Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Megalodon

Samhain

The Megalodon was said to have been the biggest shark ever, measuring up to 60 feet long. The Megalodon had the strongest bite, stronger than the T-Rex. It was said to have been extinct 2 million years ago.

Many people claim that it’s still lurking in the ocean, only because if you think about it,  95% of the ocean, and 99% of the ocean floors are undiscovered. But if something this big is lurking in the ocean, wouldn’t we know?

I’ve watched many Real or Fake? videos on billschannel on YouTube involving various pictures of the Megalodon, and all of them turn out to be something other than the Megalodon, or just plain fake. 

So what do you think? Do you think the Megalodon might still be living in the ocean somewhere? Or would we know about something this big? 

I think there is a possibility, even though it might be small. But only because we only explored 2%  of the ocean and 1% of the ocean floors. So we don’t know what might be going on down there. But then again, if something this big was living down there, we would notice lots of large sea creatures dead, and we would at least see something right? Some people claim that they encountered the Megalodon, but there is no solid proof of it. Then again, there’s no real solid proof that it doesn’t exist anymore. The ocean is so big, almost all of it unexplored, so how would anybody know for sure? 

• Like 1

I think it would be kinda hard to hide something the size of a grey hound bus with teeth...There have been fossil teeth found of Meglodon though...And I have heard some tribe I do not recall where even reports sightings of it.....I don't think its impossible that it could be alive some where in the ocean depths...And unlike Bigfoot and others where this no evidence there is evidence here. I mean after all look at the crocodile, its survived unchanged for millions of years. 

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the current interest in the Megalodon and speculation on it's continued existence mostly originates from that mockumentary during Sharkweek a few years back, so I think there's a lot of bias right now, so I'm inclined to dimsis it.

Of course all sorts of things could and probably are still undiscovered in the abyssal layers of the ocean. But from what I have learned from googling Megalodon for a bit is that while the adults preferred the open sea, their young are believed to have lived in shallow, coastal areas, so we would probably still notice the Megalodon Babbehs swimming around.

Also consider that for the Giant Squid we have had indirect evidence for decades before we finally documented a specimen, mostly from marks on whales. In contrast I am not familiar with reports of whales with giant teeth marks from any Megalodons...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love the Meg but don't know too much about it but I think it was believed to be a shallow water shark and not a deep sea one, it makes sense because of its food chain. I also think they may have existed much later than they thought because of tooth records they found... I may be wrong?? either way the idea of it existing today really excites me... The thought of something that size under me while in a boat would be terrifying. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Movie about a megalodon comes out, thread about a megalodon shows up....coincidence?

And your point is? 

Does it matter as long has the post starts a discussion... I see news reports posted here everyday when something hits the news on that day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

And your point is? 

Does it matter as long has the post starts a discussion... I see news reports posted here everyday when something hits the news on that day.

What's to discuss? That an extinct shark still exist......

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What's to discuss? That an extinct shark still exist......

This is the Crypto section... everything discussed here doesn't exist or isn't proven to exist? I think you might be confused... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

This is the Crypto section... everything discussed here doesn't exist or isn't proven to exist? I think you might be confused... 

I think I don't actually care. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think I don't actually care. 

Obviously you do, spending time being negative in this forum.. May I suggest you avoid the forums that you don't care about and then you can save that time to put into something positive? I stay clear of forums on here because I don't really care about the content. Perhaps you could share your hobbies with people here?  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Movie about a megalodon comes out, thread about a megalodon shows up....coincidence?

I have to say that the movie was pretty fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I love the Meg but don't know too much about it but I think it was believed to be a shallow water shark and not a deep sea one, it makes sense because of its food chain. I also think they may have existed much later than they thought because of tooth records they found... I may be wrong?? either way the idea of it existing today really excites me... The thought of something that size under me while in a boat would be terrifying. 

Yeah, it's pretty freaky to think about something like that having lurked the shallows. 

3 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Obviously you do, spending time being negative in this forum.. May I suggest you avoid the forums that you don't care about and then you can save that time to put into something positive? I stay clear of forums on here because I don't really care about the content. Perhaps you could share your hobbies with people here?  

Who died and made you my boss?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Hostile angry fish... I have no time for your negativity, I have to oil up and go play naked twister now, have a lovely day xx 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes I am and it never stops. 

I can identify with that, I used to live there... lets get back on topic now please and enjoy your weekend x 

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

When the first alien invasion movies were released in the early 50's, UFO reports started to emerge. Coincidence? I think not...

• Like 1

I know there probably aren't still megs swimming around.

That said, while it makes me feel slightly safer, it also makes me kinda sad.

I like to imagine them somewhere in the depths.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I know there probably aren't still megs swimming around.

That said, while it makes me feel slightly safer, it also makes me kinda sad.

I like to imagine them somewhere in the depths.

Took us forever to get a glimpse of a giant squid, but a megalodon. I find to be highly unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Took us forever to get a glimpse of a giant squid, but a megalodon. I find to be highly unlikely. 

You'd think we would have found a non-fossilized tooth or something. 

Meh...it matters not.

I'm still gonna get nervous whenever I can't see to the bottom, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I got bored and transferred some responsibilities. 

• Haha 1

FWIW, Meg would have to eat big things, like whales. Whales routinely turn up on beaches and get necropsied. If they were killed by a single huge bite, data would exist to suggest that. The data doesn’t exist.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

This is the Crypto section... everything discussed here doesn't exist or isn't proven to exist? 

Lol, tell that to the believers, like the OP of this thread who is asking the question because they think it is a possibility.

4 hours ago, Nightsoul said:

I think there is a possibility etc etc etc.

We have had many a debate over the existence of cryptos, some really do believe they are about.

The most famous in this section is good old bigfoot. :)

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

When the first alien invasion movies were released in the early 50's, UFO reports started to emerge. Coincidence? I think not...

Similar with ghosts in pubs and hotels, note how the time leading up to halloween, out comes the youtube videos of alleged ghostly activity. :rolleyes:, yep, that old chestnut.

• Like 1