Files movie.

"Chris is working on the script right now with Frank Spotnitz, who was one of the writers on the show.

"Gillian Anderson who played Dana Scully hasn’t signed yet, but we’d need to have her on board.

"When I’ve talked to Chris about the film, we’ve both said we want to start filming in winter 2005 and bring it out in the summer of 2006."

David and Gillian stopped making The X Files – a show packed full of alien chasing and conspiracy solving – in 2002 in a bid to pursue other projects.

He’s gone on to star in movies including Connie And Carla, Full Frontal and House Of D, while Gillian has appeared on the West End stage in What the Night Is For and will be on BBC1 shortly in the station’s adaptation of Charles Dickens’ Bleak House

And while David doesn’t know exactly what Chris’s script for the reunion X Files film contains, he said it won’t be picking up the storyline from the show’s final episode.

"I think we’re going back to the ‘monster of the week’ type feel, where if you’re not an avid fan and don’t understand the mythology you can still come to it and get the movie," the hunky actor revealed.

"Especially because at this point I think some people would have forgotten what the mythology was or what happened in seasons two, three and four."

He added: "If the movie’s a success then it’s a way we can continue to make the show while pursuing other projects.

"We have a great launching pad for some really thrilling stories and the two main characters are still very vivid.

"And I hope to do this a couple more times before we’re too old!"

The X Files was famous for its complex mythology and outlandish conspiracy theories, which thousands of websites are dedicated to explaining.

But did David ever have trouble keeping up with the plot when the scripts landed through his letterbox?

"I don’t think I ever tried," he admits.

"I worked on a strictly need to know basis.

"Although when I wrote more on the show I did get more interested.

"The funny thing is, at first we weren’t even going to have this whole overarching mythology.

"The X Files started out as a ‘monster of the week’ kind of show without anything joining one episode to the next.

"Then Gillian got pregnant at the end of the first series and needed to take some time off.

"They had to have her abducted and Chris, to his credit, used the hardship of Gillian’s pregnancy to usher a soap opera element into the show and create this continuing mythology within it.

"Then that element took over."

Anyone who wants to catch up with The X Files can do so with the recent release of the fourth, fifth and sixth series on DVD.

The £35 multi-disc sets contain around 20 episodes each with commentaries, ‘making of’ features and deleted scenes.

But the star admits he won’t be sitting down to watch the DVDs.

David told us: "I did eight years on the X Files and then the last couple of episodes of the ninth and final series. It was a life-altering and career-altering experience.

"I have great memories of the show and when I do look back at the older stuff, from the first and second years, I’m amazed at how much I recall.

"When I watch an episode I won’t remember a scene, but I will remember the day I shot it and what I had for lunch.

"What’s interesting to me is not what’s on screen, but what was happening in my life at that point.

"Which I’m sure is the exact opposite of how fans of the show remember it – they don’t care what I had for lunch!"

But for many fans it was the chemistry between Mulder and Scully that turned the show into a worldwide hit.

Their will they-won’t they relationship kept viewers hooked – and saw the show pick up Emmy, Golden Globe and Bafta awards.

David told us: "Some people just throw sparks together on screen and me and Gillian had that.

"I think part of it was down to us as performers, but a lot of the credit has to go to how concretely drawn the characters were.

"Mulder was the more feminine and more intuitive one, whereas Scully had traditionally masculine traits.

"And the fact there was really never any physical contact until right near the very end was a great tease.

He added: "Gillian and I got on, but we weren’t friends away from the show.

"The X Files was just a job for me and by the time we got to the middle years we were leading separate lives and just coming to work and making the show.

"We still email occasionally, I think she’s living in England now.

"I do miss the environment of The X Files and the people who made it, but after the first few months of not doing the show you have to move on and get on with the rest of your life.

So what does the actor think his famous alter-ego is doing right now?

David promises: "Mulder is on an island somewhere gearing up for his return."

Source

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janiel

• Fluffybunny

• <bleeding_heart>

• Shakezulah

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the X-files so much, but they just lost me when Mulder left. The whole show was based on the two's interaction, and when she was alone, or worse yet paired with what's his face from the Terminator movies it was just unbearable.

The entire dynamic was reversed and all of a sudden Scully was crying in every episode and became the "Believer" and what's his face became what Scully used to be...

It was a bummer.

I did like the last show that wrapped things up though...they did a great job with that.

i heard about the new X-Files movie on movies.com a few days ago. im really glad they decided the to make a new one. i loved the show a lot and i was so sad when it ended. that show could have went on forever and would have never gotten old. i cant wait for the new movie tho.

I've always loved X-Files. I just regret being a bit too young to understand a lot of it. I would love to go on a crazy marathon and watch them all. Anyway, another movie is an awesome idea. It's about time tongue.gif

Sadly, that show could have gone forever. But it didn't sad.gif