Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird Social Media Experience?

Samhain

This happened to me a while ago, and I still don’t know what this is. I only shared this experience with my friends and they always said it was somebody trolling, or trying to scare people. 

So about three years ago I got a Kik account. I was stupid for this, but none of my friends had it except for one. So I downloaded a username sharing app and put my username there. You had to add your gender too. Now I didn’t realize that I’d get a lot of older men contacting me, which I did and didn’t reply to, so now I know.

Anyway, I got one person in particular that wasn’t being inappropriate. Their username was “Pokémon Go,” and their profile picture was of some kind of boat if I remember right. They just said “hello.” I was bored so I decided to reply to them. I just said hi back, and then in a matter of seconds the person replied even though they sent the message hours ago. They didn’t ask how I was, they just jumped to asking weird things. I didn’t save any of the conversations, so I’ll describe it as best as I can.

Person: Are you a female or a male?

Me: Female

Person: Are you home alone?

(I wasn’t, but I said yes because I was curious).

Me: Yes

Person: Do you live with your parents?

Me: Yes

Person: is any one of your parents a cop?

Me:  No

Person: Go to your room and lock the door

(I didn’t of course, I just lied and said yes to see what exactly he was onto)

Me: Ok. I did that.

Person: Open your window

Me: Okay

Person: Find any sharp object

Me: Okay

Person: what object did you get?

(Thinking of the first sharp object I could think of, I lied again of course)

Me: A knife

Person: Put the sharp object to your chest.

After this person said all that, I always ended up getting creeped out and stopped replying. Even though I wasn’t alone in the house it still was strange. Whenever I didn’t reply, the person would send a lot of messages asking “are you there?” but never sounding like an actual person because, believe it or not, this person would ask the exact same thing over and over again. Months after that I got a new Kik account, and I found that “Pokémon Go” person in the message requests.

And they were asking the exact same thing as before. But this time I said I was a male, not a female to see what they would say. They didn’t reply when they read the message. As many messages as I would send, it would just say read. So I said “I’m a female actually,” and then they started replying again. Whenever I answered no to any of the questions (like if one of my parents are cops, if I’m home alone, etc.) the person would stop replying but would keep reading my messages.

This was about 2-3 years ago, and this person has never requested to message me after that (even though I don’t use Kik anymore). 

I still feel a little creeped out with the things rent was saying, and my friends would say they were just trolling. But I don’t know. I tried looking up on Google what happened, and nothing came up. Nothing at all.

I’m wondering what you guys think about this, and if anybody else had a similar weird experience with this person, or if you even heard of this. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

This happened to me a while ago, and I still don’t know what this is. I only shared this experience with my friends and they always said it was somebody trolling, or trying to scare people. 

I think it was some troll without a life but I would of reported it. You never know.

• Like 8

I agree with PIney. Just a sick puppy getting cheap laughs by trying to freak you out.

If anything like that happens again, report it, because one day they might come across someone more vulnerable than you and who knows what might happen.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think it was some troll without a life but I would of reported it. You never know.

I believe I did report it once, but that person always came back. Thank you for your answer. :)

24 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I agree with PIney. Just a sick puppy getting cheap laughs by trying to freak you out.

If anything like that happens again, report it, because one day they might come across someone more vulnerable than you and who knows what might happen.

That’s true.  Thank you for answering!

By the way, I like your profile picture. :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightsoul said:

By the way, I like your profile picture. :P

A former member here, Smeagol made it for me about 10 years ago. It's suppose to be me on the trail that leads to my Miidii Hut in Chatsworth. :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nightsoul said:

That’s true.  Thank you for answering!

I attend the Quaker Meeting in your hometown sometimes for certain meetings and events and have several family members from the Quaker side that live there and Haddon Heights. :tu:

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 2:44 PM, Piney said:

I attend the Quaker Meeting in your hometown sometimes for certain meetings and events and have several family members from the Quaker side that live there and Haddon Heights. :tu:

That’s nice. How do like Haddonfield? 

Also, I see that on your interests that you like the Pine Barrens. Have you been camping there? (I don’t remember if you said you did from your  posts in the Weird NJ Experiences thread)

Edited by Nightsoul

On 18/08/2018 at 4:30 PM, Nightsoul said:

I always ended up getting creeped out and stopped replying.

What do you mean by 'always', how many times did you keep replying?

You had a sad perv on your case and you made a very big mistake by playing along.

You should never have interacted with them when they asked you if you were home alone. 

I am pleased you are safe, but also hope you have learnt a lesson from this and never do.this again. 

We hear about these kind of stories a lot, you are lucky you did not go any further to meet them or give them your address.

With all due respect, you may feel safe in the comfort of your home, but your naivity could have put you in some real danger. 

Do not go looking on the internet for this person, and do not go given personal details to people you do not know, and if they are starting to freak you out, ffs do not persue the conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

What do you mean by 'always', how many times did you keep replying?

You had a sad perv on your case and you made a very big mistake by playing along.

You should never have interacted with them when they asked you if you were home alone. 

I am pleased you are safe, but also hope you have learnt a lesson from this and never do.this again. 

We hear about these kind of stories a lot, you are lucky you did not go any further to meet them or give them your address.

With all due respect, you may feel safe in the comfort of your home, but your naivity could have put you in some real danger. 

Do not go looking on the internet for this person, and do not go given personal details to people you do not know, and if they are starting to freak you out, ffs do not persue the conversation. 

I wasn’t home alone at the time, I was just saying I was to see what they were all about. I wouldn’t ever give out my address or personal information, even back then 3 years ago. I was just curious as to what this person was all about.

I only replied when ever the person would ask me questions. All the answers weren’t truthfully of course. What I’m really curious about (I was and still am) is why he asked to open the window and get a sharp object if he’s a perv as you insisted, and why he would keep saying the same exact thing to my 2 different accounts.

15 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

What I’m really curious about (I was and still am) is why he asked to open the window and get a sharp object if he’s a perv as you insisted, and why he would keep saying the same exact thing to my 2 different accounts

Because he was a perverted freak, you got a mild one, others could have asked you to do a lot worse.

You have no idea what he was up to while asking you to do this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Because he was a perverted freak, you got a mild one, others could have asked you to do a lot worse.

You have no idea what he was up to while asking you to do this.

That’s true. Nowadays I probably wouldn’t let my curiosity get the best of me even if I thought I wasn’t in any harm. 

Back then I was thinking what if he wanted me to do some ritual or something, hence why he said to open the window and get a sharp object?

Now though after hearing about those people with the food fetishes - he might’ve just had a fetish for something like blood or some weird thing.

Also his username might’ve been “Pokémon Go” because he knows it was a popular game kids played, and he could maybe seem normal and lure more people in.

Edited by Nightsoul
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

That’s true. Nowadays I probably wouldn’t let my curiosity get the best of me even if I thought I wasn’t in any harm. 

Back then I was thinking what if he wanted me to do some ritual or something, hence why he said to open the window and get a sharp object?

Now though after hearing about those people with the food fetishes - he might’ve just had a fetish for something like blood or some weird thing.

Also his username might’ve been “Pokémon Go” because he knows it was a popular game kids played, and he could maybe seem normal and lure more people in.

Horror, Halloween, mysteries, 

This is what you are into, by mentioning rituals and blood , you clearly have been playing along with this theme, and i imagine you have given him far more info than you either care to admit too or just did not realise to.

You say he may have chosen his name because of the kids game, not everyone knows that name and how would he have known your age unleas you had indigated somewhere on line? He could also be chatting with some of your online friends as someone completely different.

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Horror, Halloween, mysteries, 

This is what you are into, by mentioning rituals and blood , you clearly have been playing along with this theme, and i imagine you have given him far more info than you either care to admit too or just did not realise to.

You say he may have chosen his name because of the kids game, not everyone knows that name and how would he have known your age unleas you had indigated somewhere on line? He could also be chatting with some of your online friends as someone completely different.

1) No, I was far too scared to give him more information. I was just answering yes or no questions, many of which I lied about.

2) I didn’t say my age on there, and on that app for sharing usernames the minimum age was 18 so there was no way I could say I was younger.

3) 3 years ago I didn’t have any online friends, not at all. Just my normal group of real life school friends. Last year when my online friends were talking about creepy experiences, it was then I brought it up to them and one suggested it was just somebody trolling and to ignore it. Plus, none of them mentioned having Kik (even though you never do know who’s telling the truth, my online friend group was pretty small, only about 2 or 3 close people).

@Nightsoul, could have been a bot. Especially if it kept typing the same things no matter your response. 

Also, Pokémon Go was only released July 2016, so it seems like it would have been a smart username to use to lure in unsuspecting children.

• Like 3

I think it was just someone trying to troll you. I don't think it's anyone that is close to you or actually knows you. I say that because it sounds like they were just targeting young females so they could try and scare them. Glad you're alright and the situation eventually ceased.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nightsoul said:

That’s nice. How do like Haddonfield? 

Also, I see that on your interests that you like the Pine Barrens. Have you been camping there? (I don’t remember if you said you did from your  posts in the Weird NJ Experiences thread)

Too crowded. 

I spent the school year in Little Camden and the summers in the Pine Barrens with my grandfather, aunt and uncle. Then I lived there all year round when I got my own place.

Naw, My grandfather was in Weird New Jersey for putting a curse on Rt.55. :lol:

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Nightsoul said:

Person: Put the sharp object to your chest.

After this person said all that, I always ended up getting creeped out and stopped replying. Even though I wasn’t alone in the house it still was strange. Whenever I didn’t reply, the person would send a lot of messages asking “are you there?” but never sounding like an actual person because, believe it or not, this person would ask the exact same thing over and over again. Months after that I got a new Kik account, and I found that “Pokémon Go” person in the message requests.

And they were asking the exact same thing as before. But this time I said I was a male, not a female to see what they would say. They didn’t reply when they read the message. As many messages as I would send, it would just say read. So I said “I’m a female actually,” and then they started replying again. Whenever I answered no to any of the questions (like if one of my parents are cops, if I’m home alone, etc.) the person would stop replying but would keep reading my messages.

This was about 2-3 years ago, and this person has never requested to message me after that (even though I don’t use Kik anymore). 

I still feel a little creeped out with the things rent was saying, and my friends would say they were just trolling. But I don’t know. I tried looking up on Google what happened, and nothing came up. Nothing at all.

I’m wondering what you guys think about this, and if anybody else had a similar weird experience with this person, or if you even heard of this. 

Is that the darkweb or a website known for attracting weirdos?

Keep away from it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Is that the darkweb or a website known for attracting weirdos?

Keep away from it.

No, just a regular app.

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Too crowded. 

I spent the school year in Little Camden and the summers in the Pine Barrens with my grandfather, aunt and uncle. Then I lived there all year round when I got my own place.

Naw, My grandfather was in Weird New Jersey for putting a curse on Rt.55. :lol:

I like Hardwick NJ and Blairstown. Hope to move there one day. ^_^

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Timothy said:

@Nightsoul, could have been a bot. Especially if it kept typing the same things no matter your response. 

Also, Pokémon Go was only released July 2016, so it seems like it would have been a smart username to use to lure in unsuspecting children.

That's an interesting bit of information.. Kind of makes it a bit more weird that the game was released 2 years ago, but the experience happened to the OP 3 years ago.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rashore said:

That's an interesting bit of information.. Kind of makes it a bit more weird that the game was released 2 years ago, but the experience happened to the OP 3 years ago.

That’s what I was thinking. But I think the game might’ve been rumored to come out before that? 

Also, the experience definitely happened more than 2 years ago, but I don’t recall exactly when so it might’ve been in between 2 and 3 years ago if that helps.