Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Music of the 40`s

docyabut2

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, susieice said:

For some reason as a little kid my favorite song I used to sing to myself was 'Harbor Lights'. Then, when I was about 10, the family took a vacation from Chicago to Florida on the train. That was my greatest adventure until then. A long train ride across the country, day and night, especially in those days if you had a private room was a magical experience for a kid. 

• Like 2

Along with the great Ink Spots there were the Mills Brothers

Caravans moved into the '40s

There's an endless supply of '40s music on YouTube that would otherwise be lost or difficult to find. YouTube is a real archive of American culture. Now I can live all day in the 1940s. 

Dr. Strangelove brought me here

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:08 PM, susieice said:

Still so relevant!

They just used Somewhere Beyond the Sea for the Meg trailer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading some years ago, I think it was Artie Shaw or some big band leader, I don't remember who now, but some popular big band leader said in the late 1930s his band was making $400 a night. Three months later they were making  $4,000 a night, six months later they were making $40,000 a night and selling a million records.

The he said in the late 1940's they were back making $400 a night, the big band era was over. He said it ended as fast as it had begun.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I remember a lot of these songs, because some times my parents would sing them. My dad would also sometimes sing songs from the 1890s he heard his parents sing. My dad could remember when people like Benny Goodman, Paul Whitman and others would go to George Divine's Million Dollar Ballroom in Milwaukee.

He got to see some of these people , then WW2 came along  and even though he had a deferment working at Briggs and Stratton went in anyways, so  that ended the fun.