Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Equipment mostly used by ghost hunters

'Walt' E. Kurtz

Hi i'm just curious and would like to know what equipment is mostly used by paranormal investigators serious answers please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To give you a serious answer. EMF detector, thermal detectors, audio devices and cameras. All of which are not designed to hunt for ghost. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Hi i'm just curious and would like to know what equipment is mostly used by paranormal investigators serious answers please.

If you want to look in any way serious, you'll take nothing other than a camera and related equipment. There's no guarantee of getting a convincing image, but any other type of equipment has no hope of proving anything except the gullibility of its purchaser.

• Like 2

As a youngster I'm fimilar with the social media platforms there's these two apps called Snapchat and Tik Tok. These have face filters for videos and pictures. These are facial recognition features where they will place the filter features on the structure of the face. Believe it or not it will pick up the facials of both the dead and the living. This is a method that is cheap and is scientifically proven as well as this is highly made technology. 

So here's just a video of some guy communicating with a ghost through Snapchat. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/yVsrQXx54kE

Edited by Browng0at
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Browng0at said:

As a youngster I'm fimilar with the social media platforms there's these two apps called Snapchat and Tik Tok. These have face filters for videos and pictures. These are facial recognition features where they will place the filter features on the structure of the face. Believe it or not it will pick up the facials of both the dead and the living. This is a method that is cheap and is scientifically proven as well as this is highly made technology. 

So here's just a video of some guy communicating with a ghost through Snapchat. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/yVsrQXx54kE

As a middle aged parent of teens, I too am familiar with these apps. It picks up things that slightly resemble a face and places a filter on it. 

What exactly was scientifically proven? 

15 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

As a middle aged parent of teens, I too am familiar with these apps. It picks up things that slightly resemble a face and places a filter on it. 

What exactly was scientifically proven? 

The technology that is used to create such filters that uses facial recognition. This piece of technology in my time is highly advantaged which doesn't technically need to be scientifically proven to be able to pick up the presence of a ghost. All the proof available is there. Is I guess it's an honest mistake upon my end to use "scientifically proven" incorrectly. Never the less it's a good gadget to have for ghost hunting. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, Browng0at said:

... Believe it or not it will pick up the facials of both the dead and the living. This is a method that is cheap and is scientifically proven ...

It picks up facials of dead people, does it?  Could you explain what that means exactly, with an example, thanks.  That example should be of the 'scientifically proven variety'.

If not, would you care to explain why you made that claim?

On 8/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, Browng0at said:

The technology that is used to create such filters that uses facial recognition. This piece of technology in my time is highly advantaged which doesn't technically need to be scientifically proven to be able to pick up the presence of a ghost. All the proof available is there. Is I guess it's an honest mistake upon my end to use "scientifically proven" incorrectly. Never the less it's a good gadget to have for ghost hunting. 

So digital pareidolia?

• The title was changed to Equipment mostly used by ghost hunters
12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So digital pareidolia?

Digital pareodolia exist just look at the xbox kinect who was said to detect ghost, just make it spaz out by moving around in front of it and it finds one.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Digital pareodolia exist just look at the xbox kinect who was said to detect ghost, just make it spaz out by moving around in front of it and it finds one.

You mean your brain finds a pattern and tries to make sense of it, thus you seeing a ghost.

On 18/08/2018 at 3:55 AM, Browng0at said:

Never the less it's a good gadget to have for ghost hunting. 

Even better than a gadget to have -  would be a ghost.

None have been found with any of the gadgets.

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You mean your brain finds a pattern and tries to make sense of it, thus you seeing a ghost.

Exactly but not always then all my friends would be just pareidola

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Avalanche said:

Exactly but not always.

That's up to the believers to prove. So until they can factually prove such a thing. I'll sit back and wait. Might be a long one.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's up to the believers to prove. So until they can factually prove such a thing. I'll sit back and wait. Might be a long one.

I might be a pareidolia... who knows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think you mean "It might be pareidolia". 

No it was a bad joke we're all pareidolia :-)

• Haha 1

*Posts removed* - Let's keep comments civil and constructive please.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So let's go through it point by point, using the topics often raised...

1. Visual (light)
Seeing something (rather obviously) involves one of two things - either there is something there that is emitting or reflecting visible light that reaches your retina, OR your mind is producing some type of hallucination or other visual effect.  In the latter case, no camera or device will help!  In the first case, ie if something is actually there, our eyes can only receive visible light frequencies.  A digital or film camera has a very similar spectrum to the eye, but there are frequencies below (IR) and above (UV) that visible light spectrum.  Digital cameras tend to gather a little more of the IR and UV, but you can also buy special cameras with increased sensitivities, eg Night Vision cameras (which work at the IR end) and UV enabled cameras which detect more of the UV.  As an aside, using two cameras, one for stills and one for movies, is ideal - so bring a friend.

2. Non visual EMF (Electro Magnetic fields)
Essentially, these are the waves that are well above and well below visual light waves, ranging from very low frequency radio waves (eg Long Wave and Short Wave radio), through to Infrared, through the visible spectrum discussed above, through UV and then X-ray and Gamma ray waves at enormously high (and dangerous) frequencies...  As with visible light, we know how all that works, so you can buy detectors.  Real ones don't have little excitable extender arms like in ghostbusters, btw,,  If you think that such devices will help, fire away, but why would these netities, if they exist at all, want to use such frequencies, and how would they do it?

Magnetic fields are related to this, and again, you can get Gauss-measuring detectors.

3. Temperature
Again, this is well understood and it is easy to get thermometers, including ones that will read the heat of objects, or give a visual display (this is the same as the IR cameras (heat detectors) mentioned above.

4. Smell
Hmm.  Trickier.  There are devices, but I don't think many claim that smells are a common indication.

Before summarising, may I point out that NONE of these devices will be of any use, and will give nu useful information whatsoever, unless:

1. You know how to calibrate / use it.

2. You have shown how you have measured everyday background levels in situations like the one you are making claims about.

So... is that it?  Does anyone need further help, or are there other 'things' you believe exist and might be measurable?  If these 'things' are not measurable, then it stands to reason that they do not affect reality, so they may as well *not* exist.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Scientists use this gear all the time.  Properly calibrated, real detection equipment, that is.

So do legal authorities, forensic investigators, commercial labs, private investigators, etc, etc ad infinitum.  And yet, those folks (ie ones properly trained in their use), don't seem to encounter anything...  I wonder why that is?

(ok, no, I don't).

Edited by ChrLzs

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Haunted_room said:

EMF may be a good choice man!

The band? Who made the song unbelievable ? ;-)

• Like 1

THAT is the issue! All or most scientific equipment undergoes "Calibration"  at some times because environmental conditions are dynamic. I have NEVER observed any group claim to have documented records of calibrating their equipment (that I will borrow Xenofish's quote...None are used for ghost hunting) Implying that all of this "scientific" equipment captures????   What? Someone talking ? To whom? You? Electromagnetic equipment HAS TO BE CALIBRATED!!! Because of this nasty little thing in the sky Called the SUN! Which emits all sorts of stuff! One which can interfere with electronics (say is this equipement all ELECTRONIC?)...It is called the daily Alpha Index..If there is too much Noise or interference, the EMF Detector could be useless. I cannot see where this Scientific Equipment is used in any Methodology to form a Bonafide  Hypothesis...So if ti where reproducible...Anyone using the same method would obtain the same results!? It's all hocus pocus!